News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

leaf spring clamps

Started by b71dodge, November 21, 2011, 01:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b71dodge

where can you buy stock looking leaf spring clamps.

maxwellwedge

Chatt69chgr

I wonder if the Mopar Performance Hemi leaf springs have the zinc interliners and OE looking clamps?

maxwellwedge

They probably have inter-riners and cramps... :lol:

bull

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on November 21, 2011, 09:17:44 PM
I wonder if the Mopar Performance Hemi leaf springs have the zinc interliners and OE looking clamps?

Clamps - probably. Real zinc interliners - doubtful.

As far as I can determine, Frank at Roger Gibson is the only person on planet Earth who makes real zinc interliners, so unless MP gets them from him...

Quote from: b71dodge on November 21, 2011, 01:28:18 PM
where can you buy stock looking leaf spring clamps.

You can get those lots of places but make very sure you get the right sizes. IIRC they come in 3 different lengths and you will be very frustrated if you get the wrong ones.

Chatt69chgr

What do the zinc interliners do for you?

bull

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on November 22, 2011, 07:39:43 AM

Good question. I've thought some about that but my main reason for getting real zinc is because that's what was there originally. I suspect it's for a couple different reasons. Zinc is soft so the constant rubbing will wear the zinc rather than the steel. Also being soft it will keep things quieter than two pieces of steel rubbing against one another. It's non-magnetic and IIRC rubbing two pieces of steel together creates a magnetic reaction which will attract metal particulates from the road dust and from the wear of the springs which would cause more noise and wear. That's just my guess though. Basically I think of it as a lubricant.

maxwellwedge

Right on.
Zinc increases the corrosion resistance of the base metal, and improves the sliding friction properties of parts in contact. Probably quieter as well...

bull

maxwellwedge

Bill's don't really say much in his description....I wonder if the interliners are zinc?

bull

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 27, 2011, 09:01:00 AM
Bill's don't really say much in his description....I wonder if the interliners are zinc?

I believe they are, but only because he resells the ones he gets from Frank. I would definitely ask first though.

gtx6970

afaik,,,,,they are, we get them from the same place

bill440rt

Quote from: bull on November 22, 2011, 02:02:29 PM
Quote from: Chatt69chgr on November 22, 2011, 07:39:43 AM

Good question. I've thought some about that but my main reason for getting real zinc is because that's what was there originally. I suspect it's for a couple different reasons. Zinc is soft so the constant rubbing will wear the zinc rather than the steel. Also being soft it will keep things quieter than two pieces of steel rubbing against one another. It's non-magnetic and IIRC rubbing two pieces of steel together creates a magnetic reaction which will attract metal particulates from the road dust and from the wear of the springs which would cause more noise and wear. That's just my guess though. Basically I think of it as a lubricant.

Interesting.  :scratchchin:  I've got a question, hope this doesn't derail anything here.
Years ago when I restored my '70 the zinc interliners were not available. I restored my original leaf springs by disassembling & sandblasting them, painting each leaf, and reassembled them with new correct eyelet bolts. The original interliners were shot, so I replaced them with some made from thin sheet aluminum. It was the same thickness as the zinc. It was all I could do at the time.
Any potential problems with the aluminum? They've been on there for well over a decade.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

gtx6970

IMO - The primary purpose of the zinc inter-liners is to add some lubricity to the leaf springs ---  helps aid noise control for squeeks during jounce and rebound

I would think aluminum inter-liners would provide the same effect BUT wear quicker

Chatt69chgr

Bill----Probably three years ago I bought a set of the Mopar Performance springs for my 69 that go with the 440/hemi engine (car was originally a 318).  I have not installed them yet.  Can these be taken apart and reassembled using the kit you sell (with the plastic/zinc interliners and new clamps---I'm assuming that the clamps would be destroyed during disassembly)?  I have no idea if the individual leaves of the MP springs are exactly the same thickness as the originals------I do recall that one side has more leaves than the other.  Or probably more to the point---if it is possible is it worth the effort & $$?  I see on your website that you have the rebuild set for $100. 

bull

Quote from: gtx6970 on November 28, 2011, 09:18:44 AM
IMO - The primary purpose of the zinc inter-liners is to add some lubricity to the leaf springs ---  helps aid noise control for squeeks during jounce and rebound

I would think aluminum inter-liners would provide the same effect BUT wear quicker

:iagree: Aluminum would be a good second choice but it would not take as much abuse. IMO putting steel interliners between the leaves is probably no better than going without interliners altogether.

I wonder how carbon fiber interliners would work? :scratchchin:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: gtx6970 on November 28, 2011, 07:07:59 AM

afaik,,,,,they are, we get them from the same place

I asked Frank about these today. He does not get any part of his kit from Queely (spelling?).

Him and Roger make all their own components on these. Other suppliers have bought only the zinc interliners off of him and stuck them in the Queely stuff.

Chatt69chgr

I talked to Frank today and he said that he had no idea whether the Mopar Performance springs were the same physical size as the original equipment springs and, so, no idea if his clamps and zinc interliners could be used on them.