News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gauges not working

Started by RogerDodger, November 25, 2011, 04:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogerDodger

Hi all. My gauges have never worked properly and always assumed it was the voltage limiter. I finally got around to getting a new one and it didn't solve the problem. It is a 74 with Ralley cluster that use the ebody limiter. I am getting the pulsing 12v through the limiter to the gauges but no response from the gauges. I checked that the dash is grounded even added a ground to it. Is it possible all 3 gauges are fried. I tried a 9v battery hooked to each gauge and they don't move. There was movement before I changed the limiter it was very random. There was times when the oil gauge would show some life and other times when the fuel gauge would move. Either one or the other never both. The temp gauge has never moved as far as I know. Any ideas? Thanks.

Budnicks

Bad Printed circuit board maybe,  :shruggy: bad sending unit connections or just bad sending unit, bad main firewall bulkhead connections, corrosion, rust, bad body to engine or body to chassis grounds etc...  :Twocents:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

RogerDodger

74 Ralley dash. Doesn't have a circuit board. There is a stud for the 5v current and one to the sending unit. If I touch a 9v battery to the studs shouldn't it move the needle? I get nothing. I guess it's possible the old limiter fried the gauges before I got it switched out. If so can they be replaced. I'm guessing they are not readily available.

Budnicks

Quote from: RogerDodger on November 27, 2011, 12:46:03 PM
74 Ralley dash. Doesn't have a circuit board. There is a stud for the 5v current and one to the sending unit. If I touch a 9v battery to the studs shouldn't it move the needle? I get nothing. I guess it's possible the old limiter fried the gauges before I got it switched out. If so can they be replaced. I'm guessing they are not readily available.
I don't know squat about the 74 Ralley gauges, someone else will have to help with them, I was just using the 68 gauge & board as a possible reference... Good luck maybe try calling a gauge repair/restoration shop...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks