News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A Charger Rallye Dash + clock resurection - Detail pictures inside - UPDATED

Started by gtx6970, November 24, 2011, 11:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtx6970

I thought this might be a good topic to cover here. I've done a couple of these. Using the modern quartz movement . Avail at several venders.
Although they are not hard to do,, but can look intimidating to those leary of dealing with electrical components.

So , here goes.

1st off take a couple overall pictures of the clock in question to familize yourself what it should look like when completed.
Ft and back

gtx6970

Look the clock assy over and you'll find these small metal tabs securing the pieces together. I use an exacto knife to lift the tabs slightly, then simply bend them with small needle nose pliers and seperate the the faces.

gtx6970

This is what your after. 2 seperate clock faces

To remove the clock pointers, just simply grab each needle with your fingers.  I don't recomend using pliers as they can damage the sides of the needle making them hard to re-install. Grab them and lift  with a slight twist to remove.

gtx6970

Once you have the dials and needles off this is what you'll find.
the clock movement is held in with a simple squashed edge. Using a pair of needle nose pliers simply bend them back to remove.

This is the movement, once removed

gtx6970

Once you have the movement out. You need to seperate the movement from the rear plate.
To do so, simply take a small flat bladed screwdriver inserted under these circular clips and twist. You don't reuse these so don't worry when they go flying( and they will )

This is what your after, 3 small studs protruding thru rubber isolaters in the plate

gtx6970

Once you have the clips removed, simply grab the clock from the backside and lift it off and sit it aside. Your done with it.

gtx6970

With the clock removed your ready to start going back together with the new quartz movement.
1st you have to count the teeth on the adjuster shaft to figure out which set of gears need to be used.( A in the picture shown above )
Mine had 12 teeth , so it requires the 2 red gears be used as shown.
This is the new movement.  Also, make sure you intall the 3 small brass cups on the shafts .
You have to transfer the 2 brass pointer shafts to the new movement. But they simply lift up  off the clock with ease.

The instructions suggest putting these rubber isolaters on the 3 shafts of the new clock. But I think it's much easier to isntall them in the plate itself instead.

gtx6970

Now your ready to install the new quartz movement.
Simply set the 3 small guide posts of the clock in the rubber grommets . It only goes in one way, so you can't screw it up.

Once in, turn the clock over , and supporting it from the backside.
You  should see the 3 studs protruding thru the grommets, and with  these 3 new clips provided with the clock. Just set them over each succesive stud and with a small ID socket. It might be a good idea to use a small dab of vasoline on the end of the socket to keep the new  clips from going the same place the old ones went. Then simply push them down over the studs. It doesn't ' take much so go easy and don't over do it.
Then install the assembled clock in the back of the gauge housing and bend the retaining tabs back down to secure it

gtx6970

While you there , it might be good idea to reface the clock dials.
I use the decals from Premium Dash Decals with excellant results. and I highly recomend them.
http://premiumdashdecals.com/

gtx6970

I have yet to have to repaint any of the faces ( this is my 3rd time using the decals )

Simply clean up each gauge ( I use an old toothbrush ) and wipe it down with a lint free rag.

The instructions that come with the decals are pretty straight forward and easy to follow.
One thing I would suggest ,,,
Is mark each face to give you something as a referance point to aline each decal to .
I make a small scratch in the sides of the gauge( not visibile once the clock is assembled and back in the cluster.)

and

gtx6970

Once you have the decals where you want them,, simply take a light cloth and rub them down.

Repeat with the other panel,  and reassemble the pieces bending the tabs back down to secure it together.

Now would be a good time to connect a 12v power supply to the assembly to make sure it works

And finally , once re-installed back in the dash , the difference is night and day.
Just sit back and enjoy your work.

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Roth68rt

Hey Bill, any idea where to get the adjustment shaft?  The threads on mine are broken off. 

Steve

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

Wow, thanks Bill!  I have a couple sitting around that need that done to them so this is going to come in handy.  Any recommendations where to buy the quartz movement?

gtx6970

Quote from: Roth68rt on November 24, 2011, 11:20:28 PM
Hey Bill, any idea where to get the adjustment shaft?  The threads on mine are broken off.  

Steve

Only place I can think of is either a used clock on your own, or contact one of the big rebuilders and see if they have any spare parts. No one repops it as far as I know

Quote from: Roth68rt on November 24, 2011, 11:20:28 PM

Any recommendations where to buy the quartz movement?

Cars owner bought this one. But I think all the dash  rebuilders  all the same quartz movement.
This one came from
Instrument Services
Roscoe , IL.
phone 800-558-2674

http://clocksandgauges.com/

gtx6970

Following are the rest of the gauges , now tested, cleaned, and refaced and back the housing - ready for the dash bezel to come back from the chrome platers.

charger500az

You did a great job on your dash. Congrats. Quick queston for you or anyone here at the board. Is there any way that I can get a few pics of the back of the cluster with the wires hooked up. I have some wires crossed up and I'm still having trouble. Not really good at this stuff and the chart is not helping me much. Not an electrical person. Lol. So please if you guys can descibe which wires go to which gauges? Also where do the wires with the clips go that come out of the headlight switch and dimmer switch go to? What about the black wire as well? Other than the steeing wheel ground and screws in dash, are there any other grounds. Thanks a million for any help and advice. Especially for pics.