News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1981 dodge mirada cmx interesting car

Started by BB1, November 17, 2011, 09:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB1

Ok, I never heard of this car, or it never peaked my intrest but it has potential as a lightweight drag racer.

http://www.allpar.com/model/mirada.html

Here is a craigslist example

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/2705324316.html

http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-02-15/bay-area/17187810_1_fender-gas-station-red-tape

"Everybody knows about the Monte Carlo, Thunderbird and even the Cordoba, but this car was at the bottom of that list. I drive a 1981 Dodge Mirada CMX, the successor to the Magnum/Charger. It was only built from 1980 to 1983 - and not many were seen on the road even back then."

So a cool rwd orphan 80's MoPar, allpar said Dodge sold 52,947* Miradas, don't know how many are left.

Who knows more? Pics anyone?
Delete my profile

ODZKing

I owned a 1980 Mirada.  It was a great car, comfortable, fairly quick even with a dummed down 318, because it was smaller and lighter. 
If it weren't for that awful Lean Burn I'd still have it, providing it didn't rust away.  Didn't keep it long enough for that.

BB1

It would be neat to drop a new Hemi under the hood.  :coolgleamA:

Would like to find one and make a sleeper; wonder how heavy it is?
Delete my profile

71charger_fan

There was an '80, V8, non-A/C, bucket seat Mirada in the showroom at the Mopar dealer in Ellsworth, ME back when they were new. I really wanted that car. I think I had $9 in the bank at the time. It didn't happen. The Dodge dealer GM where I bought my Shelby Charger in '83 drove a beautiful dark grey Mirada. I loved that car.

ODZKing

As I recall ... my 73 Charger was 3540 on the registration.
The Mirada was around 3200 ... something like that.

BB1

Wow  :o Do the math with a 450Hp engine  :scratchchin:

It has to share parts with the older Magnums/Cordoba, looks like Chrysler last gasp before they went fwd.

:scope:

Quote from: ODZKing on November 17, 2011, 10:30:44 AM
As I recall ... my 73 Charger was 3540 on the registration.
The Mirada was around 3200 ... something like that.
Delete my profile

ODZKing

I had a friend with a 83 Cordoba 300 (similar to this) it was nice.  400 in that flew, for the time anyway.

Ponch ®

My local Dodge dealer has a Mirada out in the back, covered in muck/dirt and all four tires flat. I can see it through the fence from the car wash that's next door. Maybe next time I swing by for an oil change I should ask about it. Doesnt look like it's a cash for clunkers car...besides, it would have been long gone to the crusher by now.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

41husk

I think they were advertised as sport luxury :shruggy:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

TK73

Would be different.

See some around at shows, they can look semi-cool.  :coolgleamA:

Earlier F-bodies should be lighter...  :shruggy:
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

WS23U1A

My daily driver is an '81 Mirada CMX. I bought it 5 years ago. The guy I bought it from said it had been owned by two different Chrysler executives. I don't know if any of that's true, but I can tell you it was a 14,000 mile survivor when I bought it. It now has about 25,000 on it. I switched out the lean burn system on the 318 for electronic ignition & a pre-lean burn 2-barrel carb. It gets 23 mpg on the interstate with the air conditioning on. I love it!

I've owned several Mirada's over the years & have had 1-2 at all times since I was 18 in 1990. As the last 2 door rear wheel drive V8 car's ('80-'83), they make great driver's & hot rods. Weight wise, they're between an A-body & B-body.

The driver Mirada I had before this one was a beater, but I'd built a mild 318 with a 4-barrel & put in an 8 3/4" rear end with 3.73 gears. The little bastard would smoke the tires on demand. No sissy power braking. It was fun, but I couldn't take the t-top leaks anymore & sold it.

Anyway, next to '71 Charger's, Mirada's are my second fav. I think its great that some guy's here like them. They're sharp little car's that most people have never even heard of.
'71 Charger R/T - 1 of 332 - 440 MAGNUM - Ramcharger Hood - 4-Speed - AM/Cassette Player w/Michrophone - 3.54 Dana 60 - Rear Spoiler - FE5 Bright Red - White Buckets w/Console - Black Vinyl Top

BB1

Nice story, thanks for sharing.

What does cmx stand for?
Delete my profile

WS23U1A

Unfortunately, CMX doesn't actually stand for anything. It's a higher trim level which was available in all years 80-83. On the 81-83 models it included the simulated convertible roof.
'71 Charger R/T - 1 of 332 - 440 MAGNUM - Ramcharger Hood - 4-Speed - AM/Cassette Player w/Michrophone - 3.54 Dana 60 - Rear Spoiler - FE5 Bright Red - White Buckets w/Console - Black Vinyl Top

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

PA Dodger

I'm surprised noone mentioned Mopar Muscle's 440 Mirada project from a few years ago.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/featuredvehicles/f_m_j_body/mopp_0510_1980_dodge_mirada_440/photo_05.html

Somewhere around here I have a picture of a Mirada convertible. No, I'm not talking about the faux convertible top. It was a conversion done for Chrysler by a different company. Wish I could track one down. It looks pretty good.
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

BB1

Quote from: PA Dodger on November 20, 2011, 12:19:06 AM
I'm surprised noone mentioned Mopar Muscle's 440 Mirada project from a few years ago.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/featuredvehicles/f_m_j_body/mopp_0510_1980_dodge_mirada_440/photo_05.html

Somewhere around here I have a picture of a Mirada convertible. No, I'm not talking about the faux convertible top. It was a conversion done for Chrysler by a different company. Wish I could track one down. It looks pretty good.

OMG yes, thanks
Delete my profile

Ghoste

I've always liked the Mirada.  Somewhere around here I have a photo of the Mirada concept car, I'll have to try and find it.

Charger-Bodie

I always like that body style. Mirada , Cordoba, 300. I think they used a smilar design for the gawd awful impirial with the slant back too. That one i did not like at all.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on November 20, 2011, 07:55:24 PM
I always like that body style. Mirada , Cordoba, 300. I think they used a smilar design for the gawd awful impirial with the slant back too. That one i did not like at all.

I agree. Oh and that 81 Imperial?  :eek2:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/81-Chrysler-Imperial-/270854164051?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f102a8e53

stripedelete

I really liked the Mirada.  With a 360 they would get up and go, but even with a 318 they weren't to bad for the day. 

It was kinda a victum of circumstance.  Had they just put a bow-tie on it, they probably would have sold 10 times as many.   

HPP

While the F, J, and M platforms would be lighter than an equivilent B body of the era, if they existed, they are by no means lightweights. The F body is the smallest of the bunch, yet every one I've owned was easily more than 3500#.

WS23U1A

Here's some pictures of one of the Mirada's from my past. The first one actually. I sold it in '95 to pay for the body & paint work on my '71 R/T.