News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

suspension rebuild....anyone use duralast stuff?

Started by mpdlawdog, November 03, 2011, 03:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpdlawdog

Im on a budget and my 68 charger needs the suspension rebuilt....it has the original stuff under it.....I was wondering if the duralast stuff was any good and if anyone else used it for their rebuild.  Thx
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

Chryco Psycho

I have not even heard of duralast , I use Moog part & energy suspension for the bushings

mpdlawdog

autozone carrys it.....only reason I am asking is that my friend has a shop here in town an i can get his discount on the parts....I dont have a ton of money and still have a few things to do....still need a radiator, front end rebuild and engine wiring harness to feel 'save' driving it other than around town.....

Rolling_Thunder

from my experience is the Duralast stuff is actually pretty decent. I bought a bunch of suspension stuff from AutoZone back when I used to work there...     the awesome part is the lifetime warranty that comes with the parts - when they wear out or have problems - take them back and get a new one for free...       
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

mpdlawdog

GreenMachine

I bought my ball joints and tie rod ends from Autozone several years ago, I'm not sure if it was Duralast or not. One of my lower ball joints had excessive play after about 3 years (found during an alignment) and I replaced it with Moog (from O'reilley's). Everything else has held up well, I'd say it's been about 6-7 years and maybe 25,000 miles.

If I had to do it again I would go with Moog for piece of mind and the excellent quality, but if you're pinching pennies, the Autozone parts are just fine. You might want to check with O'reilley's and see if they still carry Moog, if they do, I'm sure the price will be comparable.

When I was a teenager, I rebuilt the front end of my '78 Camaro with JC Whitney parts, the car was my daily driver and I put about 10-15,000 miles a year on it. After about 2 years, everything had excessive slop, almost dangerous.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

bull

Where is Moog made? I wonder if it's as awesome as so many people say.

oldcarnut

Dave, if you have an Advance auto by you there's another way to possibly save some bucks.  I have a commercial acct with them but I often get better savings by using the promos from the online site.  Sometimes they get some good savings.  It changes often but you just order online and pick up at the store of your choice like you would anyway.  Worth looking into for price shopping.   I rebuilt my front end with moog mostly all from Advance.  Looked them up at Rock Auto and then Advance matched prices on the rest I didnt order online.  Sign up for their email and get more promos mailed to you.
David

Paul G

I cant say specifically that Duralast suspension and steering parts are crap. But I have learned my lesson with Auto Zone parts. I wont use them again. Every part I have used from Auto Zone has been crap, alternators, engine mounts, water pumps, etc., unless it was a brand name part. Duralast is there house brand. I would stay away. Never had a problem with Moog parts, never.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

astjp2

Raybestos is now making suspension components they used to be listed as a spicer product.  They are built different than moog and I am thinking of trying them on my 68.  Tim