News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will a 68 auto transmission crossmember fit a 70 charger?

Started by Chargeraddict, December 02, 2011, 05:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargeraddict

I thought they were the same 68-70 but I went to sell a spare cross member I have to a guy with a 70 and he says they arent the same? Thanks

elacruze

At one point, Chrysler started using the early automatic crossmembers for both standard and automatic, IIRC it was in '70. I had to use an automatic crossmember in my '68 to install my Gear Vendors overdrive, even though it was ordered for a 4-speed; apparently E bodies and '70-up B bodies have the same mounting position.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Chargeraddict on December 02, 2011, 05:48:33 PM

I thought they were the same 68-70 but I went to sell a spare cross member I have to a guy with a 70 and he says they arent the same? Thanks

Different size bolts (bigger) on the 68-69. These are the 4 bolts that go through the floor crossmember. They went to smaller bolts in 70.

Seeing how the crossmember bolts are smaller - It would probably work with a larger washer. Pretty sure (but not 100%) the hole spacings are the same.

Kern Dog

Quote from: elacruze on December 02, 2011, 06:09:40 PM
At one point, Chrysler started using the early automatic crossmembers for both standard and automatic,  apparently E bodies and '70-up B bodies have the same mounting position.

Sorry, but i just found out today that this is wrong. My original 1970 trans crossmember has a different bolt spacing than the 71 E body trans crossmember I tried to use.

John_Kunkel

At one point in history the B and E-bodies used the same crossmember but a change in late '70 made them different.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.