News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you automatically look to Chrysler Corp. first when buying a car?

Started by bull, December 14, 2011, 10:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your SOP when buying a car, new or used?

I refuse to look beyond Chrysler when buying a car
I always exhaust all Chrysler offerings first before looking elsewhere
I only look to domestic car companies
All makes are on the table from the start when I buy
I buy the first cheap POS that lands in my lap

bull

Option #2 seems to describe me best. Usually the first place I look is Chrysler before considering other brands (and I look very hard) but if/when I get past that it seems all brands are on the table. Still, it's a rare ocassion when I can't find a Chrysler product to fit my needs.

I guess I'd rather push a Dodge than drive a... whatever.

Paul G

Chrysler is first for me. I cant say why?? I have owned lots of brands. Just prefer to stay "home" with a Chrysler product. Been that way all my life. If I cant find anything I like in a Chrysler than I go to the other domestic brands. I worked in an American steel plant most of my life. Prefer to buy American. Keep the Amercian workers fed, and American profits in America.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

bull

Quote from: Paul G on December 14, 2011, 10:27:14 PM
Chrysler is first for me. I cant say why?? I have owned lots of brands. Just prefer to stay "home" with a Chrysler product. Been that way all my life. If I cant find anything I like in a Chrysler than I go to the other domestic brands. I worked in an American steel plant most of my life. Prefer to buy American. Keep the Amercian workers fed, and American profits in America.

My mentality is similar. Not sure why but I know I'm very much a loyalist and buying something other than Chrysler kind of feels like adultery.

Fred

The charger is one thing but the daily driver quite another. Of course living in Australia we tend to be mostly Ford or Holden (GM) orientated. But above all I have to like and enjoy what I'm driving and looks are also a big factor. Therefore I will look at all options.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Dans 68

Last new car was the spouse's 2007 Volvo S-80. She wanted that car. Nice cruiser and pretty darn safe to ride in. I would consider any brand or make at the start, but prejudices do come into play along the way.  :Twocents:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

RallyeMike

Chrysler sold me two lemons. I'm guessing it cost them about $20,000 in parts, labor and loss of value on the vehicles. For me it was mostly just a waste of my time and a lot of aggravation. I'm too loyal to allow them to lose money on me like that, so I won't buy any more new Mopars (though I still look at used ones that have proven track records).

So my answer is: I consider all other brands.

QuotePrefer to buy American. Keep the Amercian workers fed, and American profits in America.

In 2007, considering % of parts parts, manufacturing, and assembly, none of the top 10 most-"American" cars were Mopars. In fact, three "Japanese" brand vehicles were on the list: Toyota Camry, Siennna, and Tundra.

Things have changed a little in 2011. Mopars are back on the list, though there are still three cars that are considered by most to be "Japanese":

1. Ford Sport Trac -- 90 percent made in the U.S.
2. Mercury Mountaineer -- 85 percent.
3. Ford Explorer -- 85 percent.
4. Dodge Dakota -- 84 percent.
5. Dodge Avenger -- 83 percent.
6. Dodge Grand Caravan -- 82 percent.
7. Chrysler 200 -- 81 percent.
8. Toyota Tundra -- 80 percent.
9. Toyota Sequoia -- 80 percent.
10. Toyota Camry -- 80 percent.

(Source: Bankrate.com)

So buying a Toyota Camry is more supportive of America than a Ram 2500 (assembled in Mexico).

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

bull

Strange. I know I saw the Dodge Ram (1500 I think) on one of the made in America index top 10 lists at 5 or 6. The criteria must differ from site to site because the cars.com list is a lot different. Only one Mopar on that one: http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&subject=ami&story=amMade0611

Cooter

Yep, first "American" "Mopar" I bought that was fuel injected in my f**king life is assembled in Mexico...A 1999 Dodge Ram 2500.

Just goes to show you, the "New "Chrysler ain't all it is cracked up to be.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

hemi68charger

Call me anal or stupid, but I always try my darnest to get a Chrysler product first..........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

kab69440

I used to. Anymore, if it has two doors and a manual transmission, if I can fit under the ceiling, and if there is enough money in my pocket to buy it, I just found my new beater.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Ghoste

Paul G

Quote from: RallyeMike on December 15, 2011, 02:06:35 AM
Chrysler sold me two lemons. I'm guessing it cost them about $20,000 in parts, labor and loss of value on the vehicles. For me it was mostly just a waste of my time and a lot of aggravation. I'm too loyal to allow them to lose money on me like that, so I won't buy any more new Mopars (though I still look at used ones that have proven track records).

So buying a Toyota Camry is more supportive of America than a Ram 2500 (assembled in Mexico).

I cant say any particular brand I have owned in the past is more prone to making lemons. I have had my share from Chevy as well as Dodge and the rest. My brand new 79 Chevy van was the worst. I eventually sold it to a guy in town. That thing had holes through the fenders in four years. My b-i-l had a brand new Toyota that burned oil bad, eventually replaced the engine, then it leaked like a sieve. They all break. Seems like the Asians have figured out how to prolong the life of parts better than anyone.

I still consider Canada and Mexico American. They are our brothers attached at the hip. What bothers me most about buying Asian and European is the corporate profits leave here. I just like our money to stay here in our land. Don't get me wrong, I am all for a global market place. Competition breeds excellence. I would love to DD a little Asian pocket rocket, WRX, Evo, etc. They scream. The whole thing kind of pulls at you both ways dont it?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

jb666

My '96 Indy Ram was an amazing truck.. My SST was equally as awesome and NEVER gave me a problem..My '95 Ram 1500 is still running 200k miles later(I sold it to a friend). But, my '06 Charger was a massive POS lemon.

That said, it depends. I love diesel trucks, and the powertrain in a Dodge Diesel is amazing.. But the body rots out from under them (in the belt).

So, my answer is that I'll look at any domestic brand but will ONLY buy domestic.

Troy

Where's the option for "I refuse to step into a Chrysler dealership"? Every horrible car - or dealer part - buying experience for me has been courtesy of Chrysler. And that's not just local either as I'm not too picky about where (in the US) I buy my cars as long as I get what I want. Considering their quality still lags behind almost everyone else, when you add it all together I just don't feel like putting myself through the hassle/frustration (like I want to spend even more time dealing with the dealer). So yeah, I own 5 Mopars but none are newer than 1976 and I'll probably keep it that way (unless I end up with a Viper "one of these days").

For what it's worth, I'm a "best bang for the buck" guy and not very brand loyal. I will buy the best quality/performance that I can afford (of any product) - no matter the name on the badges. I also have to like something visually and, as car manufacturers change design styles, it can be tough to find something I like from the same brand over a long time span.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

I'd say I only buy domestic branded cars as everything I own is from each of the big 3. My "newest car" including my daily driver is 1977, and I will probably never buy a brand new car. The Challenger would be on the top of my new car list though if I had to buy one.

I'd rather spend the same amount of money and get something that's old, goes hard, cool, reliable and probably still have cash left over in my pocket.

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

RallyeMike

QuoteStrange. I know I saw the Dodge Ram (1500 I think) on one of the made in America index top 10 lists at 5 or 6. The criteria must differ from site to site because the cars.com list is a lot different. Only one Mopar on that one: http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&subject=ami&story=amMade0611

Yea. That's why I named my source. There are probabaly a hundred ways and opinions on determining what % of a car is Amercican depending on how you weigh engineering, materials, sub-assemblies, assemblies, transportation, sales, etc. etc. At least people are able to take an honest look at it and know that there really is no such thing as a 100% American car. Even the top "American" car is only 85-90% Amercian.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

ACUDANUT

So my answer is: I consider all other brands.

QuotePrefer to buy American. Keep the Amercian workers fed, and American profits in America.

In 2007, considering % of parts parts, manufacturing, and assembly, none of the top 10 most-"American" cars were Mopars. In fact, three "Japanese" brand vehicles were on the list: Toyota Camry, Siennna, and Tundra.

Things have changed a little in 2011. Mopars are back on the list, though there are still three cars that are considered by most to be "Japanese":

1. Ford Sport Trac -- 90 percent made in the U.S.
2. Mercury Mountaineer -- 85 percent.
3. Ford Explorer -- 85 percent.
4. Dodge Dakota -- 84 percent.
5. Dodge Avenger -- 83 percent.
6. Dodge Grand Caravan -- 82 percent.
7. Chrysler 200 -- 81 percent.
8. Toyota Tundra -- 80 percent.
9. Toyota Sequoia -- 80 percent.
10. Toyota Camry -- 80 percent.

(Source: Bankrate.com)

I agree with most of this...Except..Japanese cars are still owned the the Japanse,,Your still helping them out, as opposed to buying a Ford or GM. :Twocents:

68X426

Just test drove a 300C and it was awesome. I see that Motor Trend picked it as runner-up for Car of the Year.

So yeah I still look at Fiat.... errrr Chrysler, first.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

No, but I only buy from domestics - and that does not mean "domestic assembled"

Ford, GM, and Chrysler - only  :patriot:

Ponch ®

before the LXs, Chrysler had no decent RWD cars, so I used to look at GMs (I hate Mustangs). Now I look at Chrysler first. Not buying a car any time soon, but hypothetically speaking, I'd be looking at a 2012 300SRT8 or Challenger.

If for some reason I decided to bail on the 300, I'd probably go for an Audi A5.

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Ponch ®

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on December 15, 2011, 02:06:26 PM

Ford, GM, and Chrysler - only  :patriot:

oh ok...like my domestic Charger that was assembled in Canada with a Mexican engine and German transmission?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Ponch ® on December 15, 2011, 02:11:42 PM
Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on December 15, 2011, 02:06:26 PM

Ford, GM, and Chrysler - only  :patriot:

oh ok...like my domestic Charger that was assembled in Canada with a Mexican engine and German transmission?

Yes.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

No, I don't agree. Toyota banked the profits, overall.

chargerboy69

Quote from: Troy on December 15, 2011, 11:47:05 AM
Where's the option for "I refuse to step into a Chrysler dealership"? Every horrible car - or dealer part - buying experience for me has been courtesy of Chrysler.

I want this choice too. . . Chrysler is making nothing now I want. . . . Ok, some of the Jeep line I like, but they can keep the rest.  Hard to get excited about a line of cars with all the same stupid grill.

If I were dumb enough to buy a new vehicle, I would walk into a Ford dealer. But of course, I never want a new car payment again, so I do guess I do not have to worry about why I would not buy anything from Mopar.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford