News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much lead for quarters?

Started by richRTSE, November 03, 2011, 10:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richRTSE

Anyone know about how many pounds of lead/solder are needed to "lead" in a pair of quarter panels (69 charger)? Thinking of getting eastwoods leadfree kit, just wondering which size kit to get. Does anyone besides Eastwood sell the leadfree solder?

Thanks, Rich

Dino

Just out of curiosity, why lead?  I know it's old school, I used it myself many years ago but they now have metal fillers that are much much stronger than lead.
Never knew there was leadfree...dang the stuff I inhaled back then... :eek2:

In any case, the stuff I used was something like 12-14" sticks and one would be enough for both sides assuming you're talking about the quarter to roof seam.

Nowadays I'd simply cut a few inches above and under that nasty messed up seam and weld in a nice solid piece of shaped metal so everything's flush as it should be. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

richRTSE

Dino, yes the quarter to roof seam. I know there are lots of new/good products, but I done a lot of reading and it seems that the quarter to roof seam is more prone to telegraphing than other areas on the car. Alot of guys swear that anything other than lead with show up later.

Another option I've thought about is welding in a piece of metal to bridge the seam and eliminate the need for filler...seen a few guys do that.

Car was originally a vinyl roof car without leaded seams. I'll be replacing both quarters, and car will NOT have a vinyl roof.

I'm open for suggestions though...

Dino

Quote from: richRTSE on November 03, 2011, 12:26:32 PM
Dino, yes the quarter to roof seam. I know there are lots of new/good products, but I done a lot of reading and it seems that the quarter to roof seam is more prone to telegraphing than other areas on the car. Alot of guys swear that anything other than lead with show up later.

Another option I've thought about is welding in a piece of metal to bridge the seam and eliminate the need for filler...seen a few guys do that.

Car was originally a vinyl roof car without leaded seams. I'll be replacing both quarters, and car will NOT have a vinyl roof.

Welding a piece to bridge is exactly what I would do, but don't weld it over the seam, cut the existing seam out so you have a rectangular hole in there.  When all is done it will be one solid piece and it doesn't get any better than that.

If you use lead or filler the one thing you always need to do is weld the seam shut.  When you don't it will move and that's what all the fillers crack.  Lead is more forgiving in that aspect but you'd still need to weld the seam.  It's a horrible piece of engineering on Chrysler's part.

Either way I would get the welder out and you'll be good to go.

Patronus

I think its mainly the temp difference that causes the telegraph issues. I liked learning the lead, opened lots of other fun projects. I bought
that mid-ranged kit from Eastwood w/files and it was just enough to finish both seams.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Silver R/T

Quote from: richRTSE on November 03, 2011, 12:26:32 PM

It was vinyl top car and DID NOT have lead there? What was there?
Btw good choice on getting rid of vinyl. It has ruined a lot of roofs.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

richRTSE

Thanks Patronus.  :2thumbs:

QuoteIt was vinyl top car and DID NOT have lead there? What was there?
Btw good choice on getting rid of vinyl. It has ruined a lot of roofs.

It had some kind of filler in there, but not lead. I believe most vinyl top cars didn't have the seams leaded. Car was a '70 Charger 500 that I've had for 16 yrs, now being cloned into a 69 Charger 500, so no vinyl roof.  ;D

richRTSE

Dino, this is kinda what I was thinking...(borrowed from a thread on Moparts)

FLG

That would work but you would need to TIG it, if you use a MIG the difference in metal expansion when things warm up will cause telegraphing.

Patronus

I wish I would have just used lead.. :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Dino

Rich that's exactly the way to go!  Do it right and you won't need any filler.

Agreed on the tig if you have access to one but it can be done with a mig as long as you take precautions and your time.  It's real easy to warp the metal so beware.

Brock Lee

I used metal to metal filler on my seams 8 years ago. It hasn't changed at all. It spent 2 of those years not garaged outside.

BlueSS454

If it's done properly, it's perfectly acceptable to use a fiberglass filler of a plastic filler.  I've never had a failure in that area.
Tom Rightler