News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The best way to adjust the carb

Started by 66FBCharger, November 23, 2011, 12:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

It has been a while since I have worked on carburated cars. What is the best way to adjust the idle mixture screws? Do you adjust for the highest idle speed or do you adjust with a vacuum gauge?
Specifically I am talking about an Edelbrock AFB on a '69 440.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Cooter

Get yourself a vacuum gauge first and adjust until you get the highest reading.. Adjust idle mixture screws until you can almost back the idle screw all the way out. If stock, should be able to almost stall engine with idle SPEED screw. Most have the mixture screws adjusted way too rich and compensate for this by running the idle speed screw in further.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

66FBCharger

Thanks Cooter. I am going to try to find some time to try this out this weekend.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

Chryco Psycho

start setting them about 2 turns out from the bottom , then with it running turn the screws out equally until the rpm quits rising , turn them in until it just starts dropping rpm again , leave them basically at the peak rpm without excessive extra fuel

66FBCharger

I am assuming that turning the idle mixture screws in, leans the carb out. Correct?

Chryco Psycho

yes
I would also remove the top of the carb & check the float levels too , they should be 7/16 - 3/8 " at the toe of the float