News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question about Crane Gold roller rockers

Started by RECHRGD, November 11, 2011, 12:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

When I re-did the top end of the 440 a few years ago I used the above mentioned rocker arms.  They came with the spring type spacers (see picture).  That always seemed a little iffy to me, but I've had no problems to date.  Just wondering if it would be worthwhile to go to some sort of solid spacer or am I just inventing a problem.   Thanks, Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Challenger340

YES !
Most Definately, get spacers !

Crane Golds are a surprisingly decent Rocker with spacers, or were anyways, dunno their status these days ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

RECHRGD

Quote from: Challenger340 on November 11, 2011, 12:51:08 PM
YES !
Most Definately, get spacers !

Crane Golds are a surprisingly decent Rocker with spacers, or were anyways, dunno their status these days ?

Thanks !  Any suggestions on what to use?
13.53 @ 105.32

MSRacing89

http://store.440source.com/Rockers-Arms-Shafts-Misc-Hardware/products/50/

I run Crane Golds and use the 440 source billet hold downs.  I still run the springs in between and we turn it pretty hard.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

RECHRGD

Quote from: MSRacing89 on November 11, 2011, 01:31:53 PM

I run Crane Golds and use the 440 source billet hold downs.  I still run the springs in between and we turn it pretty hard.

Thanks for the link !  :2thumbs:  I wonder if the spacers they sell will work with the Crane Golds?  Those hold downs look nice...
13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

Quote from: MSRacing89 on November 11, 2011, 01:31:53 PM

I've ran the ductile iron Cranes in the past on a few builds and used the springs and stock hold downs....no problems.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

chargerbr549

I ran the Crane Golds on my 440 with the their spring spacer setup and it ran for years that way with no problems but when I built  the 512 for my Charger I replaced the springs with spacers that I made, I guess maybe for just some peace of mind type thing.

kevin

BSB67

Although the springs have been around forever and used by several rocker suppliers, they do seem a little cheesy, but have never heard of a problem with them.  I prefer to not have the constant side load between the spring, rocker, and hold down.  Use a shim between each of those points.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

elacruze

Hughes rockers come with hard spacers which I'm sure they sell separately and I used their billet hold-downs as well. The spacers are awesome, but the hold-downs required machining because they were too wide which cost me another $50. In the end, that made them a perfect fit and I'm well-pleased with everything.

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

RECHRGD

Quote from: elacruze on November 12, 2011, 09:25:54 AM
Hughes rockers come with hard spacers which I'm sure they sell separately and I used their billet hold-downs as well. The spacers are awesome, but the hold-downs required machining because they were too wide which cost me another $50. In the end, that made them a perfect fit and I'm well-pleased with everything.

Good looking setup !!!!
13.53 @ 105.32

Musicman

I have the same 1.6 setup on mine, but never had an issue with the hold downs.  :scratchchin:

:cheers:

Challenger340

The Spacers and better hold downs on the Crane Golds, in my experience anyways, is just always a good idea when using Spring Rates above 350#, with over the Nose going above 300# and seat above 120#, which pretty much covers the majority of performance Cams these days ?
Anytime there is a Rocker offset, even on the .465" stuff for INDY SR/EZ,Eddy, etc., etc., there will be pressures sideways, according to the resistance of the Springs the Rocker is working against ? Which can contribute to Valvetrain stability issues.
Why leave it to a small spring ?
Why NOT limit potential sideways Rocker travel with a spacer ?

That said,
YES, they will work with the Springs on the lower offset Rockers, lotsa guys seem to do it with no problems ? but I personally just don't chance it anymore, because,
I have experienced problems in the past on the Dyno with upper RPM breakdown in the power curve, that I was able to cure by removing the Springs and installing Solid Spacers, telling me anyways, there WAS some lack of valvetrain/Rocker stability present ?

If you do buy spacers,
make sure to "fit" them, so there is .010" to .015" clearance on the Rockers in pairs between the Bolts.

I also am a firm believer in the Spacers as a benefit when using the Crane Golds, because, I have seen them LIVE in a Roller Cam Environment, at 275# Seat pressures and OVER 600# at lift using spacers, for plus 500 runs at the Drag Strip, with NO PROBLEMS !
NOT,
that I am saying the Crane Gold Rocker is OK for that Environment, and should be used...
I am not...
there are far better Rocker Systems out there for that ?
Just that I cannot argue with some Guys who do, and the Golds work fine for them on a 500 run replacement program being well priced ?

Some pretty comical "dumb stares" have ensued in the Pits, when an 8 second Car removes his Valve Covers to check Valve Lash, and people watching see "Crane Golds" staring back ?  

Only wimps wear Bowties !

RECHRGD

Good info guys!  My rockers are 1.5's, but my cam lift is 526/526 so I guess this might be a worthwhile little winter project to add to the list.  Do you know if the Hughes rockers are the same width as the Cranes so that the spacers would work?
13.53 @ 105.32

Chryco Psycho

I had a set machined to spec for a build a while back , as long as the sapcers are too long you can mill them down

elacruze

Quote from: RECHRGD on November 12, 2011, 01:27:24 PM
Good info guys!  My rockers are 1.5's, but my cam lift is 526/526 so I guess this might be a worthwhile little winter project to add to the list.  Do you know if the Hughes rockers are the same width as the Cranes so that the spacers would work?

don't know, but if you have a competent machinist (with a magnetic surface grinder preferably) it's not much $$ to shorten and center them.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.