News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

negative comments from ford and gm guys

Started by zoecube, November 22, 2011, 01:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoecube

I thought this might be an interesting thread,so, what are some negative (or stupid) thing you have heard gm or ford guys say about you charger or mopars in general?

PocketThunder

None really, they all wish they could have my Charger.   :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

41husk

I get many stupid comments, but I can fire right back.  In honesty I enjoy seeing a nice Ford, Chevy, GM, AMC or foriegn car.  Infact if I live long enough I will inherit a very nice 1953 MGTD :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 22, 2011, 01:53:07 PM
None really, they all wish they could have my Charger.   :yesnod:
Ditto. American car guys are cool. Now I had a punk Subaru guy talk about how his new WRX would beat my car. I just said go get a 69 Subaru so it'll be a fair race and I'll race that.   :icon_smile_wink: :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

bull

I've gotten it from Ford guys mainly but 99% is just friendly jabbing that I give them right back. There was one Ford guy I met once who took it too seriously but he was a zealous Ford worship cult leader or something - a real wierdo about the topic. Most classic GM and Ford guys appreciate all classic muscle, even though they would probably never own a Mopar. I too would proudly own a 65-69 Mustang fastback or a 66-67 Chevelle if I were rich but there are several Mopars I would buy before getting down to the Ford/Chevy categories.

Budnicks

Most people seem to like the older muscle cars especially 60's vintage, I haven't heard too many bad things ever, :hah: the worst I heard lately, was you know what MOPAR stands for ?, I kind of knew what was coming, because he's a die hard Ford guy, but I played along anyway, Mostly Old People And Rust, I replied you know what FORD stands for ? he say I'll play what ?  Fix Or Repair Daily, It was kind of funny at the time... we both just laughed we both are just car guys period regardless of the brand we both have owned many, but are loyal to 1 mainly... I know it's old stuff but you had to be there...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Lizey

My autoshop class has 31 kids in it. 25 have Chevys, 4 Fords, 1 GMC, and I alone have my Dodge. So needless to say I hear about it all the time, mainly about how their cars are so much easier to find parts for and easier to work on and all that crap. About 2 weeks ago I had to leave my truck in the shop overnight because I had not finished the rear brakes and when I came to class the next morning someone had written "Mostly Old People And Rednecks" on my rear window.
1977 Dodge Charger SE - Sold 4/18/15
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

Stretch

If it's all in fun, I'm all for ribbing one another. I can give it out with the best of them. As for the guys who are just Pr*#ks about it. I just ignore them totaly. No point in giving them the satisfaction.
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

jb666

Purists are assholes no matter what brand they own  :yesnod:

That aside, I've had my balls busted the hardest by a GM guy.. An El Camino guy, to be specific...   :brickwall:

68X426

The brand x folks can't even identify a Mopar compared to a Studebaker, a Hudson, or a Tucker.

They are incapable of a negative comment because our cars don't register on their limited knowledge radar.

Chevy guys in particular (at least in Northern CA) are shocked to see a Road Runner and routinely ask who made it.

Negative, no, clueless, yes.  :pity:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

meepmeep70

find mostly just car guy ribbing,lots see my 70 road runner and say i used to have a 69 road runner like that,it's a 69 right? or they call it a ford right? even though it says frikin plymouth all over it, i can enjoy any car somebody likes if there not a dick,one idiot who owns a body shop down the street from me,says you know what mopar stands for? slowpar,idiot has a chevy that NEVER is on the road to back it up

adauto

ford or chevy I dont know, but I've gotten lots of... "hey nice Charger"   ....even when the tops been down.  :image_294343:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

TK73

Yeah, was asked outside a NAPA if mine was a Mach 1.  Hear "Challenger" sometimes.

I'm leaving the badging off, let 'em guess...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

ChgrSteve67

I just tell them "you can't build mine out of a catalogue"

Driver Returns On Foot =  Ford Spelled Backwards

Cooter

Ribbing? Sure...Ford And Chevy. Mostly due to the ease of 572 C.I. in the Chevy guys parts book. They look at my busted, primered up Dart and scratch their heads wondering how that POS went  as quick as it did with IRON heads.. One even asked me one time at the local track "What you got in that thing? I see, but I don't believe it"..

Reply: "Black and Decker Aquarium pump...J2"...

Most of the neg. comments come from The "MPG police" as I call 'em these days. Things like "Wow! I bet that thing gets great gas mileage huh?"

Reply: "It doesn't register in Miles to the gallon, only smiles per gallon"...

Most all the Brand X guys know Mopars are the "Hot ticket of the minute" as far as $$$ goes, so they tend to be geared toward that.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bull

At work there was a Ford-loving coworker of mine who was trying to bust my balls recently about how much I had spent restoring my Charger. He told me he bet he could restore his 69 fastback Mustang for $10k. I told him that body work isn't going to cost any less because it's a Ford. Rebuilding an engine, transmission, rear end and interior won't be much cheaper just because it's a Ford. You might get some of the parts for less and they'll be more available but I guarantee you that if you do an extensive resto you'll be into it damn near as much as me. How far do you think you're going to get on $10k? That might cover just the body work and maybe the paint if you have no rust. His only retort was that his Mustang has no rust but by then a couple other guys that knew their stuff were laughing at him so he gave it up. And getting this guy to zip it is a major accomplishment.

I'm sure the car is gone now. Unbeknownst to him at the time his ex had stopped making the house payment several months earlier to save up cash for a divorce. :rotz: I like the guy, and I don't wish that sort of treatment on anyone, but boy he sure loved needling me about the Charger - especially when a couple other guys were around to listen in. But then I've talked to many "experts" with lots of restoration advice who've never restored even a tricycle.

Dino

I work in an orthopaedic clinic so most of the cars here are either run of the mill cars the medical assistants drive or high end luxury cars the doctors drive.  All seem to have great respect and nothing but praise for the Charger.

A guy in my sub drives a 68 Camaro convertible and we'll do the thumbs up every time.  There's a few Mustangs around that seem a bit more reluctant but still give thumbs up when they see mine.   :icon_smile_big:

At a 4 way stop this newer black Charger appeared on my right wanting to turn left and drive past me.  This thing had spoilers everywhere, it looked ridiculous.  When he rolled by slowly I looked it up and down and smiled, he didn't seem very happy.  Didn't mean to insult him but that thing looked like a ricer done by a 15 year old.  I know it was childish but as soon as he was next to me I floored mine.  I'm sure he appreciated that with his windows down.  I wonder if I drowned out his 6 banger fartcan special.   :D
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Stretch

Quote from: Cooter on November 23, 2011, 12:49:44 AM

Reply: "Black and Decker Aquarium pump...J2"...

Great quote from a great movie!

ODZKing

I've gotten "so you had to replace  much sheet metal" (pointing at fenders). I'll say, no, why?
They'll reply, "oh, you're missing the emblem on the left" (pointing at the Pentastar on the passenger fender).
Which I just reply, "it's a Mopar thing, you wouldn't understand".    :shruggy:

Stretch

Quote from: ODZKing on November 23, 2011, 09:56:48 AM
I've gotten "so you had to replace  much sheet metal" (pointing at fenders). I'll say, no, why?
They'll reply, "oh, you're missing the emblem on the left" (pointing at the Pentastar on the passenger fender).
Which I just reply, "it's a Mopar thing, you wouldn't understand".    :shruggy:

Do you know why Mopar did that?

bull

Quote from: Stretch on November 23, 2011, 11:08:53 AM
I've gotten "so you had to replace  much sheet metal" (pointing at fenders). I'll say, no, why?
Which I just reply, "it's a Mopar thing, you wouldn't understand".    :shruggy:

It gave the GM/Ford guys something to look at and ponder as they were being passed. :D

Or: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Chrysler#Pentastar

Cooter

Quote from: Stretch on November 23, 2011, 11:08:53 AM
I've gotten "so you had to replace  much sheet metal" (pointing at fenders). I'll say, no, why?
Which I just reply, "it's a Mopar thing, you wouldn't understand".    :shruggy:

Most Mopars stay in the Left lane so the GM and Ford guys can see what just blew 'em off the road.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Stretch

I have been told it was because the Chrysler executives of the day wanted the people walking down the sidewalk to know they were looking at a chrysler when it was parked at the curb. I don't know if thats true or not but it sure makes sense if you think about it.

ChargerST

When I was at the inspection station last month there was an old dude (around 70) getting out of his Mercedes E-class. He appeared to be a civil engineer who does car inspections for private parties. When my inspector was almost done with the Charger (everything was alright) this old fart started to tell the inspector that there is almost nothing original on my car and that I changed so many things etc. You have to know that old cars have to be in pretty much original condition or you can't register them. This guy goes on and on and I just asked him that he should show me a single piece that isn't correct. He just said everything... He clearly wanted to get the inspection guy to let me fail the inspection - wtf. that's none of his business! anyways the inspection guy just said the doesn't want to get involved because he didn't know better.

The70RT

I ran into an old friend on Facebook and he pm'ed me and said when you get done with that Mopar you can help restore a real car a 67 Impala.  I said say what? I sold my 57 Belair just to start on the Charger. I told him if I had about 5 more Chevy's to sell I would be done by now.  :laugh:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

HalfastJav

Quote from: TK73 on November 22, 2011, 09:45:19 PM
Yeah, was asked outside a NAPA if mine was a Mach 1.  Hear "Challenger" sometimes.

I'm leaving the badging off, let 'em guess...

Yeah, iv'e heard Camaro? Mustang?......uhhhhhh NO..... and thats with the Badging on.

Theres only like 6 legible badges on the car...... ::)

TK73

A nice Big AMC on the door?

I gots spray paint   :icon_smile_big:
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

67440chrg

At shows and cruises the mature people have only good things to say. I guess the most negative things are the smart a?? kids looking and turning their noses up to it when I am out cruising. Sometimes I feel the need to show them witch end of the car should turn the tires.

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: Stretch on November 23, 2011, 01:30:39 PM
I have been told it was because the Chrysler executives of the day wanted the people walking down the sidewalk to know they were looking at a chrysler when it was parked at the curb. I don't know if thats true or not but it sure makes sense if you think about it.
An artist only signs his or her work of art once.  ;)

Fred

Quote from: ChargerST on November 23, 2011, 02:13:03 PM
When I was at the inspection station last month there was an old dude (around 70) getting out of his Mercedes E-class. He appeared to be a civil engineer who does car inspections for private parties. When my inspector was almost done with the Charger (everything was alright) this old fart started to tell the inspector that there is almost nothing original on my car and that I changed so many things etc. You have to know that old cars have to be in pretty much original condition or you can't register them. This guy goes on and on and I just asked him that he should show me a single piece that isn't correct. He just said everything... He clearly wanted to get the inspection guy to let me fail the inspection - wtf. that's none of his business! anyways the inspection guy just said the doesn't want to get involved because he didn't know better.

Glad to hear all went well for you. What an arse!!!

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

aussiemuscle

Quote from: ChargerST on November 23, 2011, 02:13:03 PM
old guy probably didn't know it was a charger and thought it was a customized Vauxhall or something...  :rofl: I'm glad your inspector didn't buy into and passed you.