News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

6 pak question

Started by poppa, November 18, 2011, 06:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

I bought a used 6 pak,I believe it is an aftermarket one. The center carb has a little "lever" that lifts a rubber piece up,off the top of the bowl. Is this a breather of some sort? And,the front carb has the same thing but not the rear.Do I have two center carbs or ??? No diaphrams on the front or back. Thanks
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

Rolling_Thunder

the thing you're referring to is a bowl vent. sounds like two center carbs -  the front and back should have diaphrams
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

maxwellwedge

Here is what they should look like.

Chryco Psycho

the center carb is very different from the end carbs , do the end carbs have accelerator pumps ? The race carbs had no diaphragms but all three carbs had accelerator pumps

poppa

Took pics,makes it easier. Mine don't look like that.

maxwellwedge

You have a full mechanical set....Chevy style with the fuel lines on the drivers side.

b5blue

:scratchchin:   Name on the intake?

poppa

Edelbrock, ch6b. Only thing else I see is the firing order. Will this work for me? Guy said it was on a Coronet and working but....

b5blue

It's a totally different critter than a stock one......I've no idea what you'll be in for! Stock are vacuum controlled secondarys, fuel input on the other side, outboard's have metering plates not blocks and no accelerator pumps or power valves like yours most likely do.  :scratchchin:

Budnicks

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 19, 2011, 02:29:57 PM
You have a full mechanical set....Chevy style with the fuel lines on the drivers side.
Yep Ford like 406 or 390 style 3 deuces carburetors or Chevy style, with side pivot floats, mechanical 30cc acc. pumps, acc. discharge nozzles, metering block, adjustable jetting & power valves, instead of Vacuum diaphragm/spring style secondary acuaters, with metering plates, sure it could be made to work, I would go thru them thoroughly, clean & rebuild/re-gasket at a minimum, they look pretty crusty, like they sat for a will, it wont be restoration correct, if you don't care about that type of deal go for it... I think, but not totally sure, it's been a while, but those are all rated I believe at either 350cfm or 500cfm each X 3 depending on model #s, with a total of 1050cfm/1500cfm vs the 6bbl/6 pack are 350cfm center & 500cfm Vacuum actuated out boards for a total of 1350cfm... No big deal just commenting on the setup....
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

BrianShaughnessy

Holley 4782 center /  4783 outboard aftermarket setup.   Congrats you even got a old school fuel log.  Took me several years to find one of those.

The front carb bowl is wrong of course but it can be replaced.   They're all 2300's for the most part.

Keep the fuel pressure down to 4.5 / 5 psi to keep the side mount floats from blowing the needles off the seats.

Thankfully for all the new blue reusable gasket technology you can buy a bunch of new bowl / block gaskets once.  Also hit up ebay for nylon bowl screw gaskets. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Chryco Psycho

cool , I have the same set up , also a customer has the same system , I actually prefer them , more tunable

no318

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 19, 2011, 05:15:51 PM
cool , I have the same set up , also a customer has the same system , I actually prefer them , more tunable
I agree, too.  I have the same set up on my 440.

poppa

If the whole front carb is like the center one,wouldn't I need a different carb for that spot?? Thinking being-outboards 500 cfm and center 350 cfm. Wouldn't I have 350-350-500?? As it sits. If the front and rear numbers (on carb) are the same,I can assume it's just the bowl,correct. Going to check that now.

poppa

Duh,no choke on front. Same number as back one. Anyone have one of these bowls laying around,doing nothing,collecting dust,taking up valuable shelf space?? :D

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: poppa on November 19, 2011, 06:47:20 PM
Duh,no choke on front. Same number as back one. Anyone have one of these bowls laying around,doing nothing,collecting dust,taking up valuable shelf space?? :D

I guess the only way to tell for sure is for you to look at them.... and let us know.

The center carb should have smaller throttle blades since it's 350 cfm.     The outer 2 are 500s and have larger matching blades.   

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Chryco Psycho

you can see the front carb has the smaller lever & no choke so it is the correct carb with the wrong bowl , if you look closely you can see the float level is higher on the center carb & front carb so you would have to set the front carb lower than the sight plug to be correct ,you can order new bowls from Holley

poppa

Thanks for all the info guys. Have a great Thanksgiving!

poppa

Hi all  Hope everyones T-day was good. I found more numbers on this manifold,they are Chry 3412046.Any info on this number? I also noticed ,while disassembling the two carbs are missing their "squirters". If anyone sells parts for these I would be interested in the "squirters" and the one bowl. Thank you.

maxwellwedge

http://www.holley.com/121-325.asp

You probably need the screw as well? Go to a speed shop or a race motor shop.....The probably have tons of used Holley parts kicking around.

poppa

Yes,thank you. I will need the two screws. I could also use the choke rod and well assy (goes to manifold).

poppa

I take it all the "squirters" would have to be the same number?? I actually found a couple but they have a smaller number.

Chryco Psycho

the center carb usually has a smaller squirter , you only want them just big enough to prevent a bog , any larger si just wasting fuel