News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to put your 74 wiper linkage together pics....

Started by ramairthree, November 19, 2011, 02:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramairthree

Most have sorted out why nylon bushings to get, the different arms for two vs. three speeds, which switch for which motor and dash,
there is a ton of info on here.

During many hours of searching, I found two pictures that show how the linkage goes together.

This picture is right.

The transmission arm is connected to the FRONT of the wiper, and the linage arm going to the passenger wiper is connected on the BACK.
This picture was pulled from a search on the forum.

This picture is wrong.
The transmission arm is connected to the BACK of the wiper, and the linage arm going to the passenger wiper is connected on the FRONT.
This picture was pulled from a search on the forum.  The linkage does not work right this way.

This is not a slam on anyone.  That picture came from where I have gotten tons of useful information.  My 74 came with a wiper motor in the trunk, and a stud in the wiper switch location.  I could not have gotten the right pieces together and assembled without the help of this forum.

But it will save you time and two bushings to assembly the right way the first time instead of the second time.

Also, just in case you forget.  You can only connect to the wiper motor stud in two places, 180 degrees from each other.  When the wiper motor is parked, you want to connect your transmission arm in the direction that is CLOSEST to the driver's side wiper.  If you do it the other way, it will try to bring your wipers into the engine bay down from parked instead of up towards your windshield.  What can I say?  You can stand on either the driver's side or passenger side, and be facing towards the rear or front of the car.  Plenty of chances to do something backwards now and then.

I have not found a source of tubing connectors or hose that is of the same size as the small hoses that are connected to the wiper arms.  I got something together and it works.

Anyways, thanks to all on this forum who answer questions and post information.

I would not have a working sunroof, working wipers, working washer resovoir and pumps, etc. without all the helpful people and information here.

E5 Charger

Good eye. I looked at my photos of when I took mine off and agree with you. And, agree with you about this site. I have a bad habit of taking things apart and not taking photos of everything. There always seems to be one thing I didn't take a photo of and can't remember how it goes back together. A quick search or post and I get the answer!

Nacho-RT74

yeap, those pics are from my thread. The first pic is my own car assembly ( 74 ) what it was never parted out at the picture moment except for the parking cam...

the second pic was from another member who is lost from the board from looong time ago. He gave me for free on those days some stuff of those assemblies

so who knows. Maybe some years changes ?

NOW if you note closelly, the first pic againts the second pic, the pivot baseplate looks to be BIGGER on the first pic than the second pic, soooo, there is another diff there
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html