News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much does a tic-toc-tach go for?

Started by Dino, November 10, 2011, 09:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Looking around for one but not a clue what they are worth.  I also have electronic ignition so not sure if I need to look for a nos tach or repro.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

68blue

Bought mine from Y1 and use it with an MSD, no issues. They aren't cheap but I really wanted one for the car even though it came with a clock.

elacruze

Buddy just found an NOS tic-toc in the factory packaging. We're trying to figure out some value, too...
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Dino

Found a guy locally selling one for $500, nos, seems a bit steep.  Another for $300 but needs to be calibrated, needle rests around the 200 rpm mark instead of zero.

resq302

FYI- they were never really that acurate from day 1.  Even the clock tended to break shortly after the car was sold.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Dino

Quote from: resq302 on November 10, 2011, 12:58:23 PM
FYI- they were never really that acurate from day 1.  Even the clock tended to break shortly after the car was sold.

Yeah that's the other problem, it's a lot of money for a tach that pretty much is there for looks.  Anyway, the one I was talking about is on ebay, buy it now is $335 I think, I'm passing on it but someone else may want it.

Maybe I'll just upgrade the clock to quartz, it's not that I really need a tach with an auto.

resq302

If you are going to upgrade it anyway, why not just get the repro ones that already have the quartz clock in it?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Dino

Quote from: resq302 on November 10, 2011, 01:07:21 PM
If you are going to upgrade it anyway, why not just get the repro ones that already have the quartz clock in it?

Are you talking about a repro clock or tic-toc-tach?  If the repro tach for $400 has a quartz clock AND works with the electronic ignition....that would make the deal a bit sweeter.

If it's the clock then I would have to either upgrade and fix mine (stem broke) or get another one. 

Brock Lee

6 months ago I sold one unrestored on eBay for $275. I too have electronic ignition. It seemed like a better deal to just sell that one and buy a new unit than go through that one. If it was stock to my car, I would have just fixed that one.

jaak

I sold a nice used one on eBay a couple of years ago for around 300 bucks.

Jason

Tilar

Quote from: resq302 on November 10, 2011, 12:58:23 PM

The main problem with the factory clocks were they wroked till the battery went dead the first time. These clocks have a set of points in them that when they close, The arc makes them spring back open winding the clock again. When the battery goes dead, the points stay closed and basically fuse together making the clock inoperable. Most times you can pop open the points with a small screw driver, Clean them with some fine sand paper and they work again.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.