News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Real gas vs. ethanol

Started by bull, December 08, 2011, 01:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I've been doing some experiments with real gas over the past year or so and have gotten some good results. The small engines I have used it in are no longer a PITA to start, even after sitting for months without any Stabil. It's been hard to find but the results are terrific. I can't believe we haven't used the stuff in cars. ;)

Speaking of which, are there some members here who are able to run real gas in their Chargers all the time, including during storage without any other modifications? I'd like to know if/how real gas is better in the Charger than ethanol?

Troy

I don't use any gas with ethanol in it. Around here, it's still fairly easy to find "real gas". We don't need any help pumping it either! ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TheAutoArchaeologist

Around Chicago there is none.  I wish.  When ever I go to Wisconsin or out of town I always try to find a place with no ethanol. 

http://pure-gas.org/

That's how I find them.

Ryan

leeandgrant

In all my gas powered vehicles I run ONLY 100% gas. The only grade that you can get 100% gas in central wisconsin is premium. I don't mind spending the extra $0.22 to $0.40 per gallon for it either. The fuel mileage gain by running premium offsets the cost beside the fact of what ethanol does to injectors. Just my two cents.....
1968 318 Charger
1969 440 General Lee
1970 440/4speed Super Bee clone Project
1968 383 Charger project
1969 charger parts car
1977 Plymouth Trailduster
2003 Dodge Hemi Ram
2009 Dodge Charger Super Bee SRT
2000 Dodge dually diesel

Vainglory, Esq.

In Minnesota, we can find premium non-oxygenated gas between 91-93 octane.  That's just fine by me, even though it tends to be about $0.50/gal more expensive than the cheap stuff.  I never run the Charger on anything else.

bull

So even though it's real gas is it still stable with all the reformulating they've done over the years? Anything with ethanol is a pain when it comes to spring startups; is there any of that sort of trouble when it comes to starting your Charger in the spring or periodically during the winter?

bull

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 08, 2011, 05:03:06 PM
New thread, old topic. >>>>http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,57020.0.html#lastPost

Thanks! :2thumbs: You're quite the little helper. Unfortunately that thread does not exactly address the topic I'm really wondering about.

Quote from: bull on December 08, 2011, 01:55:13 PM
Speaking of which, are there some members here who are able to run real gas in their Chargers all the time, including during storage without any other modifications? I'd like to know if/how real gas is better in the Charger than ethanol?

68RT4ME

I saw a recent news report here in Fl. where the legislature is going to vote very soon to remove the mandate of ethanol in fuels. They believe it will pass. Can't wait.
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

elacruze

'real gas' isn't what it was 30 years ago, either. As chemists have found new possibilities for petroleum products they have overlapped into the compounds that used to be used in gasoline, resulting in a quality reduction (read lower energy content) in today's 'gasoline'. As long as it meets octane requirements and burns, they call it gas and sell it as such but it's not at all the same chemically as it used to be. The light hydrocarbons boil out and spoil from today's gas in less than a month, even in storage so you may be buying spoiled gas at the pump. Ever notice how some tanks seem to run better than others, even from the same pump?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

bull

All I know is when I put 3 gallons of "real gas" in my gas can and use it in my mower, pressure washer, leaf blower, etc., I don't have to fool with them to get them to start in the spring. I don't have to use Stabil or esters or any of that stuff; I just leave it half-full and it starts four months later with minimal effort. Mainly I'm wondering if this luxury holds true with "real gas" in a muscle car that doesn't see much winter action.

elacruze

All else being equal (all else being the 'gas' in the mix) the fuel with ethanol will evaporate more quickly. I suspect that the base fuel mixed with the ethanol is much less...combustible...than the non-eth mix. So I would expect to see the same difference in the car as the mower.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Highbanked Hauler

I Don't know doggydoo about todays gas but back in the day 68-late 70s I used to use gas to clean parts with(ya I know) and it would evaporate almost immediately  from what was cleaned and from what was spilled on the floor. Now  if I slobber on refueling something, what gets spilled takes a while to evaporate. :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

aussiemuscle

i doubt anyone here has used 'real gas' anyway. since ww2, it's been diluted 50% Benzine (also making it carcinogenic). apparently they were sneaking in a bit of ethanol since the late 70s without telling anyone (to boost it's profitability).

bull

The real gas I have access to is marine grade, if that means anything. I have been told that marine gas is more "real" than the real gas you can get for cars but I have no proof of that.

And of course getting it is a hassle (a 300-yard walk down the pier to the pump) so it isn't practical for use in the Charger. The closest real gas station to me that I can drive right up to is 21 miles away. :eyes:

68blue

I put 100ll avgas in everything for winter storage, no matter what it is. Never any start up problems in the spring, really don't think that stuff gets old at all.