News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger -68 440 engine identification

Started by Voss, November 28, 2011, 09:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voss

Hi,

Would be valuable to get some feedback about the stampings shown below. It's from a -68 Charger R/T said to be matching numbers.

According to the fender tag the car is assembled May 03 (503 on the fender tag). When checking the engine stampings I can find the partial VIN on the bellhousing flange (which matches), but no stamping on the block. I would assume late -68's which were stamped has the stamping on block/trans, not only on the trans. Moreover, the stamping on the machined pad looks strange. To me it looks like a "B" (-66) which might be tampered to look like a "D" (-68). That would also explain why the block is not stamped with the partial VIN (-66 was not stamped).

Further, the casting date code on the intake might be -66, but I'm not sure on that, the last "6" might be "8". If it's an "8" I guess the intake would anyhow not be matching since the casting date (6/10/68) on this part should preceed the engine assembly date (3/29 from the machined pad) which in turn should preceed the car assembly date (503 on the fender tag which is May 03).

What do you guys here say? Walk away?

maxwellwedge

What's the casting date on the side of the block?

Voss

When discussing this with a friend he directly told me the "D" is a "C" which is altered to resemble a "D". Looking real close I think he's right. I first thought it was a "B" but I have to agree with him... Also the -66 casting date on the intake points in the direction that the engine is a -67...

Don't know about the block casting date yet, will try to figure it out.

Troy

Walk away? As far as I know, if the VIN is on the transmission bell housing then it should be on the engine. I can't imagine them stamping one without the other. The stampings on the pad have obviously been tampered with. The engine casting date will help verify that. Obviously it would need to preceed the assembly date (a week or so at least to several months). The intake could have been swapped at any time so I wouldn't count on that to be of any real value. There are also part numbers and date codes stamped onto the side of the transmission. If you can pull a valve cover the head castings can also help. A 67 engine should have 915 at the end of the casting numbers where a 68 will have 906 (or possibly 213). As with the intake, these could be easily swapped as well.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Voss

I don't have access to the car so I have to ask the seller. But I'm dissapointed about the missing stamp on the block, along with the tampered pad. The more I look at the pics, it is obviously a "C" from the beginning... I'll see what I can get from the seller in terms of block casting date and head part numbers/dates. Besides this, the car seems solid.

Quote from: Troy on November 28, 2011, 11:53:32 AM
Walk away? As far as I know, if the VIN is on the transmission bell housing then it should be on the engine. I can't imagine them stamping one without the other. The stampings on the pad have obviously been tampered with. The engine casting date will help verify that. Obviously it would need to preceed the assembly date (a week or so at least to several months). The intake could have been swapped at any time so I wouldn't count on that to be of any real value. There are also part numbers and date codes stamped onto the side of the transmission. If you can pull a valve cover the head castings can also help. A 67 engine should have 915 at the end of the casting numbers where a 68 will have 906 (or possibly 213). As with the intake, these could be easily swapped as well.

Troy