News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

For those of you that are old enough, what were you doing 48 years ago today?

Started by Tilar, November 22, 2011, 08:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilar

48 years ago today, JFK was shot at 12:30 p.m. Central time on Friday, November 22, 1963.

I was in the cafeteria at school standing in line when the lady came over the loud speaker crying and telling us that JFK had been shot. At that time they didn't know if he was dead or not, but they let school out very soon afterwards.

Anyone that is old enough will remember where they were and what they were doing.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

nvrbdn

yep, i was in grade school. they came to our class and had everyone go to the auditorium for an assembly. then told the school what had happened and we headed back to our classrooms to retrieve our stuff and wait for the bus.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

68X426

I was in the second grade. It's the earliest memory I have, being sent home from school for reasons I didn't understand. I thought maybe I did something wrong.

My dad was home and painting a wall in the living room. I thought he must have done something wrong too, if he had been sent home like me. Years later I understood.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

shorty442

I was a senior in high school and was walking the halls between classes when I heard the PA system announcement and saw lots of the girls already in tears.  Took some years for the whole situation to sink in, plus all the conspiracy theory's since then.  We may never now for sure.

maxwellwedge

RallyeMike

I wasnt born yet, though I know exactly what me parents were doing right about that time  :o
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

ChgrSteve67

Daytona R/T SE

skip68

I wasnt born till 8 years later. Seen alot of footage over the years, and im still not completly confident in the investigation.  :Twocents: I do remember my favorite President, President Ronald Reagan's attemped assination! I was in tears at my babysitters/afterschool care house when i saw the breaking news story. It was weird that I was so destraught at such a young age! Still get Ronald Reagan museum magazines! 
Mrs.skip68
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Old Moparz

I was born in '62 so I doubt I had the news on, I was probably drooling on something. I know as I got a little older, the JFK assassination was still a big story. I vaguely recall hearing the news about his brother Robert being shot & thinking it would be pretty scary to be a Kennedy.

Quote from: skip68 on November 23, 2011, 01:22:14 AM

I wasnt born till 8 years later. Seen alot of footage over the years, and im still not completly confident in the investigation.  :Twocents:

Mrs.skip68

You might be interested in a new movie planned with Leonardo DiCaprio for 2013 called, "Legacy of Secrecy". The TV show the other night mentioned that DeNiro will be in it too as Mafia godfather Carlos Marcello. Not sure how much truth, conspiracy or Hollywood's spin on it will be, but I bet it'll be a good movie.

http://www.thomhartmann.com/blog/2010/11/dicaprio-star-jfk-talebased-book-about-john-f-kennedy-assassination-lamar-waldron-and-t

DiCaprio is expected to play FBI informant Jack Van Laningham. The book -- whose full title is "Legacy of Secrecy: The Long Shadow of the JFK Assassination" -- asserts that Mafia godfather Carlos Marcello confessed to Van Laningham to having ordered JFK's assassination. As part of a dangerous and long-secret undercover operation, the FBI positioned Van Laningham to become confidant to Marcello, who ruled organized crime in Louisiana and most of Texas for decades.

"Legacy of Secrecy" includes information from declassified FBI files from the National Archives which details the FBI's clandestine operation with Van Laningham and Marcello's JFK confession. The book also included information from FBI and Secret Service files showing that more than a dozen of Marcello's associates and family members were questioned or arrested by authorities in assocation with the JFK assassination. Marcello, who died in 1993, has not yet been the subject of a feature film. Marcello's name did not appear in the 1964 Warren Report, but the 1979 House Select Committee on Assassinations said mobster Santo Trafficante and Marcello "had the motive, means, and opportunity to assassinate President Kennedy."
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

RECHRGD

I was sneaking a cigarette in a bathroom between classes in high school.  The Vice Principle walked in and I thought I was busted.  He just told me to put out the smoke and go to an assembly that was just called......
13.53 @ 105.32

HPP

I wasn't around then, but I do believe it was a defining moment of American history.

While my opinion has shifted some over the years since, I do think it is not only possible, but fairly certain that Oswald alone actually killed the president. The conspiricy and players behind the scenes that all lead up to the moment, are the more difficult ones to identify and nail down, and we may never actually know who they were.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

NHCharger

I was watching Romper Room when they cut in with the news. I had no idea why my Mom was crying. My Dad was stationed at Otis AFB at the time and would get to see JFK when he flew in to go to the Kennedy compound. This is one of my earlist memories.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

learical1

I was in the third grade, but I was sick that morning and didn't go to school.  My dad stayed home with me (Mom was a school teacher, Dad was a full-timer in the AZ Army National Guard; easier for him to stay home than Mom).  I was playing in my room ("If you're sick, you need to stay in your room.") when Dad walked in and told me.  I remember thinking it was sad because he had young kids. 
Bruce

nvrbdn

did you see they just showed a film that they said was the only they knew had this angle on it where the parade was going away from the camera getting ready to make a right turn. in the film it shows a figure in the window of the building the shot is supposed to come from. if that was oswald, he was watching the kennedy car come right at him and turn left which would be to his right and drive straight away from him. they said if the film actually shows him setting there in the window he had plenty of time to set it up and take whatever shot he wanted. :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

maxwellwedge

histoy

I was attending an all-school assembly in our high school gym.  They interrupted the program to announce that JFK had been shot, and then sent everyone home.

68neverlate

Loading a diaper... I was full of it back then.  Come to think of it, not much has changed... except for the diaper.       :eek2:

Tilar

I wasnt born till 8 years later. Seen alot of footage over the years, and im still not completly confident in the investigation.  :Twocents: I do remember my favorite President, President Ronald Reagan's attemped assination! I was in tears at my babysitters/afterschool care house when i saw the breaking news story. It was weird that I was so destraught at such a young age! Still get Ronald Reagan museum magazines! 
Mrs.skip68

Reagan was by far the best thing we've had in my lifetime.

As far as the investigation, It will take a lot of work to convince me that LBJ didn't have it done. He wasn't JFK's first choice for VP, It was someone from one of the Carolinas, and he had just announced that LBJ would NOT be his VP for the next election. I also think that John Connally was involved somehow.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

elacruze

I don't remember it, but I was crapping my diaper in Minot AFB, North Dakota.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bobs66440

oldgold69

i was in grade school  the nuns rounded us up and took us into the church then the priest told us  then they sent us home 

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Highbanked Hauler

I was 14 and a freshman in HS. We were in homeroom  about 2:00 and it came over the pa system and at first no one believed it till we were on the short bus and it was on the radio..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

68neverlate

Quote from: bobs66440 on November 23, 2011, 08:32:50 PM
I was onwy fwee and a half yews owd...   :shruggy:

You don't happen to chase waskewy wabbits awound with your wifow, do you?   :nana:

John_Kunkel

I was at work when the building PA announced the news....everything went silent for about a minute as the news sunk in then back to work

The only conspiracy theory I still buy into.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Musicman

I was watching TV ...  Thinking about it now, it almost seems as though you saw someone getting assasinated everytime you turned on your TV back then... and most of the stuff was live then.

Budnicks

I was only 4 or so, I don't remember much about the actual day, but do remember seeing it on TV, asking my mother what happened... Probably playing with Tonka toys or some sort of toy car, on the floor, in front of the TV....
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

mikepmcs

I do remember my favorite President, President Ronald Reagan's attemped assination! I was in tears at my babysitters/afterschool care house when i saw the breaking news story. It was weird that I was so destraught at such a young age! Still get Ronald Reagan museum magazines!  
Mrs.skip68

:2thumbs:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Mike DC

I'm too young to remember JFK's killing.  Seemed like a gigantic 9/11-size deal based on what I've read.

Some people have argued that the 8mm footage of the shooting was altered to obscure what happened.  I'm inclined to agree.  IMHO we've probably never seen unaltered footage of the shooting.

4cruzin

Quote from: TruckDriver on November 24, 2011, 09:22:22 PM
I was a little fetus yet inside my mother womb  :P

Yep . . . me too.  48 years ago today, I was still in momma's belly and won't be coming out for 7 more months . . .  :eek2:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .