News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Clone Questions

Started by FastbackJon, December 02, 2011, 02:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastbackJon

It seems to me that more people turn Chargers into Daytonas than Belvederes into Superbirds for clones. Maybe that's just because we're on a Charger site here?

So has anyone here built a Superbird clone?

What does it take?

- Donor Body of course
- Wing and nosecone, fender vents - are there reproductions of all of these?
- A-pillar chromes, do Daytona/Superbird interchange?
- Shortened trunk lid like the Charger? Doesn't appear to be.
- Custom rear window plug, chrome and glass - reproduction here too? Can't use a Vega.
- Vinyl top. Easy enough.

Then there's the task of the front clip using 1970 Coronet parts.

- Coronet hood with a custom extension on the front of it?
- Fenders the same thing? Coronet fenders but custom work at the fronts?
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

moparstuart

if you do a convertible like me  everything was bolt on  , no rear window conversion to do and the apillar chrome is already there on a convertible .   :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

62 Max

Quote from: FastbackJon on December 02, 2011, 02:18:57 PM
It seems to me that more people turn Chargers into Daytonas than Belvederes into Superbirds for clones. Maybe that's just because we're on a Charger site here?

So has anyone here built a Superbird clone?

What does it take?

- Donor Body of course
- Wing and nosecone, fender vents - are there reproductions of all of these?
- A-pillar chromes, do Daytona/Superbird interchange?
- Shortened trunk lid like the Charger? Doesn't appear to be.
- Custom rear window plug, chrome and glass - reproduction here too? Can't use a Vega.
- Vinyl top. Easy enough.

Then there's the task of the front clip using 1970 Coronet parts.

- Coronet hood with a custom extension on the front of it?
- Fenders the same thing? Coronet fenders but custom work at the fronts?

Simple answer,more parts,more work !

hotrod98

It's much more difficult to build a bird. First, the hood transformation isn't very easy or very cheap. The 70 Coronet fenders and hood are fairly hard to locate. The fenders require modification at the lower flap and on the top front peaks. The 70 Fury turn signals are hard to find. There's no easy or cheap way to alter the back glass unless you go with a fiberglass plug and lexan back window. You still need the moldings to make it look halfway decent and repros are $1200.
The only part that is easier is the deck lid. It only requires adding stops to the hinges. And even that doesn't have to be done since the deck lid clears the wing. The stops just keep the injuries to you fingers to a minimum.
The Satellite taillights are different and have to be changed.
If not using a roadrunner for a donor the dash has to be changed out whereas the Charger dash doesn't.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

dreamcatcher

There are many things that are not for the meek.The nose cone even with all the parts requires a lot of time and parts to make it work.The coronet hood has to be cut off and a front piece to be added in.Then getting it to fit right isn't easy....then it can jump off the damn trailer and you can start all over again... :smilielol:...But it is worth everything you go through when you drive it the first time  :coolgleamA: But just figure on 50 large even if you do most of it yourself by the time you build a complete car top to bottom with engine dash interior etc.
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

1970Moparmann

What repo nose cone do you guys recommend?
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

dreamcatcher

That is the million dollar question..depends on what you can afford really.I went with Janak just because I needed everything and he has a full kit.I would try a metal one if ever doing it again.The fit on this re pop stuff isn't the best but with a little effort you cant really tell the difference.Metal ones cost as much as double to the fiberglass ones.
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

1970Moparmann

Who sells the most period correct metal cone?  I finally came to the realization that I will never be able to afford a real one so may make a clone if I sell one of the cars.

Thanks.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on December 06, 2011, 10:21:16 AM
Who sells the most period correct metal cone?  I finally came to the realization that I will never be able to afford a real one so may make a clone if I sell one of the cars.

Thanks.

If you finally come to the realization of building a clone, get it in gear if you want a steel nose cone, only 2 sources, Gene Gregory who is having what seems like serious health issues, and Jack McGaughey, both make fine nose cones, with Gene's being more true in construction (only as far as assembly, otherwise both cones appear the same) Jack is also up there in age and with recent  health, issues, these gentlemen won't be making these things forever,....you'll need $5K-$6500 to play....plus depending on your location, add another $500-$700 to truck freight a cone, DAMHIK :icon_smile_big:

Otherwise, fiberglass is your next choice, only 2 sources that are worth using, Ted Janek, or myself (DAYCLONA), the other SB cones (fiberglass) on the market are kind of lacking in fit/finish IMHO

Mike

hotrod98

I've owned both Janek and Dayclona fiberglass noses and while the Janek nose is very well made, I think that the Dayclona nose is a better choice. But, you can't go wrong with either choice.

If I were to build a Superbird clone today, I would probably buy a Gregory steel nose.

As for the wing, I will say that the Janek fiberglass wing is a much better piece than I expected. I was very impressed.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

dreamcatcher

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 06, 2011, 01:24:07 PM
I've owned both Janek and Dayclona fiberglass noses and while the Janek nose is very well made, I think that the Dayclona nose is a better choice. But, you can't go wrong with either choice.

If I were to build a Superbird clone today, I would probably buy a Gregory steel nose.

As for the wing, I will say that the Janek fiberglass wing is a much better piece than I expected. I was very impressed.

Kudoes on the Janak wing.My car went through a cement wall backwards at a pretty good speed.The wing did get hurt but even then was fixable when all was said and done.There very well built.  :2thumbs:
My Janak kit cost about 8500.00 shipped and that was over 3 years ago.There big boxes and cost around 900.00 to ship both of them.

moparstuart

Quote from: dreamcatcher on December 06, 2011, 01:45:09 PM
Quote from: hotrod98 on December 06, 2011, 01:24:07 PM

Kudoes on the Janak wing.My car went through a cement wall backwards at a pretty good speed.The wing did get hurt but even then was fixable when all was said and done.There very well built.  :2thumbs:
My Janak kit cost about 8500.00 shipped and that was over 3 years ago.There big boxes and cost around 900.00 to ship both of them.
crash testing  , send ted a bill and the results    :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

1970Moparmann

DonC1

I can build either nosecone in steel and am currently building a new complete kit for the bird in steel. The nosecone can also come as a 'breakdown' part..ie top, corners and center as 4 pieces to save on shipping costs. All parts are 19 gauge steel with the exception of the bird hood which is fiberglass with AG option. Also working on new front 70 coronet/bird fenders in steel. Larry has my steel bird wing on his blue 69 RR and my all steel daytona's can be seen here too..

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,1955.25.html
red car black stripe, blue car black stripe

http://donnicks.com/
more bird parts pics available from me on request.
kit is 10k.

held1823

Quote from: DonC1 on December 09, 2011, 03:00:19 PM
I can build either nosecone in steel

alas, if i wasn't a pauper, i'd look into uncloning a real one...
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053