News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger on jack stands

Started by 7chargers, December 11, 2011, 09:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

7chargers

Just quick questions, I have the front of the charger up on jack stands taking out the power steering and starter, my questions is... is it ok to have the front end up on jack stands for awhile before I can get to it? I just wanted to make sure with the unibody design it wouldnt do anything.. Thanks

ChargerST

If the stands are under the LCAs you're fine - if they hold the frame you wanna put one under the K-frame or just put the jack under it (and lift slightly). You will see if there is body flex when you open and close the doors.

Chatt69chgr

Be careful with the car on jackstands like that.  With the front wheels off or at least one off, and the rear wheels on the ground you would be surprised how easy it is to push the car off the jackstands when forcing bolt loose.  I like to have backup protection over and above the jackstands just in case.  Like putting the floor jack under the K-frame with it just making contact,  Or sliding the tire under the car so that it can't come all the way down in case the unthinkable happens. 

RallyeMike

The unibody flexes every time you drive it. Steel has good tension strength and memory. It's perfectly fine to support the car by the frame only with jack stands when you work on the suspension and to leave it that way for as long as you like during the process.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

bill440rt

I have the front of my '68 up on jackstands, placed on the frame rails just forward of the K-frame, and just behind the rad support. It's been that way for almost 3 months.
I ALWAYS place wheel chocks against the tires that remain on the ground, and usually have a floor jack underneath as well like ChargerST mentioned.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

7chargers

I checked my doors opeing and closing and they seem fine. no flex, much better than when I had the floors cut out of the 68 I had. The current 69 is rock solid just wanted to make sure since it has been this way for about 2 weeks. With any luck this weekend the parts will be out and I can bring it down to sit until I'm ready for reassembly.