News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

11" x 3" rear brakes

Started by greymag, November 28, 2011, 11:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greymag

I am trying to set up my 8 3/4 axle with a set of 3" x 11" rear brakes. The setup is probably the police hd setup or hemi setup. I am looking for part #s or source for shoes. The only listing I see for these is for 11" x 3" fronts for Imps. Is anybody working with these?

maxwellwedge

I think most B-Body 11" rears were 2-1/2". Fronts were 3"   :scratchchin:

bull

It would probably cost a lot more but if you're really looking for an upgrade to the rear axle there's always the disc brake kits. IMO the cost to benefit ratio would be negligible either way. If you've got disc brakes in the front, swapping from 10" to 11" drums or even discs in the rear won't improve much.

hemi71x

If you want to put 3 inch rear brakes on your car, you will also be needing the correct backing plates for the 3 inch shoes.
Then your also going to be needing 11 x 3 inch brake drums.
Do you have those parts?
I can sell you these backing plates that i took off a 69 Imperial.
To my knowledge, the only cars that had 3 inchers on the rear, were some of the big, full size C body cars, Imperials, and some trucks and vans, during that era.

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany

Chatt69chgr

The 69 New Yorker I dismantled had 2-1/2 inch by 11 inch rear drum brakes. 

maxwellwedge

Looks like 3" were optional on the "big" cars

John_Kunkel

The Bendix number for the 3" shoes is 336, same front/back; Rock Auto and Summit have them.

The 3" backing plate has more inward wrap than the 2 1/2" so they're needed with the wider shoes.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

69rtse4spd

I had a set of shoes relined, look like brand new.

greymag

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 28, 2011, 05:44:51 PM
Looks like 3" were optional on the "big" cars
Great chart-just what I was looking for! Believe it or not, I got this set from a B Body axle, complete with finned drums. It is possible that this was swapped on by some previous owner, that is why I had so much trouble finding a parts # reference. After further thought though, I may stick with a smaller 2 1/2" setup. I am concerned it will throw the brake bias off too much. I don't want to put in a different proportioning valve. Thanks for all the good input.

Aero426

Those 3" rear shoes were used in NASCAR at that time. 

lisiecki1

I'm not sure of the width on mine, but they are 11" diameter and the axle came out of a 74 coronet station wagon.  The axle was a direct bolt in.  Maybe that will help you order parts.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html