News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Efin' Mice!!

Started by Stretch, December 15, 2011, 09:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

I picked up the rebuilt 360 from a buddy who was a Drag racer and was getting out of it. It was his spair mill and it had been sitting in his shop for quite some time. I think I paid $150 for it and a set of b-body race headders. He gave my money back when I found this under the intake. What a mess. What a shame! I hope to salvage at least somthing but I'm not holding my breath. The bottom of the aluminum intake was rotted through from the mouse piss. The nest was packed solid in the valley. I'll post more pics as I dig into this thing.

Look close at the cam. You can see on the front lobs it was never turned over after assembly. Look at the back of the cam. You can't even make out the oil pump/dist. drive gear. They have become one. :smilielol:

I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

Old Moparz

What a mess.  ::)

I had a 440 short block in my shed for years covered in plastic before I finally had a chance to move it to the garage. When I did, several of the cylinders were filled with the crap the mice make nests with. I know it isn't as bad as what you posted, I hope just a good cleaning of the walls will correct the surface.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

RECHRGD

GOD!!  I HATE MICE!!!!!!!! :flame: :flame: :flame:
13.53 @ 105.32

Stretch

I took a pic of the nest when I lifted the intake but I can't seem to find it. I also took one of the bottom of the intake. I'll post them if I can locate them.

ACUDANUT

That engine is trashed..Glad you got your money back....I guess he never thought about putting mice poisen in his garage.

68X426

Is that why a SBC is called a mouse motor?

:naughty:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

bull

We had a big mice problem a few years back but I started setting traps in the garage and about a year ago we got a cat - no problems since. They had been stealing the dog's food and packing my heater box and decklid with it. Apparently the dog had just sat there and watched them do it half the time. She was a real guard dog, let me tell you. ::) The cat spends her entire summer catching mice so I let her sleep 23 hours a day during the winter.

I did find a "leftover" the other day when I decided to clear coat and install the Charger's fuel tank. It had been sitting for years and naturally it had gotten some junk inside it but I didn't expect to see a mouse carcass hit the floor when I took the air wand and blew it out.

Stretch

Dryer sheets keep the mice away and smell nice too.

RallyeMike

Wow that sucks.

Two cats here. No problems with rodents.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Stretch

Quote from: RallyeMike on December 15, 2011, 03:36:21 PM
Wow that sucks.

It's horrifying isn't it. I'm kinda looking forward to seeing just how deep the damage goes. It kinda looks like it spent time on the Titanic.

BigBlockSam

wow  :o that motor is toast . when i bought my superbee a lot of the under hood wiring was bare . mice had ate all the rubber off of it .
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

jb666

Quote from: Stretch on December 15, 2011, 03:25:39 PM

They sure do.. The first couple of seasons we were closing up our summer place our neighbors would see us putting BOXES of drier sheets everywhere.... Come Spring we were the only ones without mice... Now they do it.  :brickwall:

(Moth balls too, but they don't smell as nice).

Wicked72

lmao looks like my car!!! I vacuumed gallons of roof rats poo out...horrible and dangerous :brickwall:
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Drache

Quote from: jb666 on December 15, 2011, 08:22:19 PM
Quote from: Stretch on December 15, 2011, 03:25:39 PM

They sure do.. The first couple of seasons we were closing up our summer place our neighbors would see us putting BOXES of drier sheets everywhere.... Come Spring we were the only ones without mice... Now they do it.  :brickwall:

(Moth balls too, but they don't smell as nice).

OR you get the mice we have here who'll have a nest made from dryer sheets and moth balls. Nothing scares these buggers away.  :brickwall:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Patronus

mix some oatmeal with powdered plaster mix next to a bowl of water. Then shank em into the woods with a 3 iron  :shruggy:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

stripedelete

CATS!

For 15+ years I stored my charger (a driver) in a garage on a 10 acre, semi wooded, lot.  The bottom panel was out of the overhead door and there was a 50 house subdivision next door.

Whenever I checked on the car there was at least one cat in the building and sometime five or six.   When I got it out it in the spring it would be covered with paw prints - but never scratched or sprayed.  During that time I had zero rodent issues.

They've disappeared over the last 10 years.  Maybe a change in people keeping indoor/outdoor cats.  Maybe coyotes.  But I like to think they couldn't get cooler than a Charger so when I moved it they gave up on the clubhouse. ;)

PA Dodger

Been there, but nothing to that extent. I read somewhere that mice hate the smell of Irish Spring soap.I put a couple bars of soap in each car. The bars had gnaw marks on them the next time I looked. I think thats the mouse way of flipping me off. :rotz:
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

jaak

I had a 440 stored in my shop a few years back, after uncovering it after a couple of years, mice had eat the boots off the plug wires!

Jason

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: PA Dodger on December 16, 2011, 08:25:33 PM
Been there, but nothing to that extent. I read somewhere that mice hate the smell of Irish Spring soap.I put a couple bars of soap in each car. The bars had gnaw marks on them the next time I looked. I think thats the mouse way of flipping me off. :rotz:

Makes me think of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRZXEoLgD1I
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

1969chargerrtse

I have 9 motor powered things in my shed.  I always have a trap with peanut butter on the floor.  Got 8 mice this month, but none are building homes in my equipment.  :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Stretch

I had some free time last friday night so I dug into the "mouse piss 360" to see how many beers it takes to tare one down and to see just how deep the damage goes.

Stretch

Looks like it takes one beer to take it down to the short block!

Stretch

As you can see by the next few pics this engine came from the factory with the ultra rare light weight race crank! It's so light it levitates! :lol:
It also came with solid lifters! Stuck solid! You can also see it only takes four beers to prep this POS for the scrap heap! All I saved was the flex plate, valve covers, harmonic balancer and timing cover.

I have torn down alot of engines over the years and I have never had to beat the crank out of a block with a 4lb. hammer before.

Steve P.

In 2005 I went out to Vegas to pick up my 65'. This car had gone all these years in California clean and unhurt in any way. I get it to Florida and it sits on the trailer a few weeks while my back recoups. One gorgeous day I went out and pulled the cover off the car. WHAT STINKS??? I opened the door of the car and find it is coming from inside the car. Open the trunk and see nothing but a plastic bag that I was sure I had a tail light lens in and put in the glove box. Sure as shit, I open the glove box and there is the lens without the bag...

Because the trunk body plugs were out the fruit rats decided to use my car for their home. So I grabbed a container of baby powder and sprinkled it all over the inside of the trunk. Then set a gauntlet of rat traps. The next day I opened the trunk and had found lotttts of prints and a few bloody rats in the traps.  Added more powder and put a brick over one of the holes and weighted it down. Set a bigger yet gauntlet. Over the next week or so I had nailed many rats. Now that I wasn't seeing new tracks anywhere I plugged the other holes and went inside the car to figure out why it stunk inside. When trying to open the pass. side back window it only went down a few inches. (That's strange)... Oh yeah, they came in from the small space between the top and base of the back seat, of course eating the divider panel that WAS in great shape and then eat their way through the side panel and into the area under the window where I found a few more deaduns and a ton of orange peels and some other plastic bags from somewhere.. Half the stuffing from under the base seat and an 1157 bulb... (WHO KNOWS)!!

Most of what they did was going to be replaced anyway, but the worst smell in the World.. I had put moth balls in the trunk of my other 65' and it did nothing to keep them out..

What really pisses me off is that I DON'T EVEN HAVE A FRUIT TREE!!! All my jackass neighbors do though and none of them eat the fruit!!!!  :flame:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Tilar

Quote from: Stretch on January 10, 2012, 05:42:25 PM

:scope:  As a veteran beer drinker I can see the problem right off... You're not drinking them fast enough.  :cheers:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Stretch

Quote from: Tilar on January 10, 2012, 06:47:30 PM

:scope:  As a veteran beer drinker I can see the problem right off... You're not drinking them fast enough.  :cheers:

Maybe I just work faster than your giving me credit for! ;D

Silver R/T

that thing looks like it's straight out of Titanic
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Tilar

Quote from: Stretch on January 10, 2012, 07:06:52 PM
Quote from: Tilar on January 10, 2012, 06:47:30 PM

:scope:  As a veteran beer drinker I can see the problem right off... You're not drinking them fast enough.  :cheers:

Maybe I just work faster than your giving me credit for! ;D

haha, maybe so... That or maybe I'm drinking them too fast.  :scratchchin:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Drache

These mouse stories are sure scaring a guy who currently has his car in winter storage...  :rotz:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Stretch

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 10, 2012, 08:52:10 PM
that thing looks like it's straight out of Titanic

LOL That was exactly my first thought!

Stretch

Quote from: Drache on January 11, 2012, 08:25:21 AM
These mouse stories are sure scaring a guy who currently has his car in winter storage...  :rotz:

Dryer sheets!! They work wonders! I've been putting them in my car for years now. In the trunk, under the hood, inside the car. They smell nice and the rodants stay away. I found mouse droppings in my trunk every spring untill I started putting dryer sheets in the car. Now I don't at all.

Drache

Quote from: Stretch on January 11, 2012, 08:57:26 AM
These mouse stories are sure scaring a guy who currently has his car in winter storage...  :rotz:

Dryer sheets!! They work wonders! I've been putting them in my car for years now. In the trunk, under the hood, inside the car. They smell nice and the rodants stay away. I found mouse droppings in my trunk every spring untill I started putting dryer sheets in the car. Now I don't at all.

Ive tried dryer sheets, irish spring soap, moth balls, etc. Some of these mice we have around here are not like those sissy city mice most people deal with  :icon_smile_big:

These country mice around here are something else.....

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Drache on January 11, 2012, 09:05:49 AM
Quote from: Stretch on January 11, 2012, 08:57:26 AM
These mouse stories are sure scaring a guy who currently has his car in winter storage...  :rotz:

Ive tried dryer sheets, irish spring soap, moth balls, etc. Some of these mice we have around here are not like those sissy city mice most people deal with  :icon_smile_big:

These country mice around here are something else.....

I agree. Seems like these country mice we are hungey for anything..Moth balls are a dessert for them... Use Mouse traps or poisen.