News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trailer winch ????

Started by Highbanked Hauler, November 09, 2011, 01:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

How heavy a winch do you need for pulling a race car on a trailer ? I am thinking about 3000  pounds as it is rolling weight ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I think the winch I last used on a hauler was either 7k or 9k...

John_Kunkel

The winch required depends on the weight and the ramp angle.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

nvrbdn

right, the angle of the ramp multiplies the weight. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Highbanked Hauler

Aren't winches rated on a vertical lift more than the strength of the cable ?  Figure a B-Body is close to 4K so 5K should cover it  :shruggy: ..
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

kab69440

Basic rule of thumb... Use a winch with a line pull rating at least 2x the weight of whatever you are dragging. For instance my EZGO weighs about 1300#. My winch is 3,000#. Mudders will use winches 4x vehicle weight to account for the additional "weight" added by the suction of being stuck in a bog.

Per your original post, a 3k winch might pull a car onto a trailer(assuming no frozen brakes or flat tires), however I can tell you that my 3k winch has a 3/16" cable. I would not trust that overgrown fishing line to drag my Charger up an incline.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

vancamp

you can get a new smittybilt #8000lb for $299.99 or a warn for about $500

nvrbdn

a dead weight with 4 tires pulled on a flat ground will give x amount of resistance. when it hits an uphill grade the resistance goes up when still pulled from the same point. so a 3000 lb car hitting a ramp will be much harder to pull than a 3000 lb car on a flat surface.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Aero426

Winches are rated at pulling a vertical weight.    A 4000 lb rolling Charger being pulled onto a typical open or enclosed trailer can be safely done with a 3000 lb winch.    If you consult the Superwinch site, a 3000 lb winch will pull 10,251 lbs up a 20% grade which is about what an enclosed trailer door with a small flip out is.    Here is the PDF "Choosing the Right Winch" with the information.    

http://cdn.shptrn.com/media/mfg/4377/media_document/4398/WhatMostPeopleDontKnowAboutWinching.pdf?1289591024

Once again, a winching a rolling vehicle is easier than pulling dead weight, or a vertical pull.    

HalfastJav

This works out pretty good for us...........  10,000 lb Warn has loaded tons of cars including a 69 Caddy from new mexico to our shop and a 77 chev 26' ft motorhome. As well as front clips, rollovers,etc. Cool thing about it is there is a receiver on the trailer AND the front and back of the truck.     Dodge of course......... try not to vomit  :eek2: on the Camaro structure, its off my GFs car

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: vancamp on November 09, 2011, 05:59:02 PM
you can get a new smittybilt #8000lb for $299.99 or a warn for about $500

Yea I am going to look into something like that as I am done pulling a car on with a come-along and chain and I have done it quite a few times. I am always one to get the right tool for the job..  Any reason you couldn't power a winch with a jumper box instead of a battery or a line from the truck?
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

kab69440

The winch doesn't care where the power comes from, as long as it gets there. If the motorcycle battery in your jumper box can supply enough amps to drag the car up the ramp, why not use it? I personally would just use a spare starting or trolling motor battery. Use it when you need it and put it back on the maintainer when you don't.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Todd Wilson

Get a really good expensive winch. I got one of the el cheapo's and it wont pull a dead whore out of bed............let along a vehicle up on a trailer!

Todd

HalfastJav

Quote from: Todd Wilson on November 11, 2011, 12:40:37 AM
Get a really good expensive winch. I got one of the el cheapo's and it wont pull a dead whore out of bed............let along a vehicle up on a trailer!

Todd

Nice...... i like whores..........

Cooter

I always like to over buy when it comes to weight, just in case you everhave to winch one that has stuck/missing brakes/wheels...I like right around 5000LB...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Cooter on November 11, 2011, 08:03:25 AM
I always like to over buy when it comes to weight, just in case you everhave to winch one that has stuck/missing brakes/wheels...I like right around 5000LB...

Yea I think that is about where I am headed,5K or more..
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Daytona R/T SE

I have a 4500 lb Superwinch on my trailer.

It has pulled a deceased 71 Imperial up onto my trailer without a problem...

elacruze

I know guys who use 3000lb winches from Harbor Frieght frequently and successfully to load their cars, but since the cost difference is relatively low and the safety/risk factor exponential I'd personally use at least a brand-name 5000+lb unit.

Everything you ever needed to know about vehicle recovery;

http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/

It's plain to see that loading your car in your driveway can require nearly twice actual weight in winch capacity.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Tilar

Quote from: HalfastJav on November 09, 2011, 09:15:32 PM
try not to vomit  :eek2: on the Camaro structure, its off my GFs car

I still have a new factory plastic piece that goes over that. I bought it back in the early 90's for an 81 or 82 Camaro that I gave my son. He took the car apart and thats as far as he got. It went away in pieces.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.