News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thread killer

Started by bull, November 29, 2011, 04:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Upon meeting other DC.com members in person much of what we discuss obviously turns toward this website. Among other things discussed, one interesting topic is thread killing; that inexplicable phenomenon where the discussion is moving right along and then a person posts something he feels is poignant and expects more discussion to come but instead the thread just dies. Or maybe what was said is so poignant and conclusive there's nothing more that needs to be said. :shruggy: I'm sure it's happened to all of us but I'm curious as to what causes it. Is it boredom, do people forget, was the last thing said so wise and thoughtful that nothing can be added or taken away? :lol: Or is there nothing worth discussing further?

The threads I usually kill are the ones I start, mostly because the loose ends are all tied up and it ends with a parting thought. But sometimes I'll start a thread and it heats up and I'm expecting some sort of conclusion but it will peter out with an actual question mark at the end that is never answered. I'm not trying to be derogatory toward the site or its members, I'm just genuinely curious.

So what is it? Is this thread dead already? Will I be the one to kill it? The last person to post here will get the blame. :nono:

RECHRGD

I think most threads that are a direct question just run their course until a solution is found.  Some may take 1 response and another may take 200.  I seem to lose interest in any thread once arguments get started and they degrade to a point not of interest to anyone.  Open ended threads that ask for thoughts or experiences will last as long as they stay somewhat on track, but once they get highjacked, I'm gone.....Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Dans 68

Interesting philosophical question. If you want a truthful answer I think it is because the thread has given its all, and there is nothing else to be added. If the original thread starter is an "outlier" on the bell curve of life (think on a recently suspended member), it can die pretty quick, except for the requisite accusations, recriminations and flaming. Technical questions usually are satisfactorily answered and then linked to if a similar question comes along. If it is an "off topic" thread it normally can go on for a long time as there are really no answers, but only opinions.

So, the only question remaining is have I sufficiently killed this topic?  ;)  I would say no....

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

John_Kunkel

Can't speak for all locked threads but I've seen cases where popular opinion is rebuked with unpopular opinion and innuendo is rebuked with outright declaration...then the catfight begins and the mods step in.

Unabated free speech isn't an inherent right on forums with rules that run counter to it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

maxwellwedge

Is this where I register my 1978 Camaro?

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

68X426

Quote from: bull on November 29, 2011, 04:18:12 PM
So what is it? Is this thread dead already? Will I be the one to kill it? The last person to post here will get the blame. :nono:

This one isn't quite killed. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,77753.0.html

Can it be explained?

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

mrsskip68

1970Moparmann

It seems like all of the WIW, Ebay, Look at this.... , general threads do quickly vanish.  The high hit rate threads are the restorations, Picture of the Day, cool this or that picture, or any woman owned thread :nana:   It's true...... :scratchchin: :icon_smile_cool:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

68X426

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Old Moparz

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

A383Wing

TK73

TK - Thread Killer   :D

Think TK is up to 73 now...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

bakerhillpins

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 29, 2011, 04:56:16 PM
Is this where I register my 1978 Camaro?

:hah: :hah: :hah:  That was quite sly.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bill440rt

So, what does everyone think of the 4-door Charger??   :rofl:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mrsskip68

68coronetGLwannabe

JoeyGowdy

6'4" Good Ol' Boy

Re: Remember Remember the 5th of November
« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »
Quote from: skip68 on November 10, 2011, 02:31:41 PM
So in 2003 you started dating Carla when you were 22 and she was 15.... In mid 2002 you wrote " I'm 21 and my love is 14 " and her name is Crissy.or Michelle. Is Crissy and Carla the same person? LMG ?    Is she Crissy?    Very confusing.

How?  Me (dob 1981), Crissy (dob 1981), LMG (dob 1988), CDC (dob 1987), AMK (dob 1990).

All of that is public knowledge: http://www.trueknowledge.com/q/who_dated_joey_paul_gowdy

Quote from: skip68 on November 10, 2011, 02:31:41 PM
Sorry but it's sick.
Sounds like someone doesn't watch much '16 & Pregnant' ?

http://www.facebook.com/16andpregnant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16_and_Pregnant

Greater age differences have been reported on that tv show.
JoeyGowdy

6'4" Good Ol' Boy

Re: Remember Remember the 5th of November
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2011, 01:29:12 AM »
Quote from: Ghoste on November 06, 2011, 09:38:07 PM
Followers?
Indeed  

46,500+ on Facebook

19,000+ on Twitter

20,000+ on YouTube

Quote from: Orange_Crush on November 07, 2011, 10:37:56 AM
Seriously???have you seen his picture?  He looks like a pre-diet Josh Peck.
Heh, can neither confirm nor deny that.  

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on November 07, 2011, 09:21:19 PM
He's playing all of this up on the Facebook Chargers owners club.
Actually no - that status update was shard on many different sites and groups.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1053961/twitter

http://twitter.com/JoeyPaulGowdy/status/133648672452915201

Quote from: skip68 on November 07, 2011, 11:43:13 PM
I'm hoping to get some of these girls / women to come forward with his stalking / harassment.  They can send me a personal message.   I have someone that will help them.    
Fail.  Now who is invading someone elses privacy?  Chucky Cheese much?  

Did I kill it and win?  :slap:
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

A383Wing

Quote from: bill440rt on November 29, 2011, 11:26:43 PM
So, what does everyone think of the 4-door Charger??   :rofl:

you mean the Coronet?

real Chargers only have 2 doors

TK73

Quote from: A383Wing on November 29, 2011, 11:47:05 PM
real Chargers only have 2 doors[/color]

Same with Jeep Wranglers...

Todd Wilson

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily!

:cheers:

Todd

TK73

Good plan but you end up seeing 4 doors on EVERY charger...

bull

Quote from: TK73 on November 30, 2011, 12:44:28 AM
Quote from: A383Wing on November 29, 2011, 11:47:05 PM
real Chargers only have 2 doors[/color]

Same with Jeep Wranglers...

Those Wrangler Unlimited Jeeps have really grown on me. The four doors used to bother me but not anymore; not like the "Charger" thing, which is a different story... still.

TK73

They still get under my skin as an irritant... Wranglers were the B-A 4x4s now they are mall cruisers for middle class single people; the 4-doors are mall cruisers for middle class familys. Range Rover is going the same way from B-A 4x4s but now those are mall cruisers for upper middle class people who want to look rich...

My guess is the VAST majority of new Wranglers and Rovers don't even see snow much less off road mud...

I'm not even sure about the new 2 door Wranglers, too much "plush" I would not want to get dirty and WAY too much asking price.  The '95 YJ I had was prime for getting muddy and relatively cheap back in '95. Beat the h#ll outta that bad Jeep in the dirt, mud and hills...

bull

Chrysler is kicking around the idea of producing the J7 "Stripper" which is a stripped-down Wrangler more geared toward off-road abuse. There are some other concept Jeeps that are looking back to basics too. Not sure but I would imagine you can order Wranglers without all the foo-foo do-dads.

http://www.jeep4ever.ca/concept_jeeps.html