News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

degreeing a cam

Started by willy, November 16, 2011, 07:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Measuring the cam's lift won't tell the whole story because duration and lobe seperation are what determine the basic characteristics. I wouldn't worry about that for now.  ;)

With a 100 rpm increase in idle speed you should see an increase in manifold vacuum....hopefully enough to firm up the brakes to your satisfaction.  :scratchchin:

If not there's allways the option of a vacuum reservoir : http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1464/

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

b5blue

I used one when I had the lumpy 509 cam, it works for one or two pumps of the brake when you'll need it most.  :2thumbs:

willy

Ron, I had to set my idle up to 1150 rpm's in park to get 850 rpm's in drive. with the increase in rpm's in park my base timing went up to 23 degrees.   
        With it in drive and the rpm's at 850 my vacuum was 14". I couldn't drive it because it is raining but the brakes seemed better and I have 19" of vacuum in park at 1150 rpm's. I can use the vacuum canister under my battery that is there for my headlight doors but it may end up looking like a plumbers nightmare and not very stock looking. With only 14" of vacuum it looks like my best bet is to put a milder cam in it unless degreeing this one different will get me more vacuum. What do you think?
Thanks,
Willy

firefighter3931

Quote from: willy on November 22, 2011, 05:11:37 PM

What do you think?

Overall are you happy with the car's performance other than the brakes. Does it idle nice and accelerate well ? If the only real issue is the brakes i would try the reservoir first before opening up the motor.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

willy

Ron, I haven't been able to test drive it yet but I will do so before tearing into it. Thanks for all your help and i will post an update after my test drive.
Thanks again
Willy