News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How did these cars sit when new? (how to raise the rear a little)

Started by 66FBCharger, December 21, 2011, 08:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

What was the stance of our Chargers when they were new. Were they level, back end up a little or down a little?
If I put stock XHD replacement springs on my 69 R/T how would it most likely sit? Right now, I have the original springs and the car has air shocks. I want to get rid of the air shocks but I want the car to sit level or slightly higher in the back. Is there a quick, cheap temporary fix, to get the rear end up a little higher without air shocks or long shackles?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Hemidog

From what I've seen, the original cars were a little lower in the back than the front ( :eek2: IMO)
SS Leafsprings is the choice I would go with if you want a raised ass. I've got XHD springs, and they don't raise the rear much in my experience.

madmike

My car is a '68, base 383 car.  When I bought it, the original rear springs were on it, and huge (long) shackles made out of it 1/2" thick bars were installed.  Well, that was kind of a dead give-away that my springs were shot...  Most people seem to prefer their Chargers lowered, or slammed to the ground, for the 'pro-touring' look.  Not me, I like the car to sit a little higher than stock (all the way around).  While not conducive to exceptional handling, I think it looks cool...

Anyway, I bought rear springs from McVeigh's Truck Springs, pn 33-907 (mcveighstrucksprings.com).  They are arched somewhat more than stock, have six leaves on each side, and are USA made (important to me).  I have 15x10 wheels in the back of my car, and these springs provide plenty of clearance, and rid the car of the 'saggy butt' look.  I think they look excellent, and the ride is firm (can't stand a 'soft' ride).

I am pleased with them, maybe you could see if this helps you out or not.

66FBCharger

Quote from: madmike on December 21, 2011, 01:37:02 PM
My car is a '68, base 383 car.  When I bought it, the original rear springs were on it, and huge (long) shackles made out of it 1/2" thick bars were installed.  Well, that was kind of a dead give-away that my springs were shot...  Most people seem to prefer their Chargers lowered, or slammed to the ground, for the 'pro-touring' look.  Not me, I like the car to sit a little higher than stock (all the way around).  While not conducive to exceptional handling, I think it looks cool...

Anyway, I bought rear springs from McVeigh's Truck Springs, pn 33-907 (mcveighstrucksprings.com).  They are arched somewhat more than stock, have six leaves on each side, and are USA made (important to me).  I have 15x10 wheels in the back of my car, and these springs provide plenty of clearance, and rid the car of the 'saggy butt' look.  I think they look excellent, and the ride is firm (can't stand a 'soft' ride).

I am pleased with them, maybe you could see if this helps you out or not.
Madmike, i agree. The car looks better with a little rake. Do you have a picture of how the car sits with these springs? Do you know how much additional arch you have in the springs?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Budnicks

Quote from: 66FBCharger on December 21, 2011, 08:27:40 AM
What was the stance of our Chargers when they were new. Were they level, back end up a little or down a little?
If I put stock XHD replacement springs on my 69 R/T how would it most likely sit? Right now, I have the original springs and the car has air shocks. I want to get rid of the air shocks but I want the car to sit level or slightly higher in the back. Is there a quick, cheap temporary fix, to get the rear end up a little higher without air shocks or long shackles?
You could have the rear springs re-arched some maybe or add a helper spring under the existing spring pack, Taller rear tires will also help & be pretty inexpensive... I have re-arched springs on my 99 Dakota 4x4 for 10+ years now, with no issues or sagging...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

madmike

66FB Charger:  I don't have a good side view photo of the car and it's rake, but the attached picture shows how it sits in the rear.  I do plan on raising the front of the car a bit as well, with larger than stock diameter torsion bars.  I don't know how much more arch is in the new springs, vs the old ones, because the old ones were basically almost flat (no arch), so it wouldn't be a fair comparison.  If you call McViegh's (989-826-3095), I think they will tell you that their spring has about 3" of 'lift' in it, over stock.  Of course, some of this will settle out with time.  3" sounds like a lot, but I really like how my car sits now, and I plan on a taller tire in the future.  I did install new Monroe air shocks in the back, but there's only a little bit of air in them right now (maybe 20 psi at most).  I don't plan on adding any more air, it just isn't needed.  I might be towing a small 4'x8' motorcycle trailer occasionally, which is another reason I went this route.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't bother re-arching springs.  They won't hold the arch for very long, and for what it costs to do that, you could probably buy new springs.

In my opinion, these are aggressive looking cars.  When they sit up a little higher than stock, they appear even more menacing, to me.

HPP

Quote from: 66FBCharger on December 21, 2011, 08:27:40 AM

In original form, these cars actually sat pretty level. It is when guys starting putting larger than stock, aftermarket wheels and tires that the rake began to appear shortly after they drove the thing home. If you put the mopar XHD springs on it, they will be installed in a similar to original, almost flat appeaingr condition. Unless you current springs are bent backwards, they will probably provide very little lift at all. You may want to pick upa set of springs that provide additional arch. A popular and economical provider of these are Espo/Springs and Things. They can provide packs that are 1,2, or 3 inchs of arch over the stock spec. The cheapest way to is to simply add a full length spring to the pack.

Quote from: madmike on December 21, 2011, 04:37:28 PM
I do plan on raising the front of the car a bit as well, with larger than stock diameter torsion bars.  I don't know how much more arch is in the new springs, vs the old ones, because the old ones were basically almost flat (no arch), so it wouldn't be a fair comparison. 

In brand new, original form, Chrysler leafs are supposed to look flat. They will only have 1.5 to 2" of installed arch under a Charger. A truly flat spring will actually look like it is bowed backwards. You also know you can lift the front with the adjusting bolts in the lower control arm, don't you? You don't need to put a larger rate bar in to get that lift, just crank some more preload in to your existing bars.