News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headers not clearing steering box

Started by doctor4766, December 12, 2011, 08:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctor4766

So a mate of mine got a set of headers in from the States for my Charger and he fitted them up last week.
He did mention that there wasn't much clearance around the steering box and had to bang the second and third pipes a lil to make them fit. I am generally pleased with the change ov er from manifolds but after a bit of a drive over the weekend it seems there is a knock. Not all the time, but when I put her in reverse it'd definately more noticeable, and sometimes in drive.Oh, and they were also supposed to be matched to my car and engine combo. ie 69 Charger with 383

I dropped by to see him today and he was asking if the engine mounts were old, as perhaps they've squashed in a bit, but I'm sure we put new ones on when we were building the car. Is it even a possibilty that this could happen?
He is also suggesting the he may be able to shim the engine mount somehow and raise the motor up for that little extra clearance it needs. After looking under the car myself it's difficult to tell if it could be done.

I will add that this shop works on loads of drag cars and hot street machines, so he's not just some backyarder.
The headers are ceramic coated Flowtechs and sound and look great.

Thoughts anyone?
Gotta love a '69

elacruze

My Hookers touch everything and I have a knock occasionally that can only be attributed to the header hitting the frame.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

lisiecki1

Quote from: elacruze on December 12, 2011, 10:10:18 AM
My Hookers touch everything and I have a knock occasionally that can only be attributed to the header hitting the frame.

You need a stronger pimp hand.  :hah:
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

doctor4766

Doesn't it piss you off?
Gotta love a '69

BigBlockSam

QuoteYou need a stronger pimp hand.  hah

:rofl:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

RallyeMike

QuoteThoughts anyone?

Typical header install issues. Lot of pipes to get through a confined area and it often requires these kind of measures.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

elacruze

Quote from: doctor4766 on December 12, 2011, 04:52:58 PM
Doesn't it piss you off?

Not enough to take things apart...
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Louder mufflers are the answer, then you cant hear the knock and problem solvered...

I'd find out where they were hitting and try to resolve that issue before shimming the mounts. Solid mounts are another option although they could make the problem (a new one) worse with vibrations and other nasty harmonic things.

doctor4766

Just read in another thread that someone had shimmed the engine mounts for the same reasons.
Just curious because after looking under the car at the way the mounts sit, there doesnt seem to be a lot of room to add shims.
Gotta love a '69

bobs66440

Make sure that they are for your application (ie: power steering/non power steering). I had the same issue with mine and it turned out the headers were for non-power where mine is power. Of course, in my case, it would have taken a lot more than a shim to get them to fit.

BigBlockSam

QuoteI have a knock occasionally that can only be attributed to the header hitting the frame.

:yesnod: me too . on my roadrunner . my hooker comps knock every once and a while
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

A383Wing

BFH usually solves clearance problems

Bryan

doctor4766

Agreed. But since I paid for the privelage of this new PITA I think I'll let the mechanic deal with it.
Sometimes ya wonder why you don't just leave well enough alone.....
Gotta love a '69

bobs66440

Quote from: doctor4766 on December 14, 2011, 07:02:39 AM
Agreed. But since I paid for the privelage of this new PITA I think I'll let the mechanic deal with it.

I agree. You have to choose your battles...