News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking of upgrading my mufflers - suggestions?

Started by Dodge Don, October 25, 2011, 07:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: y3chargerrt on October 30, 2011, 07:42:05 AM
I upgraded to the high flow hemi mufflers from Accurate. Slight droaning at 2K but not bad. Nice throaty idle!

I had Accurate's original Hemi mufflers and thought they were too quiet.  Then they came out with their "high flow" Hemi mufflers So I installed them.  Much deeper sound & I get no drone with my set up either.

Now they have a new Stainless magnum Mufflers....was thinking of getting a pair :scratchchin:

http://www.accurateltd.com/Stainless-Magnum-Mufflers_p_304.html

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Hmm, now there's an interesting option I never knew existed.

greymag

I have always figured that the resonators prevented the drone. It seems to be a back-pressure thing. So depending on what cam, header, x-pipe or gear you have determines when you get the drone.
My Charger gets no drone with headers, Magnaflows & full 2 1/2" pipes. My 05 Magnum with cam, headers, muffler delete & 5.7 resonators had no drone. As soon as I switched to 6.1 resonators which flow better, I got drone.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 24, 2011, 08:53:30 PM
Quote from: y3chargerrt on October 30, 2011, 07:42:05 AM
I upgraded to the high flow hemi mufflers from Accurate. Slight droaning at 2K but not bad. Nice throaty idle!

I had Accurate's original Hemi mufflers and thought they were too quiet.  Then they came out with their "high flow" Hemi mufflers So I installed them.  Much deeper sound & I get no drone with my set up either.

Now they have a new Stainless magnum Mufflers....was thinking of getting a pair :scratchchin:

http://www.accurateltd.com/Stainless-Magnum-Mufflers_p_304.html

The Magnum cutaway pic looks exactly like a MagnaFlow. Wouldn't be surprised if that's who's making them for Accurate.  ;)

Nice design but a little quieter than an Ultraflow due to the extra packing inside the case for sound absorption.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Yeahmate

Quote from: 68X426 on November 23, 2011, 02:38:07 AM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on October 28, 2011, 08:09:50 AM
I had Dyna-max Super Turbos on My 493 and they were terrible for drone, but the Ultra-Flows were great.

:Twocents: I have the Super Turbos. There is zero drone and they couldn't be quieter and still breath big. http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=superturbo

DynoMax says the Ultra Flows are much less restrictive. But in my hot rodding I get to test the power with open headers (I have Doug's cutouts) and running thru the Super Turbos. I can detect no power loss thru the mufflers. Best of all worlds: super quiet, no drone, and lots of sound at the flip of a switch. I endorse the Super Turbos.

Yeah I run Dyno Max Super Turbos (17769) on a twin 3'' H pipe system on the 572 hemi, nice and quiet can hear the stereo playing now, over the 2 1/2'' flow master on the 383, the done would kill me, I loved my car so much  :icon_smile_big: I'd wear ear plugs to take the edge off  the drone  ::)

redmist

JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

404NOTFOUND

Hey Don, well, I know you you like the sound of my 40 series Flowmasters with the big cam. I wouldn't have it any other way. In fact, I've been running wide open exhaust lately. That said, I have to admit that my Flowmasters are so loud that I worry about my hearing. Flowmaster 40 series are seriously, hard core loud on any car which makes for a hard decision. I prefer Flowmaster hands down due to their very thick steel, welded construction with no glass packing that will change over time.  Flowmaster has 44 and 50 series that might suit you better. They would probably have a deeper, smoother tone too. 40 series is for crazy people like me.  :icon_smile_tongue:
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.