News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopar Electronic Dist vs. MSD

Started by Charger4404spd, December 18, 2011, 11:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger4404spd

Would you notice and performance gains by swapping to a MSD distributor? Which dist would you recommend for a mild 440?

elacruze

There's room for both, and the contentious debate for each.  :scratchchin:

I don't see the benefit to run the MSD in a mild engine. I have the MP OEM style distributor, box and coil in my 505" and it runs flawlessly. The benefit of the MSD is in the multi-spark at low RPM (improves ignition of poor mixtures due to big cams) and it doesn't lose power at higher RPMs where coil charging time (dwell) is short and plug resistance high due to cylinder pressures in high-performance engines. You don't require any of that in a mild build, although there is no downside other than the work involved and the non-availability of the parts if you're out of town.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Ghoste

Are we discussing the MSD control box or the distributor though?

Charger4404spd

Quote from: Ghoste on December 18, 2011, 04:15:08 PM
Are we discussing the MSD control box or the distributor though?

I was referring to both.

Ghoste

Ah, well I much prefer my MSD control box over the MP one.  I don't have any experience with the MSD distributor but given the cost difference between the two I can't see any reason for me to try one.  The MP electronic distributor is a helluva bargain IMO.

Charger4404spd

A383Wing

I'm running the Chrysler Electronic systems in both 66 Chargers...

in the Daytona, I'm running the MSD red control box with the Chrysler distributor as the triggering device...

happy with both, not a real notice of difference between the 2 systems

Bryan

BigBlockSam

i noticed a big difference in the 440 6 pak motor in my r/t . it was like it came to life .  :Twocents:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Ghoste

With the distributor or the multistrike?

Chryco Psycho

I have found that if the ign system is in good condition with good plugs & wires & powerful coil thee is nothing to be gained with the MSD except the rev limiter

BigBlockSam

QuoteWith the distributor

just the msd distributor over the points one .
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Ghoste

Oh okay, over the points.  I was wondering how you could gain much over the electronic Mopar one for some reason.

A383Wing

like I stated...I did not notice much if any gain going from Mopar Electronic over to MSD

Bryan

firefighter3931

Firecore sells a nice Billet aluminum distributor that is a work of art and functions quite well.  :2thumbs:

I've used both MP and MSD distributors in the past but my next one will be a Firecore unit. They are available as a stand alone unit or mechanical advance for use with an external ECU.

The mechanical is close in price to the MP unit but is much nicer visually and timing is steadier at speed. Both distributors are available in standard or male terminal (HEI) style caps.

The stand alone distributor eliminates the ballist resistor.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

Does the stand alone one have it tucked inside like a Pertronix or is it all on top with a big GM looking cap?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on December 19, 2011, 09:23:39 PM
Does the stand alone one have it tucked inside like a Pertronix or is it all on top with a big GM looking cap?

The ready to run looks pretty much like a stock dizzy with vacuum advance and uses the Mallory advance mechanism which is very easy to adjust for mechanical advance. Available with both style distributor caps. The ECU is self contained  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

Interesting, does Firecore manufacture that themselves Ron or are they having someone do it for them?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on December 23, 2011, 07:48:01 AM
Interesting, does Firecore manufacture that themselves Ron or are they having someone do it for them?

They're manufactured by someone else but built to Firecore specifications.  :2thumbs:

These distributors have been independantly tested and have passed with flying colors. Rock steady timing at 8000rpm with zero spark scatter/bounce.....Don at FBO tested them and was very impressed. Tim at FHO uses the Firecore distributors & Wiresets on all his crate Hemi engines so you know he's pleased with the product.  :icon_smile_big:

Here's my story : I currently have an MP distributor firing off the 572 because the brand new MSD pro-billet distributor doesn't work. It arrived with a defective pickup and won't fire the motor. The other thing i don't like about the MSD unit is their mechanical advance system which employs bushings to limit mechanical advance. The most initial timing you can dial in is 18* using the black bushing....if you want or need more you're SOL. That is not a problem with the Firecore unit which is infinately more adjustable.

The Firecore unit is also smaller in diameter so it fits better with aftermarket heads & valvecovers. When i was mocking up the MSD unit with the sheet metal valvecovers and Indy heads there was an interferance problem. I had to grind the valvecovers to clear the distributor cap. This would not have been a problem with the Firecore unit.

Ron

Ghoste

I know I sound like the "random audience member" planted in an infomercial, but since you are a Firecore dealer, where do they come in pricewise?

firefighter3931

The ready to run unit is $239 & the mechanical is $189. Nice pricing for a quality piece.  :2thumbs:

Ron

no318

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 24, 2011, 11:44:18 AM
The ready to run unit is $239 & the mechanical is $189. Nice pricing for a quality piece.  :2thumbs:

Ron
What is the difference.  Can they be used with a MP module (as opposed to an MSD box)? 

Ghoste

Doesn't require either, I read it to be all self contained.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on December 23, 2011, 10:21:01 AM
I know I sound like the "random audience member" planted in an infomercial, but since you are a Firecore dealer, where do they come in pricewise?

The ready to run with built in ECU is $245 for the RB engine & the mechanical advance unit is $195 for the same engine (RB)

Pricing is different for the lowdeck and small block engines.

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: no318 on December 24, 2011, 01:44:26 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 24, 2011, 11:44:18 AM

Ron
What is the difference.  Can they be used with a MP module (as opposed to an MSD box)? 

The mechanical advance unit can be used with a Mopar ECU. I just has the 2 wires for the pickup like the MP distributor.

Ron

Ghoste

So the mechanical one is the unit if you want to run a multi strike?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on December 26, 2011, 02:34:36 PM
So the mechanical one is the unit if you want to run a multi strike?

Yep  :2thumbs:

Ron