News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dukes BMX bike

Started by b5blue, December 04, 2011, 09:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Well there ya go collectors! Walmart has a General Lee BMX bike on sale this week. Perfect for jumping creeks and cop cars!  :lol:

JT01

Bought 3 for Christmas 1 of them a 20" for my youngest 2 24s 1 for my oldest and one for me for my collection

mrsskip68

JT01

Just go to Walmarts website and type in General Lee they will come up.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Tilar

Probably what they had on the shelf at the time.  :lol:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

jb666

This has been around forever and a day..... Just another cheap POS.

Interesting they are still around.

The DK General Lee bike was around a few years ago and I was under the impression that it was a pretty good quality bike being from a name brand company. I've been looking for one for a while but may stick to finding an old one.

I wonder if the originals were better quality? Pretty poor to see DK bikes now being sold in Wal-Mart....   

Black Charger

The DK General Lee has been around for over 10 years. It USED to be a high quality bike made of 100% 4130 chromoly, but in recent years it has become more of a budget bike made of mild steel. I wasn't aware that Wal-Mart has started selling them. It seems that every time Pacific Cycles buys a brand, they cheapen it up and run it straight into the ground. Schwinn, GT, Dyno, Mongoose and Powerlite are some of the once-great brands they have ruined by putting cheapo versions in department stores. While that GL certainly isn't the worst department store bike out there, if someone truly wants a DK GL, I would strongly suggest going on eBay or one of the BMX forums and hunting down one of the original chromoly versions.

Quote from: Black Charger on December 06, 2011, 11:23:34 PM
The DK General Lee has been around for over 10 years. It USED to be a high quality bike made of 100% 4130 chromoly, but in recent years it has become more of a budget bike made of mild steel. I wasn't aware that Wal-Mart has started selling them. It seems that every time Pacific Cycles buys a brand, they cheapen it up and run it straight into the ground. Schwinn, GT, Dyno, Mongoose and Powerlite are some of the once-great brands they have ruined by putting cheapo versions in department stores. While that GL certainly isn't the worst department store bike out there, if someone truly wants a DK GL, I would strongly suggest going on eBay or one of the BMX forums and hunting down one of the original chromoly versions.

My thoughts exactly in finding an "original". The only problem being a dirt jumping bike is that most are pretty well hammered. Huffy is the best example period, and Mongoose was also one of the first to fall victim to the department store demise. While it's financially better for the company to enter the department store phenomenon it really cheapens the brands image amongst the BMX community. Funnily enough Huffy now owns DK. Of course being cheaper it brings new riders into the scene but on the other hand tends to steer more of the die-hard riders away from the brand. There is a lot of debate on this subject on BMX forums. Pretty sad as Mongoose for example (huffy even) were once at the cutting edge of BMX and now don't even offer a race bike of any kind.

For what it's worth from a few reviews I've read people feel the quality of the Wal-Mart DK bikes are of a better quality then most of the other brands they carry. It would be interesting to see how long that lasts before it becomes cheapened down even more till it's just another cheap Chinese bike.

mrsskip68

seems like any bikes weve gotten from walmart, fall apart in a year.  :brickwall: Not worth it. I'll shop in vegas at a bike shop.  :Twocents:
Lisa

Black Charger

You must be/have been a BMXer at some point. Are you a member of Vintage BMX.com or any of the other BMX forums?

Hey Black Charger.

I wouldn't call myself a true BMXer, but I do enjoy riding BMX bikes and putting them together. I don't really belong to any BMX forums but do follow them from time to time. BMX collecting would have been my main hobby if I didn't get so heavily into a different hobby. I still have my first real bike and am trying to collect the parts to put it back to original, undoing the mistakes I made as a kid. I'm also in the process of restoring a mid school mongoose which has recently thrown a curve ball at me with a cracked bearing cup. Time to cleverly modify the hubs to use sealed bearings.

The bike I've always wanted is a 20" 1996-97 Alloy Mongoose Supergoose.    

Some of the other bikes I wouldn't mind owning would be a Skyway TA, mid 90's Powerlite and early 90's Robinson.