News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

stupid shock question

Started by FJ5WING, December 02, 2011, 12:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ5WING

I have some old NEW rear shocks and they dont offer much resistance in either direction, before I exhaust any effort and money into making these look fresh are they any good?

I know from a typed question nobody really knows but Im asking for best guesses.....I guess?

TIA  ;)
wingless now, but still around.

bull

Boy, that is stupid. I'm kidding! Relax.

Anyway, yea, I'd say they are shot. "New" is not really new if they are old, if that makes any sense. 30-year-old tires that have never been used are not new, or usable. I'd say the fluid has probably leaked past the seals on these shocke over time and what remains is not enough to do the job. I just got a pair of Edelbrock shocks for the rear of my Charger and it took about all the strength I could muster (in a somewhat awkward position) to pull the top of them down about an inch to install the top mounting bolt. I'm not a muscle man but I'm not a pansy either and I almost popped my cork just trying to get them to budge.

Back N Black

No resistance, no good. When you push them down they should come back up as soon as you release pressure.

maxwellwedge

I have lots of original shocks on my cars and they are fine.

None of the original style "come back up".

Compress and extend them in their normal operating position a few times slowly. There eventually should be some resistance and no air gap skips.

Bull - I have cars with original tires too. As long as they aren't dry-rotted they are fine.....Drive on them all the time.

gtx6970

originals were a hydraulic shock - they will offer some resistance in either direction. A decent test for one is hold it in your hand by one end. and let it hang down , it should extend by itself slowly
This isn't a 100% guarentee they're good but should give you some idea

bull

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 02, 2011, 03:12:39 PM

Bull - I have cars with original tires too. As long as they aren't dry-rotted they are fine.....Drive on them all the time.

I wouldn't.

Quote from: gtx6970 on December 02, 2011, 03:17:59 PM
originals were a hydraulic shock - they will offer some resistance in either direction. A decent test for one is hold it in your hand by one end. and let it hang down , it should extend by itself slowly
This isn't a 100% guarentee they're good but should give you some idea

Aren't most shocks hydraulic?

gtx6970

Quote from: bull on December 02, 2011, 03:46:18 PM
Aren't most shocks hydraulic?

Yes, sort of, except modern shocks are hydraulic with a internal gas assist so the test methods are completely different

rt green

if you already own them, put them on. to test, drive for about a half hour. if they are warm when you touch them, then they are working
third string oil changer

Chryco Psycho

I am sure with the better technology now you could improve on the shocks by replacing them , but you can try them & see how the ride first

green69rt

I'm going to throw a little gas on this fire but this is what I feel about shocks. 

Old shocks are almost always suspect.  Find some new ones and put them on!!!  What do new shocks cost now (I'm assuming just one pair)... a great set may cost $100 so do the right thing and get some good ones.  If not then just buy a 4 shock set and run them till you can upgrade.  Shocks are one of the easiest upgrades you can make!!

dangina

Quote from: green69rt on December 04, 2011, 10:07:59 PM
I'm going to throw a little gas on this fire but this is what I feel about shocks. 

Old shocks are almost always suspect.  Find some new ones and put them on!!!  What do new shocks cost now (I'm assuming just one pair)... a great set may cost $100 so do the right thing and get some good ones.  If not then just buy a 4 shock set and run them till you can upgrade.  Shocks are one of the easiest upgrades you can make!!

+1 its not worth it keeping the old shocks - if your that attached to them put them on the shelf where they belong

FJ5WING

I understand the thoughts of upgrading/use new parts but I was on the thought of using as many NOS pieces as I could locate....The car will see street use not solely a trailer queen but I also really dont want to be swapping parts a few hours after I finish buttoning things up. :P
wingless now, but still around.

maxwellwedge

I guess it all depends what you are after. I am after originality and use as much original stuff as I can get my hands on. Others want better than stock road manners/performance.

For cruising around and the odd stoplight to stoplight thrash I have no problem with the original stuff.

gtx6970

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 05, 2011, 01:05:17 PM
I guess it all depends what you are after. I am after originality and use as much original stuff as I can get my hands on. Others want better than stock road manners/performance.

For cruising around and the odd stoplight to stoplight thrash I have no problem with the original stuff.

Ditto, good friend of mine uses nothing but NOS original shocks and on all his cars, never a problem.