News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What daily driver would you chose if you were in my position?

Started by MoparMotel, December 14, 2011, 03:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparMotel

Hi

I'm looking for a new daily driver and wanted some honest opinions. I'm graduating from college this coming Saturday and am going to be going into real estate buying and selling properties for my dad and a few other people. I am going to be driving realistically 50-60 miles per day. Right now I've got a 2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4x4 with a 6" lift and 35" tires. I love my truck for weekends and pulling a trailer, plus it's fast as hell with the PPE Programmer. My thing is that it is not a practical vehicle for driving to and from houses and also having a potential client ride with me (they probably couldn't get in it comfortably, I don't have steps or running boards).

I am going to keep the truck because that is what I use to pull a trailer or go to the sand dunes riding. What would be a good full size 4 door car or small SUV. I'm looking for something that's 4 door, comfortable, and gets decent mileage (would like a minimum of 18-20 MPG). I would also like something 4x4 or All Wheel Drive, but this is not necessary since I have the truck.

What would you recommend or currently own that you would recommend. I'd like to look for something 2003-2004 or newer with less than 100k miles (preferably somewhere between 50-75k since I would like to keep it for a few years and sell it around 200k).

This vehicle would also make some weekend road trips to a destination that is 260 miles one way.

Some of what I've looked at is Chevy Equinox/Cruze Turbo, Dodge Charger/Magnum with the 3.5L V6, Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi (Worried about MPG)  Honda Pilot or CRV, or Toyota 4runner.

Any others I should look into?

Thanks
1968 Dodge Charger

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Ghoste

TK73

Honda Accord

My driver is a Mustang GT but I don't transport clients... or much for that matter...
Does haul a$$ though
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

JT01

Honda Accord thats what I have and love it 225,000 miles and still runs like a top and gets over 30 mpg

Cooter

Honda as long as it's a stick shift. The Auto's seem to go down around 200K miles.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bobs66440

Have to agree regarding the Honda. Also, I have a '07 Infiniti G35X AWD and it is awesome all year, but they can be pricey, even used. I think the Hyundai Sonatas are a good value also. 

Vainglory, Esq.

elacruze

Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on December 14, 2011, 01:45:14 PM
Subaru Impreza or Legacy

I did a TON of research on a replacement for my Mother's old Dodge full-size van, the only given being it had to be 4x4 because of her new snow-belt house and long sloping driveway and it had to be under $50k. (not too hard there).
She no longer needs the space of a full-size but still has a small trailer, and drives about 5-10k miles a year.
After all, I ended up on the Subaru Forester. I didn't check mileage since it wasn't significant for her, but it wins every other comparison in the daily-driver category. Best 4x4 traction, great space for non-fullsize vehicle, available towing package with reasonable engine upgrades and a stainless steel warranty. All at 1/2 to 2/3 the price of American pickups and vans. Other smaller SUVs may be comparable in price and warranty, but the Subaru 4x4 drivetrain is far and away the best.  :Twocents:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

JT01

Quote from: Cooter on December 14, 2011, 12:24:32 PM
Honda as long as it's a stick shift. The Auto's seem to go down around 200K miles.
If forgot to add that on my post mine is a 5 speed. Stay away from 1998-2002 auto

Wicked72

this is my daily http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,87218.0.html 40 mpgs with 207k miles on it with plenty more to go!!! its comfortable, historic, and cheap!!!!
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

rick.d

Toyota's are on sale AGAIN. This time its the "Last chance clearance event"...
I don't recommend the Proud though. Personally. I would go with one of them 4New door Chargers with AWD.

rick.d

Meant "Prius" not 'Proud" in last post....sent from phone and it changes words sometimes. :brickwall:

bakerhillpins

I'm not sure what class of real estate you plan on buying/selling but from the sales point of view you will most likely be driving clients to and from locations and you need to make sure you keep up appearances and keep your clients comfortable. Want to keep them in a good mood when they view properties so they are in the buying mood! A Honda is a great car, so are Yotas but make sure you get something roomy, comfortable, and CLEAN and then work on the mileage :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Tilar

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on December 14, 2011, 08:07:06 AM
2003 +   ford Crown victoria p71 interceptor  :cheers:

Definitley a P71. Those cars just scream respect and have lots of little extras that the normal Crown Vic doesn't have.

Honda??? Toyota??? Pffft.  :slap:  :slap:  :slap:   :smilielol:  :smilielol:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Mopar440+6

After hearing about the success my in-laws have had with Acura sedans for the past two decades, I bought my wife a used 2004 Acura TL with 55k on the clock a little over a year ago and I L-O-V-E that car. Great mileage, easy to maintain, no problems and COMFORTABLE. Does great in the snow with all season tires. My next daily driver will almost certainly be an Acura or a Honda...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Tilar on December 14, 2011, 06:42:39 PM
Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on December 14, 2011, 08:07:06 AM
2003 +   ford Crown victoria p71 interceptor  :cheers:

Definitley a P71. Those cars just scream respect and have lots of little extras that the normal Crown Vic doesn't have.

Honda??? Toyota??? Pffft.  :slap:  :slap:  :slap:   :smilielol:  :smilielol:

Exactly!

The last honda, toyota, import I bought was, ummm.... NEVER  :patriot:

Wicked72

yaya id be the same way but im is poor and nothing from the us gets mpgs that I can afford. kills me the sacrifice power and fun and what dreams are made of but for me driving 140 miles round trip will bankrupt me.

Dans 68

Quote from: Ghoste on December 14, 2011, 08:18:40 AM
I vote the Magnum.

:iagree:  You're going to be showing clients around...it helps if the ride is respectable and staid.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Wicked72

I vote classic charger! one hell of an ice breaker hahaha  :rofl:

Nothing like driving clients around in a "Cop Car"... :lol:  Unless of course your selling houses in the ghetto.

Personally I'd look for something that fits the type of property you'll be going into. If your selling average houses to average people Id buy something pretty average, which your list of cars is. I'd read reviews on all vehicles and choose something safe and reliable. Subaru might look the best but also comes with expensive repair bills.

Toyota or Honda would be a good choice.

Rolling_Thunder

what's your budget ?   

I personally think a classy but also fun gar with decent MPG would be the Chrysler 300 - roomy, 4 door, and just more professional looking than a maggie or a Charger.     :Twocents:   came with a V6 as well as a hemi - 20+ mpg - tons of aftermarket support...       just saying... 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

greenpigs

Quote from: elacruze on December 14, 2011, 01:55:45 PM
Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on December 14, 2011, 01:45:14 PM
Subaru Impreza or Legacy

I did a TON of research on a replacement for my Mother's old Dodge full-size van, the only given being it had to be 4x4 because of her new snow-belt house and long sloping driveway and it had to be under $50k. (not too hard there).
She no longer needs the space of a full-size but still has a small trailer, and drives about 5-10k miles a year.
After all, I ended up on the Subaru Forester. I didn't check mileage since it wasn't significant for her, but it wins every other comparison in the daily-driver category. Best 4x4 traction, great space for non-fullsize vehicle, available towing package with reasonable engine upgrades and a stainless steel warranty. All at 1/2 to 2/3 the price of American pickups and vans. Other smaller SUVs may be comparable in price and warranty, but the Subaru 4x4 drivetrain is far and away the best.  :Twocents:

I would have bought an Outback but the only thing that held me back was price, the turbo version.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

bill440rt

Quote from: bakerhillpins on December 14, 2011, 06:38:50 PM
I'm not sure what class of real estate you plan on buying/selling but from the sales point of view you will most likely be driving clients to and from locations and you need to make sure you keep up appearances and keep your clients comfortable. Want to keep them in a good mood when they view properties so they are in the buying mood! A Honda is a great car, so are Yotas but make sure you get something roomy, comfortable, and CLEAN and then work on the mileage :2thumbs:

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on December 16, 2011, 01:53:08 AM
what's your budget ?   

I personally think a classy but also fun gar with decent MPG would be the Chrysler 300 - roomy, 4 door, and just more professional looking than a maggie or a Charger.     :Twocents:   came with a V6 as well as a hemi - 20+ mpg - tons of aftermarket support...       just saying... 

I agree with both of these posts, great advice.
You need this car to haul clients around as well for showing real estate?? You'd want to consider something comfy with room. Also consider you might be hauling more than 2 people on occasion, depending on the culture of the family looking for a house. Cramming into a small Honda or Toyota model (and a stick to boot), might lead to a potential lost sale.
A friend of mine sells real estate, he uses a Pathfinder, has leather interior, etc. 4-wheel drive for the winter to boot. A used AWD 300 with a V6 would be a great choice as well if you're going sedan, Magnum too if you have to put supplies or something in the back (signs, etc). I remember looking at houses, our agent drove an Aztek.  :eek2:  I couldn't wait to get outta that thing.
I guess it boils down to versatility, comfort, dependability, and economy.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce