News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what's a nice driver quality 69 grill cost ???????????

Started by skip68, November 17, 2011, 07:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

I'm looking at a 69 Charger.  Car is basically complete & solid minus the grill.  What would I expect to pay for one that was driver quality?  ???
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

mpdlawdog

The whole grill?  I have been looking for a while...for just the center piece for my 68 without much luck.  I saw a nice 69 go for a $1200. It was complete.  Just have to keep your eyes open.
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

jaak

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on November 17, 2011, 08:41:10 PM
I'd say $1000-$1300.

I'd say this is ball-park. But I have seen some decent restorable ones on CL ranging from 500-800. I remembering selling a decent one that had one crack back about 12 years ago for $150, wish I had  it back now for a spare.

Jason

gtx6970

There were a couple nice looking done grilles at the Indy show in Sept for about $1500-$1600 range for a 1969

69charger2002

yeah you definitely won't find one not needing repair for under $1000 unless you get lucky. Mint or restored ones can fetch up to $2000. those days would have ended long ago if that company premier or whatever had just been honest and kept reproducing. never did get my "mold" perfect 68 grill back that i lent them....  :flame:
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

skip68

I was hoping I'd get one under 1k.  I saw one a member has listed here for $1600 shipped.   Seems like that's an OK deal then.  Sorry to hear about your grill Travis.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

model maker

Why doesn't someone just start making them, how hard could it be tp produce them ? is it licensing issues or what ???
MODEL MAKER

71charger

I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of bubble gum.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dino

While you're looking, also keep in mind that you might want to buy that busted grille for a few hundred you may come across to keep for parts.  I have a complete spare grill that's missing one half of the center section and has a busted I piece.  I do intend to either keep it as is to fix my current grille should a deer jump in front of me or I may end up restoring it to do a quick swap should this one get really busted up.

These grilles have always been pretty expensive and it likely won't get any better.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

Quote from: model maker on November 18, 2011, 03:04:58 PM
Why doesn't someone just start making them, how hard could it be tp produce them ? is it licensing issues or what ???

Someone did. Everybody only bitched about the price after the final product was out. Why don't you give it a whirl and see if we can get brand new plastic grilles for under $500.00.....

All kidding aside, repopping parts is EXPENSIVE to say the least. Nobody is willing to buy unless they can get it at "China" prices.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

model maker

I still don't understand why these companies can reproduce fenders, tail light panels and all the other parts for the charger, why don't they make the grilles ? I mean if you have a
69 charger and it has a nice grille, and then some dim wit who doesn't care  parks too close to you and somehow caves in your grille, after he  wakes up on the ground he says i guess i have to pay for it, what do you say ? they cannot be found or if so, they cost a couple thousand bucks which both he & his insurance co. ( if he HAS insurance) will scoff at that. To protect your grille, you would have to put a grille guard on it. it will protect it but takes away the clean look of the grille. I bet you guys with the 69's really watch your grilles very closely. If they were easy to get you could relax a little more, so again my question, WHY DOESN'T THE COMPANIES WHO SELL CHARGER PARTS START MAKING THE GRILLES ????
MODEL MAKER

model maker

i WISH THE GRILLES WOULD BECOME AVAILABLE soory for caps wasn't payint attention. there are a lot of charger owners in need of grilles, those are the first damaged when they take their cars out by idiots who don't have anything nice themselves so have no respect for those who do.
MODEL MAKER

Lennard

Are you actually reading replies or are you just posting?

Daytona R/T SE

Theres a guy from Missouri I see at swapmeets selling restored grills for $1100 or $1200.

I think his name was Gene Sanders?

I might be wrong on the name :shruggy:

bull

Quote from: Cooter on November 19, 2011, 02:39:29 PM
Quote from: model maker on November 18, 2011, 03:04:58 PM

Someone did. Everybody only bitched about the price after the final product was out. Why don't you give it a whirl and see if we can get brand new plastic grilles for under $500.00.....

All kidding aside, repopping parts is EXPENSIVE to say the least. Nobody is willing to buy unless they can get it at "China" prices.

That's "sorta" the story based on what he said initially. When the guy first made the mold he claimed that he had used a much less expensive process than injection molding so the parts would also be much cheaper than an injection molded grill would be. Many, including myself, did not believe such a thing could be done while producing a quality part. Those who got burned by PP were the most suspicious because the parts they produced were junk. We'll never know because this latest process has never been revealed but it seems to have worked fine.

As things progressed his price somehow crept up to what most imagined an injection molded part would have cost (close to $1,000 for a 69 center piece before shipping now on Ebay) even though he never used the standard injection molding process. Now, for whatever reason, this process he claimed was cheap and easy will no longer be used, the parts run is finished and the grills are no longer being made.

It's difficult to trust people when you're told one thing and then end up getting a different result. Although in his defense I think he somehow got mixed up with some greedy investors who only saw $$$ and cared little about what I believe was this guy's initial desire to help the hobby. I agree a guy has got to make money, at least break even, but I can't help but think someone made a serious killing on this venture. Maybe not the guy who created the idea but perhaps some others who jumped on the bandwagon.

jb666

Chuckie... I saw one locally sell for $1500 ,and it wasn't mint.

If you'll remember, mine was in 30 pcs when it came out of the car.. It's factory restored and 100% perfect now, but cost me $1k to get it that way...

bull

Smokin' deals come around every once in a great while. I got this parts lot for $375 back in '06.

skip68

Mike DC

The 2005 "Dukes of Hazzard" movie crew had some fiberglass grilles made.  They had the air inlet slats blocked off flat so the part could be molded feasibly.

If we were desperate then we could be using fiberglass molds of the silver areas + some generic grating material for the air inlet area.  It would not look factory perfect but it would produce a functioning car.  

F8-4life

The longer you can wait it out the better the deal. Time and patience are key I found a pair of complete '69 Charger grills at about $250 each and got em both. Clean grills too been in storage. Damn good day.