News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2nd set of incorrect mounts....what to do?

Started by Brightyellow69rtse, November 25, 2011, 11:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightyellow69rtse

should i reuse my original ones or keep looking for a set thats actually made correctly? i just threw my old ones in the ultrasonic cleaner as they were really nasty. they appear to be in good condition other than that though.

i tried doing rons trick to one of the mounts i bought that were made incorrectly. i was unable to find flathead bolts so i used regular bolts and ground the head down a bit,but it was still hitting the k frame.

should i try to reinforce it somehow or just throw them back in?

Cooter

BrightYellow, I would simply die gring the holes on the incorrect mounts and mount 'em up. Just simply grind the holes to where they are the same hieght as the originals.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

firefighter3931

Quote from: Cooter on November 25, 2011, 12:00:47 PM
BrightYellow, I would simply die gring the holes on the incorrect mounts and mount 'em up. Just simply grind the holes to where they are the same hieght as the originals.

That'll work but the hole will be too big and the mount will lift as the engine torques over.  :P

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on November 25, 2011, 11:09:45 AM
should i reuse my original ones or keep looking for a set thats actually made correctly? i just threw my old ones in the ultrasonic cleaner as they were really nasty. they appear to be in good condition other than that though.

i tried doing rons trick to one of the mounts i bought that were made incorrectly. i was unable to find flathead bolts so i used regular bolts and ground the head down a bit,but it was still hitting the k frame.

should i try to reinforce it somehow or just throw them back in?

Clean up the original mounts and if they're in good shape just reinforce them.  :yesnod:

Here's a link for the bolts : http://www.nutsandbolts.com/3816-x-2-12-plain-flat-head-socket-cap-screw-qty-10-p-1163.html

These guys are in Mass so probably not too far away from you  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Cooter

Thanks Ron, I guess I shoulda mentioned to try and weld washers on 'em. I know I caould reapir and make 'em work, but to try and tell someone else doesn't always come out right every time.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

maxwellwedge

It just isn't the hole side - the side with the nut is off too.

Brightyellow69rtse

i was in the garage all day heres what i did. one original mount was good so i used that on the pass side as that just gets compressed under load. i took one of the india mounts and dremeled the tack weld on the nut and got it off. then i welded both holes completly closed. constantly dunking it in water so the rubber wouldnt get hot. then i layed out both holes in the correct location. i even reused the nut with the built in shoulder on it and tack welded it back in place. then i ground the shape of the bracket so that it was similar to the factory mount. as the brackets were totally different in shape.

she bolted right it! the motors mounted as is the tranny. that tranny was a bastard to get in there! i got the pass side header bolted up aswell.

maxwellwedge

Good work.   :2thumbs:

That's why I spend a hundred on an NOS pair....Time is money