News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona 6 pack

Started by boss429kiwi, November 07, 2011, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boss429kiwi

Beginners to MOPARS Question:

I believe the 6 pack was not an option for the Daytona?
WHY?

Gary
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

Aero426

I believe that adding another specialty option kit like the 6-pack would add another level of complexity to what was already a crash program.   Potentially, you could have supplier issues and lead times to figure in too.    Now once the Six Pack was officially a regular production item for 1970, it was a different proposition for the Superbird.  

The bottom line is the cars were built to get them out the door.

hemigeno

Plus, the only air cleaner they had for the 6bbl configuration in 1969 was a fresh-air version - meaning it would have required a hood scoop.  Since they weren't putting hood scoops on the oval-track aero cars (or any II Generation Charger for that matter, which I personally think sorta stinks), the engineers would have had to make yet another design change - not to mention the fairly extensive engineering parameters outlined for the A12 program in general.  As Doug said, another specialty option like the 6bbl would have been just too much.  

Quote from: Aero426 on November 07, 2011, 07:40:21 PM
The bottom line is the cars were built to get them out the door.

:yesnod:

65post

Hood scoops on 2nd gen Chargers...  :eek2: :Twocents:
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

41husk

Ram charger set up would be cool!! :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Aero426

Don't forget the original concept drawing of the Daytona had a NACA scoop in the hood.   This is the setup that was tested full scale on a Charger 500 race car.   More development was needed and ultimately that did not occur.  

The thing to consider regarding the addition of a Six Pack is that not only was the window to get the cars done very tight,  but the Six Pack would contribute nothing to the real purpose of the Daytona project (racing).    The consumer side of actually selling the 500 cars, perfectly equipped or not, could be considered secondary to the real mission.  

hemigeno

Quote from: 41husk on November 08, 2011, 01:00:27 PM
Ram charger set up would be cool!! :Twocents:

:iagree:

I lost the photo of a black '70 Charger R/T with the vacuum-actuated scoop grafted on when my computer crashed a few years back (Chris G. posting, perhaps?)  Looked pretty wicked IMHO.

Side question about the scoops: would NASCAR have allowed the NACA scoop had the additional testing been completed & perfected?  Seems like that would have been a big dust-up, as much as the purpose-built aero cars were in the first place.  Just curious...

moparstuart

:popcrn: :popcrn:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

Quote from: hemigeno on November 08, 2011, 02:15:30 PM
Side question about the scoops: would NASCAR have allowed the NACA scoop had the additional testing been completed & perfected?  Seems like that would have been a big dust-up, as much as the purpose-built aero cars were in the first place.  Just curious...

Ford would have balked for sure, but if it was included/homologated as part of the street car package, I don't see why it would be disallowed.  They got the fender scoops through.    Since fiberglass hoods were not allowed, tooling would have been $$$ for a unique steel hood.     

hotrod98

Stuart, That looks great. They should have made that an option. I love the air grabber hood that Tom built for my bird. I have a correct style Superbird hood but it will never be on my bird. I just like the air grabber too much.
AMD should build those hoods for 68, 69 and 70 Chargers.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Old Moparz

Quote from: hotrod98 on November 08, 2011, 04:33:50 PM
Stuart, That looks great. They should have made that an option. I love the air grabber hood that Tom built for my bird. I have a correct style Superbird hood but it will never be on my bird. I just like the air grabber too much.
AMD should build those hoods for 68, 69 and 70 Chargers.

I wonder how difficult that would be since they already have '70 Plymouth A/G hoods & the '68-'69 Charger hoods. I doubt it would be cost effective for them, but it would be pretty cool.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

69 DAYTONA

...my Daytona has a dealer installed 6-PACK...doccumentation shows it was done when the car had only 17 miles on it

Aero426

69 DAYTONA

nascarxx29

The other 6 pack daytonas are Y2 Bill Sefton car that was Gary Forbus and before that James Outlers.And the V2 first Canadian SE daytona.I actually never seen a daytona invoice showing the added on 6 pack listing.On another note I got a picture of the Hurst Charger Madera is has a air grabber hood

Bil Sefton Y2 6 pack daytona

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,59013.0.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

Larry did you buy your old car back?

69 DAYTONA

...years ago, I thought there was a 3rd Daytona with a 6-PACK, Bill says just 2, his and mine...

...mine has a small brown envelope from Creative Customs (3x6 in) showing the Vin, vehicle order number which matches the B-Cast sheet, drivers name(can't make it out), "Creative=17 mi", bay number 52/53 and finally an "OK to ship"...it has several small clips etc inside the envelope...

...next, the Daytona has the original window sticker/B-Cast sheet, owners manual and the warranty booklet...warranty book states car arrived at Shope Motors Sept 19, 1969...dealer code, 0523 B63, date validated, Sept 19, 1969 and mileage 17...exact wording in warranty booklet reads "Engine intake system modified this delivery date to multiple carburation. Field warranty in effect"...signed by the owner of Shope Motors...delivery acknoweledgment is also filled out with new owners name, dealer info address...I purchased the car in 1988 or so with 6,500 original miles, today it has 9,400 miles...the original owner didn't title the car until June 14, 1972

69 DAYTONA

Quote from: 69_500 on November 09, 2011, 08:46:36 PM
Larry did you buy your old car back?

...a little over 2 years ago...glad to have it home again

...hard to imagine, as much as I like to take pix of my cars, I haven't got any good shots of it at all

held1823

it's looking like you may have to evict the hair salon for some extra garage space. i've got to catch you there soon, to swoon over the eye candy.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

69_500

Correct me if I am wrong but this is the same one that used to have a nice blue paint job right?

69 DAYTONA

Quote from: held1823 on November 09, 2011, 09:08:02 PM
it's looking like you may have to evict the hair salon for some extra garage space. i've got to catch you there soon, to swoon over the eye candy.

...hard to catch there, just call me...the Project car should be there soon too

69 DAYTONA

Quote from: 69_500 on November 09, 2011, 09:25:29 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but this is the same one that used to have a nice blue paint job right?

...yes, it was painted Plum Crazy and Gold when it was just 6 weeks old, 1972 or so it was painted in the Petty scheme...it was repainted to the correct color, R4 Red, in 1995 I think...all else is factory original except the paint

...it's a long story, but my dad (in pix) was a partner in the purchase of the Daytona in 1988, he also loved to drive it to lunch on Sunday...someone was always rushing him to try and buy it...he loved to tell them it only had 6K miles on it and he didn't need another new car yet, but he would call them when he was ready to sell it...it was funny, they knew he was old and hoped they wouldn't have to wait too long, LOL... we decided to find it a new home in 1995 or so, than in 2009 it came back to me...it will never leave again