News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Everyone's Opinion on a Trade...

Started by CornDogsCharger, November 26, 2011, 08:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CornDogsCharger

I'm kinda stuck on my decision to do a trade or not. I'm kinda partial to my car because I really like the '69 model, I've got plans for it, and blah blah blah. So I guess I need some outside, un-biased opinions.

Ok, I have a very solid '69 Charger. It was originally a 318/auto on the floor F3 green car with black interior. All the car really needs is a trunk pan, rear valance, corners, lower quarters, and just a little work around the back glass. Everything else is nice, straight, and solid. The doors still close like new. No fender tag. I kept the nice 69 grille to go in my original General Lee and I planned to convert this car to a Charger 500 clone. I've always loved the Aero cars and since I will probably never get a real one, this was gonna be the next best thing.

Now for the trade offer... My friend has a '68 Charger RT. This car is also a project, but much more of a project. Someone installed quarter skins but I would replace them since the work wasn't all that nice. The car will also need a rear valance, corners, trunk floor, extensions, both fenders, driver side inner fender, and possibly a floor pan (patched poorly).  The car is also in pieces from where it was torn apart (which doesn't bother me much because I've had many of these cars apart and knows where pretty much everything goes). The good thing about the car is the fact that it is a real RT, the fender tag is intact and in perfect condition, and the original numbers matching 440 block (bare) in included. The car was originally PP1 red with a black vinyl top, black interior, black stripe, auto on the column with a buddy seat between the buckets, factory A/C, disc brakes.

I'm torn because my car needs much less work, everything is intact, and I'd love to have a 500 clone... whereas the 68 has a lot going against it, but would be a beautiful car when finished. Any input??

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Magnumcharger

Both of those Chargers sound like they need a fair amount of work.
The Charger R/T maybe a bit more than the 500 clone.

Sure the R/T is probably going to be worth more in the end.
I guess the question is: are you in it for the money?  :icon_smile_big:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Ghoste

On the other hand, being able to do the work yourself would you come out ahead ahead enough on the RT to springboard into a 500 project?  Makes the whole thing take longer but just throwing it out there.

CornDogsCharger

I wouldn't really do it for the $$ side of it but it would play a part in the final picture.  I wouldn't plan on fixing the car to flip and more than likely, I would keep it for myself.  But if I finish the 68RT and there is a real C500 on the market like MoparStuart's project, I would be very tempted to unload the 68RT and buy the real 500.  As far as doing all of the metal work, body, paint, and most all of the mechanical work... I would do all of that myself and be able to save a ton of money.  I get the dealer discount on AMD parts, so that would help too. 

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

My '69... no, I didn't put the goofy "01" on it... but I did paint the engine bay orange when I first planned on building it as a General Lee clone.

The 1968 R/T Charger:

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

BIGBLCK11

To me, it depends if you want to restore 1 car or 2.  If you trade, restore the 68, flip it, buy a C500 project, you will have to then restore it too.  The 69 looks like it is the cleaner car to start with, as you said, so you could just build the clone from the start.  You also do not know how long it will take before the right/affordable C500 comes along, after selling the 68.  I would also weigh how much you will have to spend on parts to finish the 68 RT.  In the end, the orig. C500 would be of more value, but you would have a lot less time and money just doing the clone.  You would also have it sooner.   :Twocents:

maxwellwedge

Or - Sell the car, save your pennies and buy a real 500.

The money you have to put in the 68 - even the 69 adds up fast....you doing the labor or not. And time is money. Take that time and do a bunch of cash jobs (this is the save your pennies part).

FlatbackFanatic

I'd keep the 69 and make the 500 clone... :2thumbs:
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

Charger-Bodie

Id keep the 69 and build a Daytona clone! Or the 68 r/t would be sweet too. PP1 is sharp.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Daytona R/T SE

Stick with the one you have...

You already know what you've got...

No surprises...

Build the 500 clone you want...

Be happy...

skip68

If it was me, I'd keep the 69 and make a 500 clone.    :yesnod:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Brightyellow69rtse

i love 68s too but id keep the 69. it looks like a real solid car.

elacruze

I agree, if budget is any sort of consideration, keep what you have. If you plan to flip it when done, maybe the '68 is net more.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

RallyeMike

You only have so much time to build cars. If a 500 is your dream, get to work on the 69 or start saving your pennies for Stuart's car.

Mike
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Cooter

IMO....Obviously, the guy wanting to trade is looking to make a quick buck after the '68 R/T hasn'ty had many offers. Now, if he can get his hands on a clean, fairly rust free '69 and flip it without having to do much to it, he's in the money. R/T or not, that '68 IMO, isn't worth what a cleaner '69 is....

Besides, in this economy, your gonna be lucky to even sell that '68 for what you'll have in parts alone from what I can see. Then, there's the problem of buying a real 500.

In other words, keep what you got, because the grass is NEVER greener on the other side.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1969chargerrtse

Hard call because you want to build the clone.  Anyone that knows me, knows I think a true R/T beats a clone.  I picture that 68 all done as a real R/T with the tag and 440 in it and say take a little more time and build a true 68 R/T.  But I seem to be alone on this one.  :eek2:  On the other had if your a 69 nut like me, no 68 R/T in any shape is gonna sway you from the beauty of a 69.  A gorgeous 68 is not a beautiful as a 69, to a nice 69 lover.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

rick.d

Not sure how long you have had plans for the 500 clone, but if its been a while and its not done yet, then think how long it would take to restore the 68....that's something only you can answer. I would keep the 69.

CornDogsCharger

I really appreciate everyone's input.  I can agree with what everyone is saying to be honest.  I guess that it why it is so hard for me to make a decision.  '69 Charger's are my favorite but a '68 is right there with it, just slightly behind.  But as mentioned already... I agree with the clone vs real car debate.  I can appreciate a clone (only if it's done right) but when you see a real high end car that is #'s matching, and restored back the way it once was... I can appreciate that a whole lot more.  

Then there's the whole "time" issue.  I tend to overlook that part.  I'm probably the world's worst when it comes to actually having/making time to do certain projects.  I usually take on more than I really have time for.  Between restoring cars at work and doing projects for friends at home, I do no have time to work on my own stuff... that doesn't even include time with the wife and little girl (which always out weighs "project-time" at home).  Recently, I have told myself that there will be no more projects at home other than my own.  So hopefully, by the end of the year, that will come to an end.  

About the guy with the 68RT.  He isn't your average modern day "flipper".  He's a young guy (maybe 40) but kind of old fashioned.  He lives way out in the middle of no where, does not have internet, does not have an email address, and his cell phone will not take or receive pictures (I asked him to text me some pictures of the RT but he couldn't).  He is in the market for a decent '69 body because he has always wanted to build a General Lee and does not have the heart to convert a #'s matching 68RT into a GL.  He just wants a plain jane car to start with.  The other '68-70 Charger you see sitting next to it..... it's a 68RT 440 4spd car and he's calling it a parts car.  I wish I had the problem of only being able to find RT's and not a plain jane version.  Honestly, I think he is overwhelmed with the amount of work the 68 will require.  He is not one to jump in and start replacing many large panels all at once.  He is okay with patches and all.  

Unless he can really sweeten the deal to make it a no-brainer, then I'm thinking about keeping my '69.  Plus, when I showed him pictures of my car, he didn't realize the car was in such good shape.  So maybe he's telling himself that if he wants this car, he'll have to step it up a bit.  Again, thanks for all of the input!!!

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: rick.d on November 27, 2011, 07:30:15 AM
Not sure how long you have had plans for the 500 clone, but if its been a while and its not done yet, then think how long it would take to restore the 68....that's something only you can answer. I would keep the 69.

I've been collecting all of the needed parts in order to do the conversion.  I'm a firm believer in not starting a project until you have enough of the needed parts to take you a long ways into the restoration. 

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

bill440rt

Money comes into play only "if" you plan on selling either in the end. If you plan on keeping either car for a long period of time, then money really doesn't matter. The longer you keep either car, the more money you'll have in it: upgrading/correct parts, expendable parts, simple maintenance, etc. I've had my '68 since the mid-'80's. If I were to add up dollar for dollar what I've spent on it over the last few decades, I know I'll NEVER get that all back. The car just brings me happiness.
I've never built a car strictly for selling it in the end, I like restoring them because simply because I love Chargers.

"If" I had to choose between either of those cars, I'd just have to weigh in what kind of car would I really want in the end? I don't think I'd want a C500 clone. I've secretly lusted after a C500 ever since I laid eyes on one, but I would just want a real one. But, that's just me.
Besides, I'm kinda partial to PP1 '68 Chargers, anyway.  :icon_smile_big: :yesnod:

Good luck, & keep us posted with your decision!  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

MoparManJim

Keep the 1969 Charger, leave the 1968 Charger go. That's what I would do if I had to make the choice between the two the chargers.

CornDogsCharger

Bill, did you really have to post those pictures?!  Haha.  That's exactly how I would build the car if I had it.  But honestly, it really isn't about the $, but... I would want to know that if times got rough and I had to sell it, I could get the most percentage of my investment back out of it.

But since we're on the topic of $ amount let me ask.  What would be the value of a C500 clone that has gone through a nut and bolt accurate restoration?  You don't see them very often to be honest. Right now I am leaning towards the C500 clone project but when I finish it, if I happen to come across a real C500 project where the price is right, I would be tempted to unload the clone in favor of the real deal.

Back to what maxwellwedge said about saving my pennies for the real car. I would absoluetly love to go that route but I know if the money is sitting there my wife will find a way to spend it. Then I will be without anything. Where's the fun in that. Haha.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

maxwellwedge

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on November 27, 2011, 02:45:18 PM
Back to what maxwellwedge said about saving my pennies for the real car. I would absoluetly love to go that route but I know if the money is sitting there my wife will find a way to spend it. Then I will be without anything. Where's the fun in that. Haha.

Justin
"CornDog"

Oh yeah - I forgot about that part..... :icon_smile_blackeye:   :lol:

Aero426

Justin, if the 68 was a little nicer I would go for it.   But since it's not, I would build your '69, and consider selling it to get your next project, hopefully a real R/T, etc but in better shape.  Any 68/70 Charger is a great car, whether born as an R/T or not.

djcarguy

Maybe trade for  both of his 68s and say do the metal work 4  him on your 69. save or sell # match 68rt and do a clone early c500 and keep it with 68 side markers and or taillights like the first proto type c 500, with  the 4spd 68?? do yout want 4spd or auto,street  legal , race car or just a millon ways to go,just lots of time and money and work and wife and kid ,,you see where this is giong??? your car and your dream ,have fun..dj :popcrn:

tan top

restored PP1 R/T  looks awesome :drool5: :drool5: :yesnod: & would love to own one  in that color combo

think though !   yes its good having R/T  etc etc , but you are really limited to what you do to it , i know you car & do what you like  etc etc ,
 if i had the chance to build a C500 clone , would do it  ! build it how you want !!  & for me that would mean a road going clone of a race car :yesnod:  tube front end , caged up the lot  , alter the sheet metal & stuff to fit nascar size rims &  rubber   :Twocents:
:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

PocketThunder

i would sell your 69 outright and buy stuarts C500.   :yesnod:   :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Troy

Well, I like 68s so I'd take the R/T over nearly any 69. You can do all the hard work that the rest of us pay for so the cost isn't as much of an issue. Yes, time is money so if you want something you can drive any time soon you're better off staying with what you've got.

As for value, if you had to get rid of something, it is my opinion that a 69 500 clone will be a tougher sell (with the real ones coming down in value recently) than a restored, numbers matching 68 R/T. Even a base 69 Charger would be an easier sell. If you truly want a 500 spend the cash and get a real one - unless you put as many miles on it as I do!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

djcarguy

:popcrn: any update or progress ,as to trade or fix what ya got???  or is troys post really to be known as the dreeded thread killer as per other thread,,,,,what kills some threads?????? good luck with project. :popcrn:

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

71green go

My two cents...

I love the 68.....probably because of childhood memories....but love the grill and the tail lights the best..I would do one in a heart beat if it came along.

Do Not like the 69 500 project idea...not a fan and would have to be on the bottom of my own personal charger list.

But...do want you want its only money!  ;)

billschroeder5842

Always, always, always...go for what you can drive today.
Texas Proud!

Scaregrabber

I think the bottom line is you want a 69. Your 69 will be less work as well.

Sheldon

404NOTFOUND

I would stay with the '69. Nothing like a solid car to begin with. My car was found complete and has all it's original panels and floors. That's how I like em. Clones and originals look the same going down the street and you can rev up your clone without worrying about blowing a numbers matching block.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

jaak

Quote from: FlatbackFanatic on November 26, 2011, 10:24:21 PM
I'd keep the 69 and make the 500 clone... :2thumbs:

X2...I have always wanted a 500 clone (I know I will never be able to buy a real one).

Good luck with whatever you choose,
Jason

charge1

I know of a 69 Charger 500 for sale in CT if your intrested

GL#10

Hey

Keep the 69  it is a solid charger , less work    .  Get your Tv/movie General lee back done and on the road !!. Then go after a 500 .

K.c