News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Greaseless U-joints. Do they make them, do you run them?

Started by bull, November 28, 2011, 03:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Do they make greaseless U-joints for 2nd gen Chargers? I would assume so. If so does anyone have them? How are they working out for you?

charger Downunder

If you mean one without a grease nipple i have a mopar front one part number 4057025 i got it many years ago, they are packed with grease inside. The new ones that i have seen now come with the grease nipple.
[/quote]

elacruze

I use *ONLY* genuine DANA Life series U-joints, non-serviceable. They last longer than anything else before them. I have never replaced one, ever, in anything I've worked on. Plus they never throw grease up under the vehicle.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Chatt69chgr

I was told to avoid the greaseable type as they are weaker than the non-serviceable ones.  Probably wouldn't matter for normal type driving. 

resq302

Quote from: elacruze on November 28, 2011, 09:00:46 AM
I use *ONLY* genuine DANA Life series U-joints, non-serviceable. They last longer than anything else before them. I have never replaced one, ever, in anything I've worked on. Plus they never throw grease up under the vehicle.

I think mine were made by Spicer but are the solid type with no grease fitting.  Basically greased for life and are race ready from what the drive shaft place told me when I got them and had the drive shaft balanced.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

elacruze

Quote from: resq302 on November 28, 2011, 10:33:30 AM

I think mine were made by Spicer but are the solid type with no grease fitting.  Basically greased for life and are race ready from what the drive shaft place told me when I got them and had the drive shaft balanced.

Spicer is Dana. Good stuff.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

bull

Quote from: resq302 on November 28, 2011, 10:33:30 AM

I think mine were made by Spicer but are the solid type with no grease fitting.  Basically greased for life and are race ready from what the drive shaft place told me when I got them and had the drive shaft balanced.

That's pretty much what I'm expecting, that the driveline place I'm probably going to will want to install the Spicer/Dana U-joints. The guy who recommended this place said they believe the non-serviceable U-joints are much stronger and last longer.