News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The planet, Kepler 22b. Earth 2?

Started by TruckDriver, December 05, 2011, 08:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

This is interesting. Another Earth like planet  :o

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/story/2011-12-05/nasa-finds-planet-that-could-sustain-life/51656310/1

Astronomers on Monday reported the discovery of an Earth-like planet outside the solar system whose size and distance from its own star put it in the "habitable" zone and make for a surface temperature perhaps averaging a balmy 72 degrees. The planet, Kepler 22b, about 2.4 times wider than Earth, circles a star about 600 light years away, close by astronomical standards.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

bull

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/newly-discovered-planet-kepler-22b-eerily-similar-earth-nasa-finds-article-1.987369#art_comments_tab

It's only 600 light years away, which is a problem. Even the fastest ship anyone has been able to imagine building could achieve only 10% light speed so it would take a long, long time to get there.

WASHINGTON - A newly discovered planet is eerily similar to Earth and is sitting outside our solar system in what seems to be the ideal place for life, except for one hitch. It's a bit too big.

The planet is smack in the middle of what astronomers call the Goldilocks zone, that hard to find place that's not too hot, not too cold, where water, which is essential for life, doesn't freeze or boil. And it has a shopping mall-like surface temperature of near 72 degrees, scientists say.

The planet's confirmation was announced Monday by NASA along with other discoveries by its Kepler telescope, which was launched on a planet-hunting mission in 2009.

Old Moparz

Quote from: bull on December 06, 2011, 04:14:51 AM

A newly discovered planet is eerily similar to Earth

I wonder if that means going there & restoring a Mopar will still bankrupt you while you can build a Mustang or a Camaro for like $10?   :shruggy:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

BigBlackDodge

After we die that is the next planet you will be reborn on.

After going through the life cycle (and 22 billion more planets), you will achieve enlightenment and a Wal*Mart gift certificate for 500 dollars. :angel:

Xenu 2012!

BBD

TruckDriver

PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

bull

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on December 06, 2011, 08:51:23 AM
Quote from: TruckDriver on December 06, 2011, 08:39:36 AM
:P http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86940.0.html

OMG! There's two planets like this!  :smilielol:

BBD

That or two timelines have entered the same universe and now it's a paradox. While we're here I think I'll go visit the other me and see how he's doing on his Charger. Maybe he'll be gone but his wife will be there alone. :naughty:

bakerhillpins

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

RECHRGD

Nice ground floor opportunity to get a good deal on some real estate..... ;D
13.53 @ 105.32

bakerhillpins

Funny, that was my first thought as well.  :yesnod:  That and oooohhh more fossil fuels.   :rofl:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

TruckDriver

PETE

bull

bakerhillpins

Quote from: TruckDriver on December 07, 2011, 02:24:13 PM
3rd post on this for what its worth

Still don't see it, and I looked.  Look at it this way, I gave you an excuse to increase your post count.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Musicman

Quote from: moparstuart on December 07, 2011, 12:40:45 PM
650 light years away    :o

We're going to need some serious horse power if we want to get there in time for happy hour :popcrn:

Musicman

I've been there before, it's noth'n special  :eyes:

Budnicks

Quote from: bull on December 06, 2011, 04:14:51 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/newly-discovered-planet-kepler-22b-eerily-similar-earth-nasa-finds-article-1.987369#art_comments_tab

It's only 600 light years away, which is a problem. Even the fastest ship anyone has been able to imagine building could achieve only 10% light speed so it would take a long, long time to get there.

WASHINGTON - A newly discovered planet is eerily similar to Earth and is sitting outside our solar system in what seems to be the ideal place for life, except for one hitch. It's a bit too big.

The planet is smack in the middle of what astronomers call the Goldilocks zone, that hard to find place that's not too hot, not too cold, where water, which is essential for life, doesn't freeze or boil. And it has a shopping mall-like surface temperature of near 72 degrees, scientists say.

The planet's confirmation was announced Monday by NASA along with other discoveries by its Kepler telescope, which was launched on a planet-hunting mission in 2009.

Sounds like NASA need new funding or fishing for more cash type expedition....
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks