News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

tranny fluid leak

Started by D13vyl, November 10, 2011, 07:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D13vyl

Hi Lads

My charger is in the bodyshop getting a make over, i had a phone call from the painter saying when he moved car there was a red patch of oil under her, does that sound like a tranny fluid leak. I had problems on sunday getting her into gear after sitting for 3 weeks any ideas what could be done?

thanks again

Rene ;)

Revelation 19:11 "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a BLACK CHARGER; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he does judge and make war."

BigBlackDodge

Yep....it's a tranny leak. You will have to crawl/look under the car and find it. Could be a minor fix or you might have to pull the transmission if it's leaking at the front seal.

BBD

JPL

Check the dipstick, make sure it's pushed in all the way.....

mopar0166

rear shaft seal or dip stick o ring

John_Kunkel

There are a half-dozen common leak points on the Torqueflite, the only way to know where it's leaking is to clean the area thoroughly and look for the source with a flashlight and mirror.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ACUDANUT

Welcome to the world of 727's..All mine leak if they sit. :brickwall:
Always have extra trany fluid when your ready to drive it.

cavemanno1

ours has started leaking as well plus it leaks engine oil now too!have her since april and part from the fuelpump,filter,gastank was nothing and now after 500mile she started leaking!very frustrating but at least the wife stop driving her like she stole it!

covet66

Seal at shifter linkage leaked on ours- the hole was out of round as well I believe so needed an insert to fix.

jaak

Quote from: covet66 on November 10, 2011, 04:23:34 PM
Seal at shifter linkage leaked on ours- the hole was out of round as well I believe so needed an insert to fix.

Just finished up my project, I have a tranny leak, and this is where mine is leaking at.

Jason

67440chrg

Last year I made it my goal t fix all of my leaks during winter. Trany,oil and coolant. While I was fixing the rear trany seal I threw some new U joints in it. so this year I will probably make new ones if I get the money together to buy my 440 source heads. I have learned that if there is nothing that needs done I do something any way because I love to spend time with it in the winter.

djcarguy

had 2 of mine leak at shift shaft,,,,,,,,1 van room to fix it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dart had to unbolt trans from engine and tail mount pull it back off dowel pins and twist it over to change out seal,,big pain

jaak

Quote from: djcarguy on November 10, 2011, 10:43:23 PM
 had 2 of mine leak at shift shaft,,,,,,,,1 van room to fix it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dart had to unbolt trans from engine and tail mount pull it back off dowel pins and twist it over to change out seal,,big pain

yep, the Charger looks like its impossible to change in the car, probably just gonna drop the trans out this winter and change it out.

Jason

Bob

This is from a post I did in 2009. I actually changed my shifter seal while the transmission was still in the car.

Took about 30 minutes to get the old seal out with the transmission still in the car.
Removed the transmission mount, lowered the rear of the tranny. This will give enough room to play around. Disconnected the speedo cable, rear trans line, and linkages.
Removed the 2 shift/kick down arms.
Made a semi special tool, heated a long skinny 6" flat tip screwdriver bent to a 45 degree angle.
Pryed out old seal.
Remember to have the new seal ready to go in. The trans fluid ran into the drip pan since yesterday. About 2 quarts.
Today I will stop by NAPA and pick up the seal. 6 bucks.
I will use a socket and tap the new seal into place.
It's a good thing I had a spare tranny in the garage to practice on.
So, it is possible to change the seal with the tranny in the car.
There is actually 2 seals. There is a small rubber one that goes over the kick down rod that goes up through the shift select shaft. This one was not leaking. I used a mirror and observed the shift shaft seal for an hour and sure enough that is where the leak was.

It was easy installing the seal. Place a socket over it, use a small hammer and tap it right into place. I checked this morning after topping off the fluid last evening and not one little drop. Saved a lot of time and hassle by doing it this way.
Bob