News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

clipped wing dirt tracker?

Started by held1823, December 02, 2011, 03:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

held1823

i ran across this photo the other day. the slick looking rear window makes one wonder how long the old superbird body was used.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

HPP

I think that wasjust a regular old Road Runner and it is just the angle of the photo that makes it look smooth. I've seen other pictures of it before. I'll see if I can find them and verify.

FJ5WING

Quote from: HPP on December 02, 2011, 03:33:17 PM
I think that wasjust a regular old Road Runner and it is just the angle of the photo that makes it look smooth. I've seen other pictures of it before. I'll see if I can find them and verify.

I think its a regular Runner too. :icon_smile_wink:
wingless now, but still around.

Budnicks

"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

held1823

Quote from: HPP on December 02, 2011, 03:33:17 PM
I think that was just a regular old Road Runner and it is just the angle of the photo that makes it look smooth. I've seen other pictures of it before. I'll see if I can find them and verify.

the angle could be all that it is, although i wonder if they would have taken the time to reskin the superbird. they could have removed the nose and wing, figuring the window was not worth the time to change.  hopefully you guys can compare it to other photos of the same car.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

my  70 standard RR rear glass
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

That is Roger McCluskey's USAC short track Road Runner.   Roger drove for Norm Nelson of Racine Wisconsin.    Norm had the factory Plymouth deal in USAC.  He had at least two cars in 1970, the Superbird and the short track Runner.   Norm sometimes drove a conventional Road Runner as car #41.    I tend to think the #1 and #41 short track cars were the same cars renumbered as needed. 

Aero426

Another shot of Roger's short track car, from Knoxville Iowa, 1971.    Note the air duct cut into the roof for extra driver comfort.

maxwellwedge

Is that a 429 C.I.   on the hood?

Aero426

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 02, 2011, 05:09:19 PM
Is that a 429 C.I.   on the hood?

Yup.  The limit per rule was 429.999 CI.    They did not want to be out-done by the Fords.    You also saw 429 CI on Glotzbach's NASCAR #99 at times.

maxwellwedge

Cool - I always knew the engine max size rule.....never noticed any that showed their exact size like that. I think Chrysler would have preferred the 426 emblazened on there but by this time maybe the France handicap was in place?

Oh - Hang on - This was a USAC ride.

held1823

thanks, doug.

how long did the team run both the 1970 roadrunner and the superbird? im assuming both bodies were legal for three years or so? photos of their cars beyond that point in time are tougher to come by. did they run the same numbers throughout the later years?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Aero426

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 02, 2011, 05:22:48 PM
Cool - I always knew the engine max size rule.....never noticed any that showed their exact size like that. I think Chrysler would have preferred the 426 emblazened on there but by this time maybe the France handicap was in place?

The Nichels team seemed to start this.  But not only in USAC, but in NASCAR too in 1970.    Some people explain it as "because that was the limit".  My personal feeling is they would not let themselves be out-done by Ford.   The guy in the stands sees 429 on the Fords and thinks, "well, that's more than 426.   More is better and....."

Aero426

Quote from: held1823 on December 02, 2011, 06:42:52 PM
thanks, doug.

how long did the team run both the 1970 roadrunner and the superbird? im assuming both bodies were legal for three years or so? photos of their cars beyond that point in time are tougher to come by. did they run the same numbers throughout the later years?

1970, 1971 and 1972.    In USAC, your car number was based on your points finish the previous year.   The cars ran #1 in '70 and '71 as Roger was the national champion.   He ran car #3 in 1972 which was his points finish in 1971.   

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Aero426 on December 02, 2011, 08:06:28 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 02, 2011, 05:22:48 PM

The Nichels team seemed to start this.  But not only in USAC, but in NASCAR too in 1970.    Some people explain it as "because that was the limit".  My personal feeling is they would not let themselves be out-done by Ford.   The guy in the stands sees 429 on the Fords and thinks, "well, that's more than 426.   More is better and....."

Thanks Doug.

Did you notice the SnowTona?

Aero426

Yes, I love the snow Tona.   Very appropriate for the time of year.    Frank isn't keeping her outside is he?     :smilielol:

maxwellwedge

He better not be or he'll get one of these  :slap:     :icon_smile_big:

A383Wing

Quote from: Aero426 on December 02, 2011, 04:53:33 PM
Another shot of Roger's short track car, from Knoxville Iowa, 1971.    Note the air duct cut into the roof for extra driver comfort.

whut's that thingy on the drivers side of the hood....mini spoiler?

Bryan

Aero426

It is a little air deflector to keep the dirt clods off the windshield.   You'll notice the car has a stock wiper on the driver side.

Aero426

Quote from: held1823 on December 02, 2011, 06:42:52 PM
thanks, doug.

did they run the same numbers throughout the later years?

Here's the '72 season livery.  Same car.  Just the number has changed.    There are some 1/25 decals available to do this car or the Superbird for that year.

held1823

Quote from: Aero426 on December 02, 2011, 11:57:01 PM
Here's the '72 season livery.  Same car.  Just the number has changed.    There are some 1/25 decals available to do this car or the Superbird for that year.

great photo. i didnt realize they ran the wing car in 1972. per usac rules, would the superbird have been car number 3, as well?

i imagine those 1/25 scale decals can be resized to 1/32, and a cool carrera slot car is to be had.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

tan top

intresting pictures thanks for posting   :cheers: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Aero426

Quote from: held1823 on December 03, 2011, 12:38:03 AM
[great photo. i didnt realize they ran the wing car in 1972. per usac rules, would the superbird have been car number 3, as well?

Yes, all aero cars were eligible for three years in USAC.   Daytonas, Charger 500s and Talladegas ran through 1971;  Superbirds through the end of 1972.     Living in Milwaukee, we were spoiled as we could see the cars race four times a year, ten minutes from home.    We sat in the fourth turn just about where this photo was taken.  McCluskey is in the #3.    The Torino is one of Jack Bowsher's team cars.   Jack had the factory Ford program in USAC. 

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Aero426

Here's one more, same year and track.

Check out the steep wing angle cranked into it for the flat mile track.

Aero426

I'm sure this is a very rare piece - I've sure never seen another.    It's a Roger McCluskey hero card from the 1972 season.    I have no idea where it came from and it's not in the best of shape.    The signature is a copy of Roger's autograph printed on the card.    I came across it by accident and thought I would scan it before it disappears into the abyss.

held1823

i sorted through my photo files and realized i had seen the 1972 livery without even knowing it. i have no clue where i saved these from over the years.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053