News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Installed FAST EZ EFI ON THE RT

Started by snagm z, November 09, 2011, 06:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snagm z

I should have picked bowling as a hobby.
Darn mopar B bodies it's an illness.
Theres always room for one more Charger

snagm z

took my son so he could see

Paul G

I am really liking that. So you gained power by installing the EFI, is that correct? Seems to me the carb you were using must have been way out of tune. Carb tuning is not the easiest thing to do. Lots of trial and error.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

AirborneSilva

If I was reading that right you gained 100 HP and almost the same on torque, that's substantial!  Or was I reading it wrong  :shruggy:

snagm z

You are reading it right. Now as far as carb adjustment. I tried 3 different carbs from 3 different manufactures and had it tuned by " the professionals" and they couldn't tune those carb's any better then i did. You cannot compare the two fuel management systems. EFI in large displacement motors tuned correctly will give you those type of gains. I still have to go back and finish my tune. Once i get my exhaust leak fixed so can tune tune the 4500 to 6000 rpm rang of the motor. With the ez efi from fast you can let the auto learning selection of the ecu or you can have it tuned by a pro. I picked this shop because they mainly tume sport imports. i have seen the dyno sheets on what they can do. I'm still a little wet with my mix once i get it dialed in I will see what i get. thanks for the posts and input.

steve

AirborneSilva

damn Steve, that's awesome!  I was thinking of getting one, now I guess I need to start saving  :yesnod:

1970Moparmann

Steve, how bad is the install?  Good weekend job?
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

MSRacing89

Guys let's not get too excited about the gains that Steve saw on his engine.  We do not know all the in's and out's of what was going on with his carb combination.  All I can say is with our built Stage 5 BIGS 750 compared to the EZ system, we saw minimal gains.  We actually lost just a bit on the higher RPMS and gained a bit of low end torque.  When I say little, I mean 10hp +/-.  There are way to many variables for everyone to assume they will have gains of that nature.  You will notice an instant throttle response difference and obviously performance gains over an undersized or undertuned Carb.

My combo is an 11:1, alumimun headed 440, making 525hp at the crank.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

FLG

I agree...for a 100hp increase theres more going on there than meets the eye (not saying its BS, just saying 100hp isnt because of the efi)

Most ive seen manufacturers say is a 10-15hp increase and of course the added throttle response.

Budnicks

Quote from: FLG on November 18, 2011, 04:12:50 PM
I agree...for a 100hp increase theres more going on there than meets the eye (not saying its BS, just saying 100hp isnt because of the efi)

Most ive seen manufacturers say is a 10-15hp increase and of course the added throttle response.
Just my opinion, but I would tend to agree  :2thumbs:, unless his original combo was so far off of tune, that it hurt the engines in power, way too lean or way too fat, way wrong CFM, way wrong ignition timing or cam installation, etc., not saying it can't happen, but there's "almost" no way the difference between the 2 will make 100hp difference if the carburetor combo is tuned correctly, "maybe" near that at 1 point or another in the power range but not overall, :shruggy: there had/has to be something different that's not be told or talked about in the combo...   :Twocents:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

AirborneSilva

yeah I thought that was kinda odd, I mean I'm glad he (Steve), got those gains but it did sound too good to be true.  I guess I would do it for the convenience and reliability.

Paul G

Quote from: AirborneSilva on November 18, 2011, 05:57:52 PM
yeah I thought that was kinda odd, I mean I'm glad he (Steve), got those gains but it did sound too good to be true.  I guess I would do it for the convenience and reliability.

I agree with the convienence and reliability. Turn the key and the engine starts and runs smoothly there after. Instant throttle response and a wee bit better fuel economy. All the right reasons to go EFI. It's on my list, just waiting for $3 g's to fall out of a tree right in front me, it could happen!!
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Paul G on November 18, 2011, 06:16:35 PM
, just waiting for $3 g's to fall out of a tree right in front me, it could happen!!

yeah that's the hard part, if you find that tree let me know  :icon_smile_big:

jb666

Unfortunately, I can not say I gained 100HP from the EFI swap.. I had the blower/carb setup first, and switching to the EFI gave me 20RWHP more.. And the car setup was tuned to perfection..

Now, I will agree that it gave incredible throttle response and (once tuned properly) amazing driveability..  But, were there times I wish I had stayed with a carb setup? SURE.. Especially when I look at the amount of $$ it cost for the setup and the aggravation to tune it properly.. And yes, the "self learning" software came out a season AFTER I fought with tune issues...

AirborneSilva

Yeah it is a big chunk of change and I still have to do a crap load of work on the car itself so and efi is a project for down the road.

MSRacing89

Might I make a suggestion to the "on the fence" guys.  Work on the your fuel system first.  Build it right with a full return system using quality lines and fittings.  I mean teflon lined hose and AN fittings.  Build it around your carb set-up using an electronic fuel pump and a return type regulator.  Make it so you just pop in the required EFI pump and regulator along with your EFI kit and you are all good to go.  It may sound like extra work but a carb system with an electronic pump and a circulating system does wonders for drivability.  Then you can make the decision to upgrade to EFI down the road.  There will be many of these EFI systems to chose from in the years to come and prices will eventually be half in no time.  Darn it!  I already bought everything!!

If you are looking for top of the line very quiet and reliable EFI pump, go look at Weldon Racing Pumps.  This is one of the companies I work with on the car and their pumps are second to none. I use the model# A600-A. http://www.weldonracing.com/  
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

snagm z

Well here you go. Since there seems to be some debate about My carb tuning abilities.

Block - 7.2 440. 71 casting
Bored .030 over from (4.32)stock to (4.35)
stock connecting rods with a 3.75 stroke
446 cubic inches (rounded up) at 7.3 liters
Keith Black Hypereutectic pistons
Edelbrock 84 cc Performer heads
Edelbrock Performer intake mainfold
Lunati Cam.... VDBCR-276 grind Part # 60304
Hooker Super Comp Headers
MSD ignition 6A... timing was never the issue checked verified checked and verified again.

1st carb was a 650 edlebrock performer just a tad small for the motor tuned it for about a month carb was "junk"
2ND carb 750 Holley hp perfect size if you do the math tuned for about a week every night trying to get it to work better "also junk"
3rd  800 eldebrock performer   a bit larger same result this is the carb from the initial dyno now I tried to tune. Then I had every racing yahoo who had any street credit and many " Engine Builders"  I had people at Carslie. At English town, Cecil County, Mason Dix  every where I went. The car ran fine but it just didnt give me what i thought it should. I have driven and raced these cars for a while So im not new to the game. I guess you guys believe that I like having close to $1400.00 in carbs sitting on the workbench collecting dust! Everyone is always entitled to there opinions but facts are facts.This is what the EZ EFI with some tuning on the dyno did for me.

snagm z

msracing 89
is right on the money. plumb your cars with the intention of upgrading later. that's the biggest pain in the butt about the entire install. Also besides the provided fuel filter. you might want to install a see through throw away filter from NAPA. the sediment in the older tanks gets sucked up quick. If that crap clogs the inlet screen of your pump. It will kill your Pump and diminish performance

Dino

There is so much to learn I wish I could have all this stuff downloaded into my head 'Matrix' style!

I have no idea where to begin on adding a fuel pump and return line so that's one more thing to go learn about.  So if you add an electric fuel pump you get rid of the mechanical pump?

I admit I like the idea of installing these things if only to make the carb system better.  Having everything installed to make an efi swap easier is a big bonus.  Should this be one of those almost mandatory mods like installing relays for the headlights?  (which I have yet to do as well....)
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.