News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vinyl Wrapping ?

Started by JMF, August 10, 2011, 11:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Anyone ever had any experience with professionally vinyl wrapping a car matte black or satin black? I'm 50/50 on whether it looks good or not, I saw one of the new Mustangs with it done a while back and it looked awesome, any idea how long it lasts ? Any pictures? Thanks

Finn

Mike (NYCMille) wrapped his 68 I believe. Looked good to me from the pictures I saw.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Troy

I looked into it for another project and it's supposed to be good for several years (depends on use I'm sure). The hard part is finding pieces large enough to cover some of the panels on our cars without a seam. I suppose if you're rally good you could make the seam almost invisible. It doesn't take a very big piece to cover most of the panels on a Ferrari or Lamborghini but the Charger's quarter is almost 7'! I heard good things about this company:
http://www.stickercity.com/3m-matte-black-vinyl-sticker-wrap-sheet.html

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

KS71owner

We've done some wraps on our own vehicles for our shop since we bought our printer last year. Most 'wrap' vinyls are available in 54" or 60" wide rolls as those are the most common sizes for large format printing, although 72" is sometimes available too. I'm not sure about the matte black vinyl, I've never used it personally but the print vinyls with an overlaminate look great and are supposed to last about 5 years or so, unprinted about 7 years. It is tricky to hide seams, especially on larger body panels. Fortunately in our case most wraps are printed and the seams get lost in the graphics.

Patronus

What do you guys think of this for a wrap?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Big Sugar

Sorry, I'd not go with a image, But I would consider a custom color, But no images in the print.

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

Budnicks

Quote from: Patronus on August 26, 2011, 10:42:06 PM
Different, cool though, what is it of ? I can't make it out...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

71charger

you should get the wrap so when your robbing a bank and driving away from the police you can hide in a alley rip off the wrapping and the cops wouldnt be able to find you. idk was funnier in my head
I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of bubble gum.

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

68X426

Quote from: Patronus on August 27, 2011, 09:06:51 PM
It's Led Zeppelin I

Well it's period correct at least, the album was released in January 1969.

What, you didn't like LZ IV? A wrap of that would really flip people out.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

KS71owner

68charger440R/T

1 of 33,514

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 68charger440R/T on November 22, 2011, 02:04:02 PM
Check this out it looks pretty good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0hmQkJbQCg

Wow.  I had no idea that it would look that good.   I'm sure that Flat Black is one of the best ones based on texture style and such.   Very interesting.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

PA Dodger

Quote from: Patronus on August 26, 2011, 10:42:06 PM

Different is good. There's already enough red, black, and B5 blue mopars. Good or bad, it would stand out at a car show.
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

ipstrategies

Patronus  any Zep wrap would be top on my list Zep IV would be inline with my 71. 
I have an old EKO 12 String Electric I keep tuned for 1 song "The Rain Song" one of my favorite LZ songs. I found this picture of Page playing one just like it

I need to get back to work on my car and less playing guitar.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

Patronus

..we may actually get this done someday. Thanks for all the good input, I think it would really stand out. I might even flow the design a bit closer and include the front wheels white...? I had also thought about a white tail stripe with the Misfits skull in it... but that shit is pretty played out these days..
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Kern Dog

Earlier this year there was a company promoting its new "Chrome" wrap. The sheets were about 3 feet wide. There was a wrapped 2011 Camaro in their ad. It looked cool as a concept, but could you imagine driving that thing on a sunny day ! ?

Budnicks

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on December 16, 2011, 10:31:04 PM
Earlier this year there was a company promoting its new "Chrome" wrap. The sheets were about 3 feet wide. There was a wrapped 2011 Camaro in their ad. It looked cool as a concept, but could you imagine driving that thing on a sunny day ! ?
There was a guy out here in Sacramento area, back in 1997ish or so that had a 67-68 Mustang race car that was wrapped with a Glossy Platinum body & semi gloss black hood, black chromed bumpers, the Platinum almost looked almost like it was Nickle plating, very reflective, very cool, it looked pretty damn good, probably a pain to drive though...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks