News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

another kickdown question

Started by AZMoparboy, November 11, 2011, 12:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZMoparboy

Hi Guys, I've done lots of reading here about all of the kickdown problems. I don't think I've got a problem, its just that I would like to have my kickdown function if it is possible. I've installed a level 1 transgo shift kit and its preforming just as it is designed to. Can I adjust the line pressure so that I can have back the kickdown function or is this the only way that the level 1 kit will operate? I've adjusted the PR adjustment screw until the spring seat is just flush against the inside edge of the spring retainer just as it describes in the instructions. If I were to adjust it to the perscribed dimension to normal configuration, will it give me back the kickdown function? Hope someone can enlighten me.

Steve

John_Kunkel

Did it kickdown prior to the installation of the kit? Stock carb or aftermarket?

The linkage adjustment is most likely the cause of no kickdown, adjust the linkage so that the transmission lever is further back at WOT.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

AZMoparboy

Hi John, I am attaching a pic so you can see just what I have on my 440. The car didn't have a carb or kickdown setup on it when I bought it, its all new. I'm getting full travel on the throttle arm at the trany. Hope this helps you understand just what I have.

John_Kunkel

Checking the lever travel from under the hood will sometimes fool you. Have someone sit in the car and hold the throttle on the floor, then push rearward on the slotted linkage rod...it it travels more than 1/8" it needs adjustment.

Depending on the axle ratio and the governor, the WOT kickdown is deactivated at a certain road speed...typically around 60 mph. If it won't kickdown at WOT at 40 mph or so there is a problem.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

AZMoparboy

Hi John, I'll get under the car this weekend and make sure that everything is as it should be, thanks for all of your input.

Steve

AZMoparboy

Hi John, I broke down and called Transgo tech service to see if they had any ideas as to what might be up with my no kickdown. They pointed me towards the throttle spool and see if everything was assembled correctly and adjusted as well. I hate working under a car with all that oil running down my arm :eek2: With the valve body on the bench I disassembled the throttle spool but every thing was right. While I was at it I checked the line pressure adjustment too. Reassembled the throttle spool, then checked that adjustment as well, it was off just a little. Its all back together now and in the A.M. I will fill the trany up, readjust the kickdown linkage and see if this will help it out, wish me luck.

Steve

AZMoparboy

Hi John and All, I have success. This morning I filled up the trany with oil, made sure that the kickdown linkage was adjusted correctly and then took the car for a drive. It now shifts slower and I have kickdown at about 50 miles an hour, where before there was no kickdown, and now I'm a happy boy :yesnod:. Thanks again for all of the help.

Steve Porter, Chandler AZ