News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

vin stampings

Started by charger01, November 03, 2011, 12:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

472 R/T SE

Quote from: bakerhillpins on November 12, 2011, 06:29:57 PM
So if the VIN on the block isn't the complete VIN but rather starts at (say in 69) the Engine id how can you be sure that there are not 2 engines with the same #s?

I.e. the stamping is Engine/Year/Plant/Sequence

So are we guaranteed that in a given year that 2 different cars from the same plant didn't get the same sequence number?  Since plants made more than one model were they given different ranges for sequence number?

I've often wondered about that.  The only difference would be the plant designation letter.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: bakerhillpins on November 12, 2011, 06:29:57 PM
So are we guaranteed that in a given year that 2 different cars from the same plant didn't get the same sequence number? Yes.

Since plants made more than one model were they given different ranges for sequence number?No. All models from one plant fell under one numbering system. Therefore there can be only one 9AXXXXXX, one 9GXXXXXX, etc

Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on November 12, 2011, 09:28:34 PM
Since plants made more than one model were they given different ranges for sequence number?No. All models from one plant fell under one numbering system. Therefore there can be only one 9AXXXXXX, one 9GXXXXXX, etc

Sorry, I am still confused.   :scratchchin:  So you are saying that 2 different models produced from the same plant had different sequence ranges.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

maxwellwedge

9A100001

9G100001

9H100001

All different when you factor the plant code letter in.

John_Kunkel

Some are thinking that each model got it's own numbering sequence but at a plant that built both Dodge and Plymouth B-bodies 9G101555 could be a Belvedere and right behind it could be a Coronet 9G101556.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: bakerhillpins on November 13, 2011, 11:40:12 AM
Sorry, I am still confused.   :scratchchin:  So you are saying that 2 different models produced from the same plant had different sequence ranges.

No. One range for each plant.

(with the exception of Hamtramck build 64 and 65 Valiants and Darts but I wanted to give the most typical secenario).
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

472 R/T SE

Not that it mattered, but there was no way to keep this from happening correct.

UOG234567

UOB234567

UOE234567

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on November 14, 2011, 01:31:46 AM
Not that it mattered, but there was no way to keep this from happening correct.

UOG234567

UOB234567

UOE234567

weelll....not that particular example because LA VINs didn't go that high but yes, it was possible. It would be incredibly coincidental but theoretically possible that two of the same models from different plants could end in the same last six digits.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: John_Kunkel on November 13, 2011, 04:56:04 PM

Some are thinking that each model got it's own numbering sequence but at a plant that built both Dodge and Plymouth B-bodies 9G101555 could be a Belvedere and right behind it could be a Coronet 9G101556.

Thanks! that cleared it up.  :cheers:   For some reason I always thought that to be the case -> that production of a specific vehicle would be sequential when you looked at the sequence #s. Not that different makes and models were intermixed.

So there is no way to tell production #s through basic subtraction of first to last. 
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

69CoronetRT

Quote from: bakerhillpins on November 14, 2011, 08:43:36 AM

So there is no way to tell production #s through basic subtraction of first to last. 

Correct.

And just to be clear, the VIN sequence number does not mean the cars went down the line sequentially.

Assigning a VIN is an administrative function not a production function.

VINs were assigned to a block of cars before they went down the line. The actual order of production didn't matter. In fact they were mixed up by make and model to keep parts in stock. Car number 100 could have been built before car number 1.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on November 14, 2011, 07:23:02 PM
VINs were assigned to a block of cars before they went down the line. The actual order of production didn't matter. In fact they were mixed up by make and model to keep parts in stock. Car number 100 could have been built before car number 1.

Its the first part where I was thinking they had a set production # and just created a (singular) sequential block for the model. Learn something new every day.  :cheers:

The second part where they mixed them up based upon parts in stock makes sense from a production point of view.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire