News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New here. A bit overwhelmed...

Started by Wolfie, November 10, 2011, 02:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfie

ill go ahead and say it - i know *very* little about cars,  other than the fact that i can appreciate them and all the work that goes into them.
that said, im really really wanting to learn more, and this forum has really lit a fire under my ass to do so. i was wondering where the best places online, or books, that could help me learn the basics? i ordered a chilton 64-71 auto repair manual, hoping it would help me learn more (which would help me diagnose possible problems and be better informed if i have to take my car in to a shop) - but its obviously geared towards mechanics and people with far more understanding and experience than i.

i guess id like to know, how you all learned so much and if there are any tips or directions you could help point me in to aid me on this 'journey'.
sadly i dont have any friends, or a father who was a grease monkey type, so im basically going it alone. any help is greatly appreciated!
cheers!
:cheers:
New to the muscle car/mopar addiction so bare with the "dumb" things I'm likely to ask all of you. Just trying to learn and gotta start somewhere! Cheers!

Paul G

Welcome to the site. It is a great place to hang out.

As for "where did we learn about cars", for me it was necessity. Little money and a broken car. I learned how to do it my self. The factory repair manuals are the best source of information pertaining to specific repairs. But they assume you already have the mechanical skills and tools to work with. 

I can remember when I was a kid, I would just read through Motors manuals my brother in law had. Motors is like Chilton's only better.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Budnicks

Welcome to the site, I too would suggest buying a "Factory Service Manual" for your specific, year, make & model of your car, they are far better, than just a generic repair manual... Try Mancini Racing they are a  great resource for, books, tech services, engine services & Mopar specific parts... Good luck with your projects...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Dave Kanofsky

Welcome to the site!

What car do you have?
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

41husk

Welcome many of us myself included are learning every day.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

68X426

Welcome Wolfie.  :cheers:

I know so little I am dangerous.  :D

Check out your local community college. They very likely have intro classes that can give you a great start on cars. And over time you can move up the knowledge ladder as far as you want. Great way to meet chicks - lots of fine ladies want to learn about cars too.  :yesnod:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

b5blue

Hello and welcome, why not post a few basic questions here on what you're trying to learn first? I'm certain many of us would help you. You can order a factory service manual from BISHKO BOOKS, their phone number is 1-800-544-3312. He has a website at www.autobooksbishko.com and an eBay store also.  :2thumbs:

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: Wolfie on November 10, 2011, 02:40:42 PM
ill go ahead and say it - i know *very* little about cars,  other than the fact that i can appreciate them and all the work that goes into them.
that said, I'm really really wanting to learn more, and this forum has really lit a fire under my ass to do so. i was wondering where the best places online, or books, that could help me learn the basics? i ordered a chilton 64-71 auto repair manual, hoping it would help me learn more (which would help me diagnose possible problems and be better informed if i have to take my car in to a shop) - but its obviously geared towards mechanics and people with far more understanding and experience than i.

i guess id like to know, how you all learned so much and if there are any tips or directions you could help point me in to aid me on this 'journey'.
sadly i dont have any friends, or a father who was a grease monkey type, so im basically going it alone. any help is greatly appreciated!
cheers!
:cheers:

Welcome to this disease... I mean hobby, I am less than a year old here on the site and a mid life charger guy.  Honesty a little more about you, your goals, short term needs and information on your car would likely help with discussion ...directions that people here could help you and based on your actual needs of the moment.  The no friends or dad thing pulls on the heart a little, but I would not let that scare you.  At 14 I bought my first 69 never changing oil even at that age, did have a brother in-law that helped quite a bit, but it was not long before I met and "networked" as the car required. Over time met some great people and by now frankly.. easily over half my good friends are car people (some mopar but not most).  If I had someone ask me what to start off wi th, I would say not a builder been off the road 20yrs from back pasture, but a driving car at minimum and try to choose the year car you really want whatever that is so you do not have the "I wish" to badly, we all have that want....nicer, faster, rare, mod rod, more cars whatever (that is the disease part).  But above all my ten cents is always remember it is a hobby for fun (not work/investment BS) :Twocents:  Photos-info on your car or what you are looking for will spark conversation.   :cheers:

XS29LA47V21

Ok, should have surfed a little before comment, sorry bout' dat. 

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,64619.msg969581.html#msg969581

Your car look great :drool5:, nice.. love those slots :drool5:, PM me when you are ready to get rid of those old dogs :icon_smile_big:  Noticed your question regarding converting to disc's, I understand that is a "go to" often times, but if the car or car thing is new to you, might consider learning the driving manners of the original brakes ....and are working well I assume (aren't broke).  Drive for at least a yr, have fun.. which would also prove the cars relability for you and your efforts keeping it bullet proof (mentally and financially).  Fixing what needs to be addressed for relability and safety.  Just some thoughts   :Twocents:

Topher

Some of us are born into it. I did my first paying job at age 11, a set of points and condensor in a 72 Poncho wagon. Tinkered on stuff, then started working at a full service service station at age 14. First job there(between pumping gas and cleaning windshields) was to pull the head off a 58 Chevy truck. Then hanging out with guys with hot rods, customs, and muscle cars along the way has helped teach me different things.

Where are you located? Finding someone near you to hang out with and learn from will help you alot. Be sure to ask as many questions as you have.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

Fred

Welcome. You'll be amazed at all the info available to you. There are some very knowledgeable people here. Always happy to help out.  :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

bill440rt

Welcome to DC.com!!  :cheers: :cheers:

LOTS of helpful people on this 'site, so don't be afraid to ask questions.

If you don't have any friends or relatives in your area that can help or teach you, consider joining a local car club. Go to cruise nights, car show events, whatever you can to meet other car enthusiasts.
If you have the time, look into your local community colleges or vo-tech schools. Many of these schools offer night courses in auto mechanics or auto body. It's a great way to learn hands on, and in many cases you'll get to work on your own car to boot!

Good luck, and welcome aboard!  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

TK73

I knew just enough to keep a car going when I got here...

Picked up my '73 in 2000.  Had to do the general maintenance stuff to make sure it was road-safe.

A)  Found a Mopar club near my house and spent a LOT of time around gearheads.  Got involved with club activities ad spent countless hours around old cars and the guys who owned 'em always liked to talk tech.  They LOVE to teach the new guys about their cars, certainly appreciated that!! 

B)  Picked up some books; repair manuals, engine building, performance upgrades... and LOTSA car magazines.  The magazines get ya familiar with car general car stuff in their featured cars BUT the tech sections get ya more detail...

C)  Bought another old car (Fury) and tore into things as the car was not drivable. Learned some there and got more "hands on"

D)  Thanks to this site I met a lot of local guys.  One of which I am learning a WHOLE lot about Chargers from; we're currently "Ratifying" my Ride (RIPPIN 440 wrapped in Hot Rod flat black sheet metal)

To me the definition of "Gearhead" is somebody who modifies their car with performance upgrades as opposed to just upkeep.

I'm earning my Gearhead status with the '73   

Stick around and learn!!  :cheers:

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bobs66440

I learned through necessity. When I was a kid I could only afford crappy cars, so I spent a lot of time working on them.

Suggestion: join a local car club. There's always someone who needs help with one of their cars and sometimes it's nice to have the help.

Also, as stated, a service manual is essential if you plan on doing any real work...