News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dyeing dashpad

Started by randy73, November 10, 2011, 03:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

How hard is it to dye the vinyl on the dashpad?

bobfist

www.bobfist.com
Muscle Car Restorations & Reproduction
Sweden

randy73

Where do I pickup the right color dye?

bobfist

The other members in the forum can help you out with that, I'm In Sweden so you have to ask those who lives in the US :)
Don't know where you can buy  the SEM there.

Sorry
www.bobfist.com
Muscle Car Restorations & Reproduction
Sweden

randy73

Sure, go ahead and get my hopes up and then dash them. You are cruel, I think you might even have hurt my last feeling.

gtx6970

Sems makes a vinyl dye in a spray can that works pretty good.

biggest thing to remember is clean clean clean

bobs66440

I got mine from Herb's Parts and it worked great! Great color match too.

http://www.herbsparts.com/

bill440rt

Yes, SEM makes a good dye in a rattle can, called Color Coat. You'll need to clean the pad VERY well. You'll also have to get a can of their Vinyl Prep. Follow the directions on the can. Spray it on the pad, let it sit for 20 seconds or so, the wipe dry. It softens up the vinyl just a bit to allow the dye to adhere better.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

jaak

Quote from: bill440rt on November 11, 2011, 10:34:46 PM
Yes, SEM makes a good dye in a rattle can, called Color Coat. You'll need to clean the pad VERY well. You'll also have to get a can of their Vinyl Prep. Follow the directions on the can. Spray it on the pad, let it sit for 20 seconds or so, the wipe dry. It softens up the vinyl just a bit to allow the dye to adhere better.
:iagree: About 10 years ago, I used to recondition/detail cars for a local car lot for re-sale, I always used SEM products with excellent results.

Jason

Calif240

Check out this site. I've used their black for my dash pads, arm rests, visors, and a few other parts. It's easy to use and looks great. Be sure to use a lint-free cloth or similar applicator. They have several different kits and products. You'll have to be careful with the colors other than Black, as I'm not sure how close the color-match is.

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/

Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

jb666

Quote from: bill440rt on November 11, 2011, 10:34:46 PM

I was just about to post on this subject. Good info , thanks for posting  :cheers:

johnnycharger

Hey guys
the dash die jobs look great but I wonder how long they last sitting in the sun? Essentially is just spray paint made for vinyl, correct?  Also how well does it hold up on the seats the rubbing of getting in and out?

Back N Black

Quote from: johnnycharger on December 02, 2011, 10:18:15 PM
Hey guys
the dash die jobs look great but I wonder how long they last sitting in the sun? Essentially is just spray paint made for vinyl, correct?  Also how well does it hold up on the seats the rubbing of getting in and out?

I did my seats from white to black, that was 4 years ago. Still as good as the day i sprayed the seats.

Ghoste

I had an armrest in another car that was dyed from black to white and it held up for as long as I owned the car, about 7 years.  It was the drivers side too so I figure that was pretty good.  It wasnt a daily driver by any means but it didnt sit that 7 years in a darkened time capsule either.

johnnycharger

I'm glad to hear that they held up so good that makes it sound like a real valuable alternative!
:cheers: