News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 Charger W/ 383 Idles great! But dies after I take it around the block?

Started by dirtycharger, April 19, 2012, 08:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtycharger

Hello Guys/Gals,

I inherited this 73 Charger from my father roughly 6 months ago. I have a strong Love-Hate for this damn car.  :flame: ;D
I really suck with these old cars... I'd really appreciate any help as I trully miss this car and all these "mechanics I keep paying to fix things arent rele that great apparently.

When I first got the car it ran amazingly! But I let it stay at a friends house for a few weeks when I was moving and of course wouldn't you know all these "Issues popped up"

1. 383 was fully rebuilt about 10k miles ago ( My dad spent a total of 3k doing it)
2. Edelbrock with electric choke 600 or 750 ( I don't remember which) 4 barrell

The issue right now is...
It runs AMAZINGLY in Park/Neutral. Revs amazingly and sounds perfect.
But as soon as you put it in drive and or reverse it starts to boggg down. (loss of power and
It will drive while cold around the block once or twice but as soon as I go around again it typically starts to sputter/lose power and eventually stalls.
:( I miss my power! :)

Known issues are
My choke rod is missing on the carb so the choke is open fully all the time but doesn't have any issues starting
I just replaced the fuel pump as It wasn't starting, but one thing I did notice was my fuel filter is never full and usually very low on fuel like not even 1/8 full?

Thanks in advance for any advice and or trouble shooting I can do.

c00nhunterjoe

Fred

Have you checked the length of your fuel pump push rod?   It needs to be 3 1/4"

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

dirtycharger

I will have to look for vacumme leaks tomo.

I just now after reading for a few hours noticed I have to check my push rods length... FML!!! I just finished it today and it was a pita todo, So I guess i'm going to have to do that tommorow also.

Thank you guys for the input... I will do both first thing in the morning :)

ACUDANUT

Maybe a coil too.  you also might want to consider a electric fuel pump. :Twocents:

dirtycharger

Coil is new. And how the heck do u do an electric fuel pump conversion???? I'm tempted!

ACUDANUT

Any parts store sells the Holley Electric fuel pump for "street rods".  The instructions come with it.  It takes about 30 to 60 minutes.  The times vary as to how many you have done.  The store also will carry a fuel pump block off plate, where the original mechanical pump was located.
Total cost is around 125.00. 
Money well spent.  :Twocents:

mhinders

Could it be that it's simply running rich? You have no starting problems with the engine cold, and as soon as it warms up it is beginning to run rich? Can you see black smoke from the exhausts? What color are the spark plugs?
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection