News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct steering collumn?

Started by Ants, November 25, 2011, 06:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ants

This is the steering column that was in my 68 when i picked it up. It was bolted to the firewall but not to the dash or steering box, making me think the seller just threw it in.

I know the wheel it wrong but Would this be the correct column for a B-Body?

bill440rt

:scope:

Sure looks like an E-body column to me. Steering wheel, too.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger RT

I think it might be the right column. On an E body column the wheel adapter is the same diameter as the column. Your column diameter is smaller then the adapter. Plus look how far the turn signal stalk is away from the wheel. Take off the steering wheel and adapter and fit it up with a correct wheel and see how it fits in the car.
Tim

bill440rt

Quote from: Charger RT on November 25, 2011, 11:01:20 PM
I think it might be the right column. On an E body column the wheel adapter is the same diameter as the column. Your column diameter is smaller then the adapter. Plus look how far the turn signal stalk is away from the wheel. Take off the steering wheel and adapter and fit it up with a correct wheel and see how it fits in the car.
Tim

Ya know Tim, I think you're right!
An E-body column would also have the ignition switch on the column as well. Although, the turn signal stalk is quite a ways down from the wheel on E-bodies as well.
If that's a B-body column with an E-body steering wheel & adapter on it, just think how "in yer face" that steering wheel would be. Yikes!  :eek2:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

MRCHARGER

The column is correct, but not the coffee can or steering wheel. It's for a console/4 speed car.

gtx6970

like mentioned - it sure looks like a 1969 and earlier B-body column with an E-body wheel and adapter.

B-bodies use a 4 hole plate at the firewall and E-bodies use a 3 hole plate

is the plastic molded connector still on the wiring ? you can narrow it down for cetain from there

Ants

Wiring Connector! :brickwall:
I didn't even think to look at that, it dose plug right in to my dash harness and the car is a console car.:2thumbs:
I just saw the e-body wheel and how close it was to the seat and assumed the entire column was wrong. I didn't pay attention to it until yesterday and didn't really look at it unti now.

thanks for the Help!