News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8 3/4 outer seal leaker

Started by HeavyFuel, November 20, 2011, 12:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

OK....I had my diff rebuilt professionally about four years ago, and it's been sitting on a couple jackstands ever since....with the pinion hanging down.  I noticed a little leaking going on, which I suppose is normal, but there seems to be a pretty good amount coming from the white outer seal (see arrow).

Isn't that seal supposed to be a 'dust' seal, with no lub on the inner side?  Could the rear lube have been forced past the inner seal because of the way that I had it hanging, involving the vent?  Or maybe lack of a "break in" period, after re-build?  Is there such a thing?

RallyeMike

If its leaking "a pretty good amount", I would suspect that the inner seal that keeps the 90wt separated from the bearing grease is where the problem is. The bearing grease should be thick enough just sitting there that it isnt going to be moving anywhere.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

A383Wing

agree...inner seal issue....yer gonna have to change out seal, and get the 90w from the bearing and repack it with grease as best as possible while bearing is still on axle....you will destroy the bearing if you try and remove it to pack it

HeavyFuel

Any idea what would cause the seal problem?  I mean, the the thing has never been run since the rebuild.  :shruggy:

Doesn't give me alot of faith in the shop that I took it to, which really isn't a big surprise.  Seems like it's getting harder and harder to get quality work done anywhere.

A383Wing

wrong seal, or poor installation....they are not that hard to screw up when installing..I have done it many times

Bryan

HeavyFuel

I just took another look at the residue on the white dust seal......it probably amounts to a few drops over the last four years.  Is that excessive?  Should there be NOTHING getting past the inner seal?  It is amber in color and smells like 90 weight.

A383Wing

if you have 90w coming pout...the bearing grease is already diluted .....

seal could have gone dry from sitting, or been damaged by axle install

I got my dad's Pontiac after it sat in his garage for 14 years and was never driven...after I started driving it, all engine seals started leaking...had to replace them all.....at 55,000 miles

Bryan