News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Factory markings, whadaya think?

Started by HeavyFuel, December 26, 2011, 07:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

Gotta try to keep up with Bull..... :icon_smile_big:

Before and after shots.

HeavyFuel

some more..

HeavyFuel

more...

A383Wing

Yer "D" in the 3rd & 4th photo don't exactly match...do it over and get it right this time

Just kidding..looks good...  :2thumbs:

although I'm not real fond of the black & white on the underside of the pumpkin

Bryan

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

...should be a "B"  :scratchchin:  Not sure I've seen a "D"  :Twocents:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Here's one I saw this past summer...  I was laying on my back, upside down to snap the pic... I hope this helps :cheers:

lexxman

wow,it looks like it just went down the line. :2thumbs:

RGA

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: RGA on December 27, 2011, 12:36:57 AM
Mine was a D

Sounds like 1/2 your paint was missing, too...  :scratchchin: In the first pic, you can clearly see the original "B" had a brush stroke to complete the "B" however, maybe a solvent was present on the diff housing, as the missing "B" portion is consistent with the rusted surface area.   :Twocents:

Here is one from an A-body, as they were marked for whichever platform they were going to be used...  :popcrn:

bull

bull

Quote from: HeavyFuel on December 26, 2011, 07:57:08 PM

Before and after shots.

Your resto looks great! :2thumbs: I haven't done the numbers on mine yet. Did you use a stencil set on yours?

lexxman

I can't see any markings on mine.Someone painted it at some time,I'm still aways from that anyway. :2thumbs:

HeavyFuel

Quote from: bull on December 27, 2011, 02:43:40 PM
Quote from: HeavyFuel on December 26, 2011, 07:57:08 PM

Before and after shots.

Your resto looks great! :2thumbs: I haven't done the numbers on mine yet. Did you use a stencil set on yours?

Thanks.   :2thumbs:

I anguished quite a while on what to do for the numbers, and eventually came up with something that worked pretty well.  I found a font in microsoft word (EngraverTextNCS, size 72) printed out what I wanted on paper, and took it to the local stamp shop .   I had them make up just the polymer part, and not mount it on an actual stamp, so I could cut the individual numbers and also get them into where I wanted to stamp.  Also, I think that route was cheaper, it cost me about 20 bucks.

It was kinda challenging to get the yellow axle stamp to look right, I'm not 100% happy with the way it turned out, but it'll work.  The polymer is firm, and squeezes the ink out from between the stamp and the metal if you push too hard, so if I did it again, I might ask for a spongey type material instead.  I had to try it a few times, so keep the damp rag ready for re-dos.   Font 72 might be just a little too big for the axle (239), but I think it worked well for the assy date (1 22).

I found a really great white paint pencil, that's what I used on the circled X.  It's high temp, and really tough, and gives just the right look.  It beat having to try to draw the circle freehand with paint, and should last forever.   Let me know if you want the name, and I'll take a pic of the label.

bill440rt

Quote from: bull on December 27, 2011, 02:41:12 PM
Dude, it's a D. The 69s had the B.

I dunno... the rear in my '68 had a "B".  :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

Quote from: bill440rt on December 27, 2011, 03:27:07 PM

I dunno... the rear in my '68 had a "B".  :shruggy:

Not that I'm a diff housing expert but that would be the first one I've heard of. Was it ever changed out to your knowledge?

bill440rt

Nope.
I've owned the car since '86, bought from the original owner. It was an 8-3/4 with an open pig, swapped out by me to 3:55's.
I'll see if I can dig up some "before rebuild" pics of the rear. I duplicated the markings as well. It had the white "X", and a big yellow "B".
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Believe it was platform-dependant, not model-year  :scratchchin:

bill440rt

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on December 27, 2011, 04:21:09 PM

That's what I always thought of as well...  :scratchchin:

jaak

Looks great.

One day (if time/money permits) I would love to do an actual 'restoration', with all the correct parts, markings, etc. Kudos to those of you with the patience and knowledge to do that!  :cheers:

Jason

maxwellwedge

Believe it was platform-dependant, not model-year  :scratchchin:

D is what is on all 68's I've seen. The B was found on most 69 B-Bodies. E-Bodies could have an F (70) or G (71) and sometimes an E as well.

Bottom line? He put back what was on that particular car....didn't copy someone elses.  :yesnod:   :2thumbs:

maxwellwedge

HeavyFuel - You did a very nice job.....It's all in the details!  :2thumbs:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 27, 2011, 06:37:18 PM

D is what is on all 68's I've seen. The B was found on most 69 B-Bodies. E-Bodies could have an F (70) or G (71) and sometimes an E as well.

That's interesting, but contradicts the initial pic which clearly shows more than a "D" and would appear to have been applied as a "B" which "wore" off with solvent or the rust (pattern) in the pic.  :popcrn: