News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Charger skid plate

Started by 68RRFlyer, December 02, 2011, 08:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68RRFlyer

What's the verdict?  440-6, Hemi cars only for 1970, or all BB cars?  I have one on a 70 SE 383-2bbl car in my shop.  All original car too. I was under the impression they were just for the big gunned cars, but did it become a standard thing in 70? :scratchchin:  Sort of made me do a double take when I looked under there.  I'm mainly used to 68/69s and this is my first 70 so I'm claiming ignorance here.  Edumacate me! :2thumbs:

Cheers :cheers:
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

maxwellwedge

Is there a welded "coin" on it?

A coin stamped "79" would be the 440 k-frame with skid.
A "90" would be the 318/383 V8 K-Frame  - No skid

These numbers would also be on the broadcast sheet.

68RRFlyer

I'll post tomorrow Max.  Don't know off hand, but the skid plate is there and this is an untouched car.  Original 383 2bbl 500 SE.  Weird.   I'll also be on the search for the broadcast sheet.  More tomorrow, thanks. :2thumbs:

Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100

UFO

Could be a production change.
Accident damage? Same part number as the 440 w/skid.
I have a '69 (was 383 2bbl) that has a skid plate K frame.This car was has taken a hit when replacement parts were still available.I found part numbers on the hood and lower valance.

Chryco Psycho

I would say the 440HP & Hemi  with the larger oilpan require the skid plate , no 383

maxwellwedge

Quote from: UFO on December 03, 2011, 10:46:50 AM
Could be a production change.
Accident damage? Same part number as the 440 w/skid.
I have a '69 (was 383 2bbl) that has a skid plate K frame.This car was has taken a hit when replacement parts were still available.I found part numbers on the hood and lower valance.

Good point on a dealer ordering a replacement out of the parts book....with numbers showing the same on both.

68RRFlyer

Where exactly is this "coin" stamp?  I've yet to remove the engine and front assembly, probably tomorrow or Monday, so where should I look?  This car has never been in any accidents on the front that would need a k-member replacement.  No broadcast sheet to reference, unfortunatley.  Seats were recovered so I'm sure that was a "What the heck is this piece of paper doing here?" thing and it's back to it's atomic form somewhere.  It's defenitley got me perplexed.  Another is the fact that the fender tag says 3spd wipers.  There's a 2spd motor and correct 2spd switch on the dash.   :shruggy:

Cheers
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100

maxwellwedge

The coin.... This "77" k-frame is on a 70 E-Body...440-6

Have you checked all the body numbers.......stuff sounds a-kilter.

68RRFlyer

Agreed.  Yeah, the numbers match all around.  It's the first thing I checked to see if something happend to the car.  But the history is known back to day one, so that's what is throwing me for a loop.  If the coin is that obvious, then it's missing on this k-frame.  Is it always on the same spot?  I'll look again tomorrow.  I got about 3/4 of the car torn down today and should have the engine out tomorrow so I can get a good look at that k-frame. Will post up then.  Thanks.

Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100

68RRFlyer

No tag anywhere on the k-frame that I can see on the front side.  Odd.  It's defenitley not something someone welded on after the fact.  Is the coin something specific to 440-6 and Hemi k-frames or just 70 and up k-frames?  I had a diagram as to where the dates are stamped, so I'll dig that up and check to see what I can find.

cheers :cheers: 
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100

maxwellwedge

I see the coins on small block cars as well. They are not always on there.

The date code is probably the best clue for your case.

68RRFlyer

Maxwell,

2659-2 is the date code stamped on the front.  265th day, 1969 second shift.   That puts it at about a September 22nd assembly.  The car is an October build car, so that matches up.  Still have to remove the motor from the k-frame and find the part number to reference, but looks like that's the original one.  Skid plate, 383 car.  Hmmmmm :scratchchin:

Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100

maxwellwedge

Hmmm - Date sounds good. You probably wont find a stamped part number....that was the purpose of the 2 digit code on the coin.

My guess? They put a 440 K on that car - either by accident (Factory Boo-Boo) or by a supply problem at that station at that moment.  

68RRFlyer

That's what I'm thinking too and was surprised when I saw the date.  It's an October 10th car, an earlier 70, and it is a 500 as well.  Also abscent of the 500 badges.  I know there was a shortage in that supplier and not all 500s got the 500 badges early on, so maybe the same holds true here?  Neat to find and an oddity for sure.  I do know the wiper system was entirely changed out due to some detective work, so that solves the 3spd-2spd wiper mystery, but the k-frame has never been replaced or removed.  Thanks for the help.

Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100